PDA

View Full Version : good starting camera

slowsedan
10-09-2009, 02:05 PM
whats a good starting camera? i was thinking a nikon d40

or any other suggestions on digital ones

The President
10-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I personally like my Sony but, it sucks in low light. Look at the Canon T1I. I think you'll like it. Good beginners body, great new features, lots of glass to choose from.

Or if you want a point and shoot, get the Sony with the Carl Zeiss lens. Sharpest point and shoot I've ever seen.

riceboy88
10-09-2009, 04:02 PM
waiting for stakik............

die in a dick fire noob
10-09-2009, 04:14 PM
not the d40...

satisfied rice? lol...

look through this section you will find a number of my posts with a wealth of advice...

bryantiscool
10-09-2009, 04:15 PM
cousin has a t1i
pretty user friendly
d40 is beyond easy

Enjoy_this
10-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey tj its connor kid who was gonna buy ur del sol. I am very experianced in the photographic field if you have any questions just text me.

www.ccsphoto.net

riceboy88
10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
not the d40...

satisfied rice? lol......

hahahahahaha

e2blade
10-10-2009, 08:59 PM
D40.

riceboy88
10-11-2009, 01:17 PM
D40.

x2

ill sell you mine OP

die in a dick fire noob
10-11-2009, 01:44 PM
lol rice... "get the d40... i have one for sale ;)"

sigh...

HondaFreak
10-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Get the Canon.

OrangePassion
10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
I personally like my Sony but, it sucks in low light. Look at the Canon T1I. I think you'll like it. Good beginners body, great new features, lots of glass to choose from.

Or if you want a point and shoot, get the Sony with the Carl Zeiss lens. Sharpest point and shoot I've ever seen.

True that. Sony :thumbup:!

jus-lookn03
10-13-2009, 09:22 PM
hey i just got a canon eos 30d w/ a efs18-55mm camera for dirt cheap . are they any good

supermang
10-14-2009, 09:08 AM
My sony a100 i picked up cheap and is stupid awsome

Pendulum
10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
D40 far and away. I have used both Canons and Nikons, of various models, and Nikons are dumb easy to learn... Menus, etc.
Also, Nikons, including the D40 do much better in low light.

Anyone who wants to complain about autofocus needs to go out and use their camera. So fucking what if you lose AF on CERTAIN LENSES. There's still a HUGE number of lenses that autofocus on the AF-S bodies. Not only does Nikon make a bunch, but so does Sigma. And if you do happen to use a lens that doesn't auto-fopcus, who cares? I manual focus very often, even with AF-S Lenses. I'm almost as fast in most situations, and sometimes faster than the cameras autofocus.

Being able to up the ISO and not get a ton of noise (Good luck doing that with a Canon) will allow you to use a faster shutter without opening the aperture a bunch. Most cheaper lenses don't go that "wide."

So, if you go Nikon your kit lens will be able to shoot in low light better than a similar Canon setup.

Give me any reason NOT to go with a Nikon body and I can retort with a logical answer.

In the end, it's preference.

die in a dick fire noob
10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
it's true that it's preference in the end, my preference is to not have my camera manufacture dumb a camera down to appeal to the masses... canon hasn't changed hardly anything since it began.

as for the ISO did you see what chris posted in the other thread? nuff said.

as for "wide" that's not the correct word at all. If you're going to quote photo jargon you were probably looking for "fast."
wide refers to the degree of angle the lens is able to take... as in "wide angle."

my reasons against the nikon are as follows:

lack of AF in the body
ccd
color rendition
auto sharpening and effects in camera distort the image
NEF files are retarded
lens cost ++++++++

so lets here some logical retorts on this debate.

like you said though, it does come down to preference... but i'd like to see what you think.

Pendulum
10-15-2009, 01:22 PM
As far as me using "wide", the reason I used quotes was because I know it's not really the correct term. Then again, using "fast" to describe what I was saying would have only added confusion. I'm sure the OP hasn't had much photography education.

I've already covered the AF issue.

What exactly is the problem with the Nikon CCD? If you're concerned about crop factor then that can easily be adjusted based on lens. Perhaps I'm ignorant on this one. This is very possible.

Color rendition- Ok, I'll agree here. Unedited images, straight from camera, seem to have better better color rendition from Canons bodies. However, most beginners and even many pros aren't going to be concerned with this. Look at how many award-winning professionals use Nikon and tell them that their cameras are no good.

You can turn off all the auto-sharpening and effects. I have them turned off on my D40.

