PDA

View Full Version : overheating

The God Damn Batman
08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Ill make it short. Car was runnin hot. Overheated and died. noticed the fan wasnt working and the radiaotr cap was shot. Replaced both the cap and the fan motor, last saturday. This morning on the way to work, stupid car is overheating again. all the way to red. Fan is still working. no coolant leaking...

is it the head gasket?

im just concerned because it went a few days with no issues. parked in idle for hours and let it run.. no over heating.. now all the sudden its doing it again. I have not checked the thermo yet. and there are no leaks in the pipes or radiator itself.:cry:

KeRmEt
08-06-2009, 09:09 AM
try replacing your thermo or just take it out and go from there..

The God Damn Batman
08-06-2009, 12:51 PM
wouldnt it have still given me problem though if the thermo was bad too?
im just concerned because 4 days went by no issues.

KeRmEt
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM
its either that or your sensor right there on your thermostat housing i cant think of the name right now for it but the sensor is cheap though so try that.

MrRline2010
08-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Raz run it to operating temp (170) and see if the thermostat opens. The only reason it's suggested to change is because its so cheap. To check if it's opening or not run to operating temp and check the upper radiator hose. This hose should be very hot. Then check your lower radiator hose. This hose should be the same temperature after its' hit (170). If not then your thermostat is not opening up. If this is the case dump the fluid and replace it.

If it's still overheating after that then it's most likely the head gasket. Get a compression test and see if the compression in the cylinders is off at all. I believe it should be around the 165 area for each cylinder. If it passes this the only other option you have is a leak down test of the cylinder. TTM does it and I think it was 40 bucks for the leak down when I had my head gasket replaced by them, but give josh a call if it's that. Pm me if you need anything or give my cell a call and I can walk you through it.

The God Damn Batman
08-06-2009, 02:46 PM
its either that or your sensor right there on your thermostat housing i cant think of the name right now for it but the sensor is cheap though so try that.
ill check that man.. thanks

Raz run it to operating temp (170) and see if the thermostat opens. The only reason it's suggested to change is because its so cheap. To check if it's opening or not run to operating temp and check the upper radiator hose. This hose should be very hot. Then check your lower radiator hose. This hose should be the same temperature after its' hit (170). If not then your thermostat is not opening up. If this is the case dump the fluid and replace it.

If it's still overheating after that then it's most likely the head gasket. Get a compression test and see if the compression in the cylinders is off at all. I believe it should be around the 165 area for each cylinder. If it passes this the only other option you have is a leak down test of the cylinder. TTM does it and I think it was 40 bucks for the leak down when I had my head gasket replaced by them, but give josh a call if it's that. Pm me if you need anything or give my cell a call and I can walk you through it.

thanks man Ill see if i have the time to do it tonight.. got tons of stuff going on. but thanks very much. its very stupid of me I know.. but i have no clue on how to do a compression test.. hope to god it is just the thermo.

worse case if it is determined HG, how much did u pay at TTM for install and everthing? also PM me your number again.. I got a new phone and #

thanks again for the info bud.. ill do it asap.

Jason.AZ1
08-06-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U8iNb21arw&feature=related
didnt watch the video but it should show you how to do it

The God Damn Batman
08-06-2009, 03:02 PM
^^^ill check it when im home thanks man

em2guy
08-07-2009, 10:56 AM
i have the prob its a broken wire in my fan switch . cuz i replaced everything and it still does it.

91tegc5
09-05-2009, 10:23 PM
mines is doing the same but my fan doesnt work so im working on changing that. Imma pm you for some help lol