PDA

View Full Version : SoS NSX on modified.com

topramn
07-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Check it out. Mike Speck did a test drive and article.

http://www.modified.com/roadtests/modp-0907-scienceofspeed-1992-acura-nsx/index.html

JDMSICKNESS
07-27-2009, 08:01 AM
One of the few vehicles in the Modified Mag event with full interior, air conditioning, and no roll cage. And yet walks away with first in the rwd class and 5th overall, just shows how capable the nsx can be on the track. Mike specs write up was a good read as well, a very talented driver to say the least.

Phantomeg
07-28-2009, 05:50 AM
^^The SOS NSX is hardly a street car...This car was purposely built for the track...

fmx_dbc
07-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Awesome article! That thing really is incredibly fast! I clearly remember the moment that it passed me at Firebird East. Went ripping by on the inside of me going into turn 1, the tires literally clawing at the pavement for traction with the rear end doing a little dance and the exhaust singing it's sweet tune...Wow!

asianricer69
07-28-2009, 08:11 AM
yea article is really good... was always a fan of sos nsx,especially the all carbon one

iApex
07-28-2009, 02:14 PM
^^The SOS NSX is hardly a street car...This car was purposely built for the track...

He know's he built it. Although I do believe it is street legal. None the less you have to respect good work, and that is a very well built NSX. The NSX platform is capable of so much even stock or slightly modded.

Tage
07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Not trying to knock the NSX but here are some facts...

Air conditioning and "full interior" does not add/reduce that much weight. Less than 75 lbs which is going to be hardly noticable with a car like that. It's not like it will knock a second off it's lap times.

Also the comment that it doesn't have a rollcage I am not sure what that is suppose to mean. Rollcages are designed for safety, not performance. Due to the fact that they add weight everyone tries to take advantage of stiffening up the chassis. In the case with my Civic, overall the car was slower. The chassis stiffening did not overcome the added weight. For many cars it's a wash but in the end I think it's dumb to build a really fast car without a critical safety item like this.

I love the NSX and thing they look awesome but I think they are turds on the track. In stock trim they aren't any faster than a Bseries hatch and coilovers. :-o Lightly modified they still aren't all that great. You have to do a LOT to get them to be fast. This doesn't change my love for the NSX, just saying if you come across a fast NSX, it's because the owner put a lot of time and money into it.

iApex
07-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Not trying to knock the NSX but here are some facts...

Air conditioning and "full interior" does not add/reduce that much weight. Less than 75 lbs which is going to be hardly noticable with a car like that. It's not like it will knock a second off it's lap times.

Also the comment that it doesn't have a rollcage I am not sure what that is suppose to mean. Rollcages are designed for safety, not performance. Due to the fact that they add weight everyone tries to take advantage of stiffening up the chassis. In the case with my Civic, overall the car was slower. The chassis stiffening did not overcome the added weight. For many cars it's a wash but in the end I think it's dumb to build a really fast car without a critical safety item like this.

I love the NSX and thing they look awesome but I think they are turds on the track. In stock trim they aren't any faster than a Bseries hatch and coilovers. :-o Lightly modified they still aren't all that great. You have to do a LOT to get them to be fast. This doesn't change my love for the NSX, just saying if you come across a fast NSX, it's because the owner put a lot of time and money into it.

While I know you know more then me about tracking cars and everything, I have to disagree. I have tracked both an NSX, and GSR enough to know that the NSX is a much more capable platform.

I have seen Billy Johnson do some pretty incredible stuff in all sorts for NSX's from stock to the FXMD NSX.

I do agree about the rolll cage though.

Tage
07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
I suppose I should clarify. The earlier NSX's were turds. I tracked a 91 and I thought something was wrong with it or VTEC wasn't working or something. The newer ones with the increased power and 6 speed I'm sure are better but unless they're about 30-40% faster they still aren't impressive in stock trim. The only NSX's they are impressive have significant power adders and other mods. I've yet to see an NSX with some bolted on upgraded suspension and I/H/E do anything impressive.

Another data point is the NSX "feels" good but the ultimate track performance (i.e. lap times) do not back up the feel. Sorta like the Mazda Miata. Mazda has this thing about making the car "feel" good and be fun to drive. I'm a track whore so I care about performance first and "feel" second.

P.S. GSR's are turds too! A Bseries swapped hatch will stomp a GSR all day long.

P.P.S. FXMD??? Dump $150K+ worth of mods into any car and of course it will become quite amazing!

P.P.P.S. The whole point of this thread is to give SOS props for building a sick NSX. Just trying to say as much as I love Honda's, the NSX is not all that.

JDMSICKNESS
07-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I was just stating some facts about the car, I agree about the roll cage as well. I wasn't trying to imply that this is the ultimate setup for the track, just a cool car thats all.

iApex
07-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I suppose I should clarify. The earlier NSX's were turds. I tracked a 91 and I thought something was wrong with it or VTEC wasn't working or something. The newer ones with the increased power and 6 speed I'm sure are better but unless they're about 30-40% faster they still aren't impressive in stock trim. The only NSX's they are impressive have significant power adders and other mods. I've yet to see an NSX with some bolted on upgraded suspension and I/H/E do anything impressive.