What's your vendetta against NEF files? This is perhaps another issue that I ignorant on, however, I do know that a fresh install of Adobe CS3 WILL read .NEF's from the D40, however won't read .CR2's from the 20D. I am interested to hear about this NEF issue, since I shoot exclusivley RAW. NEF on my D40 and CR2 on the 20D.

Lens cost, I can't really speak on. However, looking through Adorama, Canon seems to have more high-priced lenses than Nikon. I included Sigma and Tamron in my searches for specific-mount lenses.

die in a dick fire noob
10-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Starting from back to forward... Canon's higher quality glass isn't more expensive than nikons highest end.

the copy of cs3 i have reads my cr2's straight from my 20d. I just hate the way NEF Files are written, it's not really like they're any worse i've just had bad luck with certain programs i use not opening them. there are always work arounds but cr2's read fine.

color rendition, i'm glad we agree.

ccd's are one reason that the color rendition is bad, ccd's aren't as accurate as a cmos and they take more energy to power. crop factor has nothing to do with it as my cmos is a crop factored sensor too.

af still bad.

fast is the proper term used by photo pro's, and yes it would have added confusion i'm sure.

braddd
10-17-2009, 12:22 PM
the d40 is a pretty good start...or a d60 / d80...those are good cameras to start with ...learn and get use to shooting on manual for optimal shots!!

ALLBLVCK
10-17-2009, 02:08 PM
I have a Nikon D80 and it i love it,
so i would go with thats:thumbup:

e2blade
10-17-2009, 06:29 PM
im loling

die in a dick fire noob
10-17-2009, 09:15 PM
^ why?

Pendulum
10-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Because he has a D700.

die in a dick fire noob
10-19-2009, 06:29 PM
it's his choice to spend that kind of money :-\... i almost did that with my student loans back in 04... glad i didn't i'd be stuck with a d2 lol...

Enjoy_this
10-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Just cause you have the best gear on the market doesnt make u a good photographer. Same goes for having a fast car.

HondaFreak
10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I agree. Mr. TYC uses, I believe, a Canon Rebel XTi... Correct me if I'm wrong but I know for a fact it's a Rebel model and he has shot for a few magazines. If you check out his thread he mentions what camera he uses.

HondaFreak
10-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks bro. So no one is going to label me a "wannabe photographer just because I have an XTi", right? :thumbup:

Found it.

die in a dick fire noob
10-21-2009, 08:40 AM
right, with the xt, xti, xsi, and so on they typically use the same sensor as a 20d 30d 40d 50d and so on... just less functions on the camera, however, they still have AF in the body and use a CMOS sensor which i appreciate more than a ccd. There's also really no limiation with anything on the rebel series, only less frames per second and a smaller lighter body.

i recommend the rebel all the time for canon, just never recommend the lower series camera's from nikon since the d40/d40x premiered. i used to sell the shit out of some d50's back in the day.

Pendulum
10-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Well, I'm starting to get the hang of this Eos 20D I've been using lately. I'm still partial to my D40 because it's smaller, lighter, and I haven't had any issues with focusing. Manual focus isn't that bad. I prefer it at times.

I still haven't figured out how to adjust EV on the 20D. The Nikons are just so much easier to use.

die in a dick fire noob
10-21-2009, 12:39 PM
they are at first, but i've got used to my 20d... are you trying to adjust the Exposure compensation or what? like the ev +- 1/2 type thing? when i get home i can look at it and help you out with any othe questions you have just pm me or something.

e2blade
10-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Just cause you have the best gear on the market doesnt make u a good photographer. Same goes for having a fast car.

lol where did i say i was good. i was just saying im loling cause no matter what, if the d40 could produce perfect molecular stem cells that could heal dystonia, he would still hate it.

The President
10-21-2009, 03:44 PM
lol where did i say i was good. i was just saying im loling cause no matter what, if the d40 could produce perfect molecular stem cells that could heal dystonia, he would still hate it.

:this-guy_2:
YES!
:lmao:

die in a dick fire noob
10-21-2009, 03:58 PM
funny cus it's soooooo true.

slowsedan
11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
thanks for all your input, good or bad. i forgot i hade this thread. hahah. I saw a Sony a230l or a330l. dont remember which one it was but i was feeling it and it was a nice camera.

e2blade
11-05-2009, 08:48 PM
buy justins shit

slowsedan
11-06-2009, 12:13 AM
What does he have? Where can i contact justin?

theAngryMarmot
11-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I love my A330

e2blade
11-08-2009, 01:09 PM
What does he have? Where can i contact justin?

pure street photo dude, PM him, his stuff is for sale i think