PDA

View Full Version : REALLY FAST dumb CALIPER painting question

intel
06-27-2009, 07:09 PM
just read someone elses dumb ass caliper question thread so i figured.. ill ask a dumb one too!

what method do people use to mask off the words when painting calipers? is everyone just really good with masking tape or using some other substance?

IE LIKE THIS

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x194/coochiefrito1210/Picture167.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii271/pumaallstar/Powder%20Coating/025.jpg

theAngryMarmot
06-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Miata VC FTW

The miata VC has rasied lettering stickers, for on miatas the letter are "sunk" into the cover.

but,

with the raised letters, paint, then grind the paint off the raised part
other than that use a vinyl sticker

I have a couple of these I use :

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FRF/IOMM/F9AZJK09/FRFIOMMF9AZJK09.MEDIUM.jpg

intel
06-27-2009, 10:41 PM
OMGGGGGGGGGG soo crazy yet simple! thanks tons!

ehb/crx
06-27-2009, 11:43 PM
You can also coat the letters with chap stick! I did that on my VC and once it was dry I wiped it off and it came off right away.

take your time doing it htough since it can get everywhere fast. Good luck.

jakellama123
06-28-2009, 02:20 AM
chapstick is good
or using masking tape and a razorblade

atomicx
06-28-2009, 06:49 AM
fuck i used chapstick and it melt all over the place... my valve cover looks fucken ghetto as hell now..=[

jakellama123
06-28-2009, 12:31 PM
fuck i used chapstick and it melt all over the place... my valve cover looks fucken ghetto as hell now..=[

how did it "melt" all over the place?

xg1rgx
06-28-2009, 01:47 PM
how did it "melt" all over the place?

probably because he did it the right way and cooked the vc in the oven and the chapstick melted from the heat dripping down onto the rest of the vc ruining the paint there too

atomicx
06-28-2009, 02:08 PM
probably because he did it the right way and cooked the vc in the oven and the chapstick melted from the heat dripping down onto the rest of the vc ruining the paint there too

exactly now i have to do it all over again, never chap stick again, im just gonna get it powdercoated by the professionals.

die in a dick fire noob
06-30-2009, 01:51 PM
what you do is you use the chapstick, i use vasoline, works the same... you paint it, let it dry, remove the vasoline (or chapstick) then bake the paint if you want to.

i usually use high temp paint and don't bother baking it because it's not NECESSARY... i do recommend baking i just never do it because the wife will bitch.

DarkAngel
11-20-2009, 05:21 AM
what you do is you use the chapstick, i use vasoline, works the same... you paint it, let it dry, remove the vasoline (or chapstick) then bake the paint if you want to.

i usually use high temp paint and don't bother baking it because it's not NECESSARY... i do recommend baking i just never do it because the wife will bitch.

LOL x2. Kind of missed a step there atomicx.

What I do is strip them with Aircraft Remover (Be careful no to spray it in the air or you will have a B52 come down on you) and after, lightly sand them. Primer and then paint what ever I am going to use on them. After its dry and I have put it in the sun for a couple of hours I have at it with my dremel with sanding disc/drums. I use the cable attachment so I have more control on what I do when i sand. After that I get some 1000 or 2000 grit and go over it to give it a more polished look on the lettering. Always works for me this way. Gonna do one of the fake Mugen Covers I have on my other engine to swap it in my current GSR. Should not be that hard to do at all. I would let it dry over night though after you paint it unless you bake it.

X2 on the wife complaining.......

korax123
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM

Make sure the vasoline is on think. I tried it once and the thinner parts paint still got to it.

jakellama123
02-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Make sure the vasoline is on think. I tried it once and the thinner parts paint still got to it.

cool story
too bad this thread is old dumb shit

Civicious
02-18-2010, 02:24 AM
ahahahahahahahahah