Another data point is the NSX "feels" good but the ultimate track performance (i.e. lap times) do not back up the feel. Sorta like the Mazda Miata. Mazda has this thing about making the car "feel" good and be fun to drive. I'm a track whore so I care about performance first and "feel" second.

P.S. GSR's are turds too! A Bseries swapped hatch will stomp a GSR all day long.

P.P.S. FXMD??? Dump $150K+ worth of mods into any car and of course it will become quite amazing!

P.P.P.S. The whole point of this thread is to give SOS props for building a sick NSX. Just trying to say as much as I love Honda's, the NSX is not all that.

True, but I have never seen a hatch set records either. Granted the NSX's I have driven were no where near stock, but I don't get the same inpression you do.

As for comparing a modded hatch to a stock GSR the hatch better win. My old GSR wasn't stock, and am pretty confident it would have kept up with a b swapped hatch just fine, which would have been a modded car to modded car. The only way a hatch would be quicker then a NSX is if the hatch was modded and the NSX was stock. The NSX platform alone has a huge advantage.

All that said the NSX is extremely under powered stock. But add FI, coilovers, rims, tires, sways, and ETC ( all things you would do to any car), and now you have a very competitive car.

I am not trying to argue, as I respect you Tage, and know you know what you are talking about, I just disagree.

ILIKETODRIVE
07-28-2009, 06:54 PM
What would a newer stock NSX on solid street tires roughly do at PIR? I'd put my bucket with Tage behind the wheel up against it. ;)

PS - props to SoS. That car is cleeeeen.

Tage
07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
What would a newer stock NSX on solid street tires roughly do at PIR? I'd put my bucket with Tage behind the wheel up against it. ;)

PS - props to SoS. That car is cleeeeen.

Thx for the props but I think your car would still get slightly edged out by a stock NSX regardless of the driver. Granted you're on the least grippy R-tire and a 205 at that. With 225 Hoosiers and a Bseries with VTAK and I think it would be a close battle.

Actually another data point I use is a guy I know who is a very good local autoxer and occasional Time Trial'r. He had one of the new NSX's back in late 90's. He ran it on good street tires as well as Hoosiers. He got tired of constantly getting beat by Corvettes (in the same class at the time) so he sold it and bought a C5 Z06 vette himself and he said it was significantly better at everything.

Not sure of his exact NSX PIR times but these were some of his other times -->

C5 Z06 (street tires): 1:10's
C5 Z06 (Hoosiers): Mid 1:08's
Porsche GT3: Low 1:07's
C6 Z06 (Hoosiers): Mid 1:06's

Based on the times above and assuming he is a good *benchmark driver* (i.e. consistent performance regardless of the car - which he is) I would estimate 1:11's.

ILIKETODRIVE
07-28-2009, 08:33 PM
1:11's would spank me on 225 Nitto's (my new tire; done with 205's after the 8th) and still best me on Hoosiers. It would be a good battle with Phil on Hoosiers. ;)

Kinetic
07-28-2009, 09:03 PM
I was just stating some facts about the car, I agree about the roll cage as well. I wasn't trying to imply that this is the ultimate setup for the track, just a cool car thats all.

your car will be on track soon enough sir....then you can argue with tage like all the rest of us mortals

Tage
07-28-2009, 09:50 PM
1:11's would spank me on 225 Nitto's (my new tire; done with 205's after the 8th) and still best me on Hoosiers. It would be a good battle with Phil on Hoosiers. ;)

That's because you don't have VTAK and Phil does!

comptonasskerry
07-29-2009, 02:24 AM

lol i tell hit that everyday. he just wont swap it but he knows deep down that he wants vtak

rudsone
07-29-2009, 02:26 AM
seckss!!!

http://image.modified.com/f/16536143+w750+st0/modp_0907_02+scienceofspeed_1992_honda_nsx+left.jp g

Mr.Burner
07-29-2009, 02:42 AM
nice car Chris!

just an over worked B series IMO nothings different in design, hell the vtec rockers, solenoid, LMA's, and head studs are all the same in fact.

I driven quite a few nsx's my self, and to me, my 2000 si k20 is more fun lol

The only nsx worth having is the JGTC car hahahahah

ILIKETODRIVE
07-29-2009, 01:15 PM

Well maybe on Hoosiers my car would have a fighting chance.

And I don't need VTAK to have fun!

iApex
07-29-2009, 01:48 PM

Amen!

Agent Smith
07-29-2009, 06:02 PM

vtec is over rated. we just need to toss a little snail on your car & wake it up :devil1:

comptonasskerry
07-29-2009, 08:33 PM

And IDOt need VTAK to have fun!

fixed

vtec is over rated. we just need to toss a little snail on your car & wake it up :devil1:

lol fail post of the day. ITS VTAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK ALLDAY

Agent Smith
07-29-2009, 09:00 PM
lol.

leadfootguy
07-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Sweet car.

ILIKETODRIVE
07-29-2009, 09:29 PM
we just need to toss a little snail on your car & wake it up :devil1:

gaysos

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o289/richard7968/a664d583.jpg