PDA

View Full Version : clear coat peeling

blackouthx
08-22-2009, 08:32 PM
so my clear coat on the rear bumper is peeling off. Anybody want to give me some tips on fixing.

A) What can I use to remove the rest of the clear on the bumper?

B) Can I just respray it with a new clear and call it a day, if so what product do you recomend?

Anybody got a DIY for this?

thx

Medina
08-22-2009, 10:34 PM
you could possibly sand it down a bit using 1000-1200 grit and re clear, wet sand again and buff. but best bet would be to sand it down re coat with paint and re clear then wet sand/buff.

blackouthx
08-22-2009, 11:57 PM
I was messing with it and it looks like I will be able to just peel the clear all the way off, ill just throw some clear on after and see how it turns out. If it fails ill sand and start from scratch.

thx

Mr.Burner
08-24-2009, 01:43 PM
clear peeled on the si? i would take that shit back to the dealer...asap

as for peeling it off and re spraying it, it wont work unless you sand. it will have no surface to hold...it will pool up

MorningWood
08-25-2009, 12:37 PM
clear peeled on the si? i would take that shit back to the dealer...asap

as for peeling it off and re spraying it, it wont work unless you sand. it will have no surface to hold...it will pool up

once its started to peel HAVE to sand and repaint

AZ_CIVIC
08-25-2009, 12:46 PM
bring me your bumper and matching paint and clear, I will sand it, spray it, clear it, and buff it for $50 bucks.

Medina
08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
^^^ good deal that's as much as you will spend on materials

MorningWood
08-26-2009, 12:28 PM
^^^ good deal that's as much as you will spend on materials

ya cause i would have done it for 80 30 for my time and 50 in meterials lol

AZ_CIVIC
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
ya cause i would have done it for 80 30 for my time and 50 in meterials lol

Acutally it was 50 for my time and he brings materials. Materials will cost more than 50 depend
ing on what you get.

Dupont
50 per pint of dupont which color matches paint codes the smallest amount
20 per quart reducer which is the smallest amount you can buy
40 per quart clear which is the smallest amount you can buy
20 for catalyst

House of Kolors= does not paint match

Omni
1 quart is the smallest, but only cost like 30
Reducer they only sell by the gallon but I think it is like 30 or 40
clear is I think they sell by the quart
catalyst is by the quart as well.

If you want it done right with good paint I would go with Du Pont they can match match exactly to the color of your car by using the paint code and even you vin# there are more paints you can use but these are ones I am framiliar with shooting, I guess the point is materials will cost around 100-130 and labor is 50 and you get extra materials.

MorningWood
08-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Acutally it was 50 for my time and he brings materials. Materials will cost more than 50 depend
ing on what you get.

Dupont
50 per pint of dupont which color matches paint codes the smallest amount
20 per quart reducer which is the smallest amount you can buy
40 per quart clear which is the smallest amount you can buy
20 for catalyst

House of Kolors= does not paint match

Omni
1 quart is the smallest, but only cost like 30
Reducer they only sell by the gallon but I think it is like 30 or 40
clear is I think they sell by the quart
catalyst is by the quart as well.

If you want it done right with good paint I would go with Du Pont they can match match exactly to the color of your car by using the paint code and even you vin# there are more paints you can use but these are ones I am framiliar with shooting, I guess the point is materials will cost around 100-130 and labor is 50 and you get extra materials.

ok for somereason i thought it would be cans but doing it the right way and 50 bucks for time is a hell of a deal shops would rape you up the ass with just a bumper

AZ_CIVIC
08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
ok for somereason i thought it would be cans but doing it the right way and 50 bucks for time is a hell of a deal shops would rape you up the ass with just a bumper

For sure, shops charge alot of money and I guarentee I will do a better job, I can paint match that bumper perfectly. Normally I will use around 3 coats of base to make sure the color is well covered, even more with Omni due to the lack of pigment, I will also do 3 coats of clear, wet sand with 2000 grit and spray 3 more coats of clear and re-wet sand again. Followed by cutting it with a 3M compound using my professional Dewalt buffer, than buffing it with Meguires Swirl remover polish, and than follow that with a hand wax buff. It will look like glass. Good labor for $50 bucks, but I enjoy doing it.

DC2FTW
08-30-2009, 08:53 AM
For sure, shops charge alot of money and I guarentee I will do a better job, I can paint match that bumper perfectly. Normally I will use around 3 coats of base to make sure the color is well covered, even more with Omni due to the lack of pigment, I will also do 3 coats of clear, wet sand with 2000 grit and spray 3 more coats of clear and re-wet sand again. Followed by cutting it with a 3M compound using my professional Dewalt buffer, than buffing it with Meguires Swirl remover polish, and than follow that with a hand wax buff. It will look like glass. Good labor for $50 bucks, but I enjoy doing it.

Well how much would you paint an ef for?! lol

AZBOOST92
11-12-2009, 05:49 PM
how much would u do a 98 lued for?? paints coming off in front and back bumper and i have a crack on my roof. was goign to get it painted but it cost like 1k for a nice descent job