PDA

View Full Version : Third gear problem in 07 Si Sedan

PSFOLIO
09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Hey guys, :wave1: I wanted to see if anyone has had any problems with their third gear in their Si's 6 speed transmission. I have noticed it over a year ago and asked a tech when I brought in my car to get an oil change and they hadn't heard anything. So I ignored it thinking it was a user error. Well a year later I figured I would bring it up again to the tech. Again they hadn't heard anything of it.

Well I did some research on the internet and it seems to be quite a popular subject and issue. Honda even released a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about it. But we are at the mercy of the dealers being able to replicate the problem.

I did a search on this forum and didn't find anyone talking about it. So I figured I would post it and get everyones feedback.

I'm all ears.

Issue: 3rd gear grinding / popping out / not going in (or hitting some type of wall)

Ok, So I looked around here on the forum more and found it has been brought up before... Here is my issue. I went to the dealership on Gilbert and Pecos. They couldn't replicate the issue. They were very eager to help me if they could replicate the issue. Seems like I will either try a new dealership or really try to narrow down the exact moment my car has the issue to reproduce it for them.

Any suggestions?

hockeyrules
09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
get on 8th civic, and what dealership are you going to because there is a tsb out to fix your gear.

ej6pusha1998
09-18-2009, 05:21 PM
X2^

ak94gsr
09-19-2009, 02:21 PM
yep, i have replaced many 3rd gear synchro sets in the Si's models. its actually pretty common. but they will not help you if they suspect abuse to the car.

Matt D
09-19-2009, 07:38 PM
happened to my buddies car...

hectorg4444
09-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I have a 06 Si transmission w/ALL gears and shafts heat treated with Type-R LSD. 30k miles on the tranny and 0 miles since its been heat threated. I would be willing to do a trade. Let me know

CTR-REX
09-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, :wave1: I wanted to see if anyone has had any problems with their third gear in their Si's 6 speed transmission. I have noticed it over a year ago and asked a tech when I brought in my car to get an oil change and they hadn't heard anything. So I ignored it thinking it was a user error. Well a year later I figured I would bring it up again to the tech. Again they hadn't heard anything of it.

Well I did some research on the internet and it seems to be quite a popular subject and issue. Honda even released a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about it. But we are at the mercy of the dealers being able to replicate the problem.

I did a search on this forum and didn't find anyone talking about it. So I figured I would post it and get everyones feedback.

I'm all ears.

Issue: 3rd gear grinding / popping out / not going in (or hitting some type of wall)

Ok, So I looked around here on the forum more and found it has been brought up before... Here is my issue. I went to the dealership on Gilbert and Pecos. They couldn't replicate the issue. They were very eager to help me if they could replicate the issue. Seems like I will either try a new dealership or really try to narrow down the exact moment my car has the issue to reproduce it for them.

Any suggestions?

Bring it to Tempe Honda and have them look at it. I have seen a couple different guys have there syncro replaced at our service center. There is actually a redesigned syncro that they put in the trans that is suppose to fix the problem. I am not sure if you have to have an exhisting honda warranty to get it fixed for free though. Bring to our service center though and they will know what you are talking about.

JDMB16
09-20-2009, 05:50 PM
I was having the exact same problem with mine, I took my car to Tempe Honda and got my 3rd gear synchro replaced with and updated better one. I guess there has been quite a few problems with this, My car was still under the 60k mile warrenty though.

Edit: Ctr-Rex im the guy with the black 07 si coupe, remember me coming in haha

nick_slzr
09-27-2009, 07:17 AM
I have the same problem.

Prototype
10-17-2009, 09:27 PM
i have the extended 120k warranty, would it cover the replacement of the 3rd synchro?

rudsone
10-17-2009, 09:42 PM
i have the extended 120k warranty, would it cover the replacement of the 3rd synchro?

yes, it should

Sherwin
11-25-2009, 08:58 PM
yup honda issued a TSB on the third gear had mine done much better now.

stefenwsel
11-28-2009, 06:07 PM
yea thier was a recall on certain si's for this same problem cuz i have an 08 lx and im haveing tranny issues when i first call about it they asked if i had a si cuz of the recall and i told em no and said i was crazy and thiers nothing wrong

DOHCTORJ
12-12-2009, 07:36 PM
There is a 60k powertrain warranty on all 05+ hondas.
I've done over a dozen Si third gear replacements.
PM me if anyone needs a hookup.

holla@me
01-11-2010, 05:08 PM
There is a 60k powertrain warranty on all 05+ hondas.
I've done over a dozen Si third gear replacements.
PM me if anyone needs a hookup.

bump and WIN for somebody who knows what they're doing/talking about! :partyparty: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

die in a dick fire noob
01-12-2010, 07:05 AM
HOSS will do it, there service dept is good so is there parts.

riceboy88
01-12-2010, 12:21 PM
just got mine done yesterday under powertrain warrenty

GunnRulF
01-12-2010, 04:36 PM
there is a tsb report on the 3rd gear issue on the 07 si's, the dealership should know exactly what the issue is and should be fixed under warrenty

nosecondz
02-28-2010, 08:47 PM
x2 take it to tempe honda

Mister_Panda
03-03-2010, 10:54 AM
So let's just say... My car isn't under warranty. How much am I looking at spending?

justanother
03-03-2010, 01:27 PM
My cousin 07 civic si diud the same thing, we changed out the tran fluid and replaced with the royal purple tran fluid and problem solve..

Finn
04-17-2010, 12:33 PM
YES, my 3rd gear grinds like a mofo and its only that gear so i know its not me

JDMEG2
04-18-2010, 06:33 AM
doesn't matter if there is a tsb for it or not. if they can't replicate it they won't fix it. its not a RECALL its a service bulletin

EFin4Dr
04-27-2010, 06:41 PM
is there a service bulletin out for this? i cant tell

pobudz
05-28-2010, 08:52 PM
I had the 3rd gear problem on 07 civic si until I flushed my tranny and put in Honda's new MTF. Runs like a champ now.

Only thing I'm still having an issue with is redline/2nd gear grind, but its very intermittent.

azskateman
07-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I have 08 si with 3rd gear issues but not very often. Seems to have gone away since tranny flush

Mr.Burner
07-12-2010, 03:36 AM
Flush the trans out and use a qt of gm synchro mesh and the rest honda. Sometimes that cleans it up. But if its going south, the synchro needs to be replaced... done quite a few overhauls on these damn trany's... i to have the 07 trans and its gettin all buggered up as time goes on... GL