PDA

View Full Version : can't get mini me timing right, help

taintschwacker
09-22-2009, 09:11 PM
i have a b7bottomend with z6 head, i just replaced the head had it cleaned and milled put it on. have adjustable cam gear aem. on the crank i set tdc. it matched the white line tdc(the 2 white lines ahead of the three other lines) put the cam gear at 0 and set the cam timing with the cover on head. put on belt and tried to time it. set the cam gear 5 degrees advanced and the distributor is all the way foreward toward the radiator and the timing marks were still about 1 inch away. 5 gassed it and the hc's were sitting around 400 to 600. too high. set the cam 5 degrees retarded and still no timing marks on craink lined up. still high hc's. tried numerous times and still high hc's and cannot get timing on. have a brand new eastern cat, new bosh o2 sensor 4 new plugs. compression is 190 across the board. checked for leaking injectors. no leaks.when the car is around 2500 rpm's the hc's go to around 160-190 ppm.its not pinging. can't figure this out. car runs good but hc's will not come down. plus the distributor will not bring timing in spec with crank. will the timing marks on crank line up with mark on cover or am i trying to make something that will not happen? can some one help? i can't get it for the life of me and i need the car to go through emissions. i can pay. car is at my work but i will drive it home so you can look at it. thanks

jdm kid
09-25-2009, 02:29 AM
have same problem..anyone?

die in a dick fire noob
09-25-2009, 06:35 AM
what kind of cam gear is it?

i have a similar problem with mine but i narrowed it down to the cam gear i have is indexed incorrectly.

also the timing on the z6 head dosn't go with the lateral marks, it times by the 7 0 clock pointer

the head's timing cover looks like this...

- -
/

you need to go by that bottom mark for the head to be timed properly.

you can also get a y7 gear to fix the problem since it's indexed 4.75* different from the z6 cam gears.