PDA

View Full Version : whats the best v-tec head for a stock ls block?

1fastdc
10-13-2009, 08:40 PM
saving up for my v-tec head and jus wondering your thoughts on the best head application for my ls block...thx

FranktheTank
10-13-2009, 08:48 PM
B16 period.
their the most similar to the b18c5 head and the intake mani bolt pattern is the same as a a type r sense its the same cast

Dead Bird
10-13-2009, 08:53 PM
i don't feel like arguing or further informing.

but just make sure when you get one that the cam journals aren't fucked, the head isn't warped or cracked and isn't missing hard as fuck to find shit

-EJ1 Freak-
10-13-2009, 09:09 PM
dont forget to resurface the head and get a new gasket.

xracerx
10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
dont forget to resurface the head and get a new gasket.
Might wanna check prices for valvetrain as well. Save the headache of doing it later.

usdm420
10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Might wanna check prices for valvetrain as well. Save the headache of doing it later.

Meh, not necessary IMO unless you're going in-depth with the build. If you're going to run OEM cams (ITR/CTR), your stock valvetrain will be fine. I'd be more concerned with making sure to use ARP rod bolts, and maybe shotpeening the LS rods.

king06
10-14-2009, 01:22 PM

but just make sure when you get one that the cam journals aren't fucked, the head isn't warped or cracked and isn't missing hard as fuck to find shit

I have a Gsr, but it's a lot easier to find intake manifold's for the B16.

1fastdc
10-14-2009, 08:58 PM

i was jus wondering if anyone knew like performance specs on the ls/v-tec wether what B series it is...not how to look for a good head .no offence tho man i can see you no your shit.

king06
10-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Unless your going to do extensive R&D, performance wise they're the same. The gsr has smaller chambers and i believe the ports have a different angle.

I would stick with the B16

usdm420
10-15-2009, 02:49 PM
IIRC a GSR head will yield a higher compression ratio right off the bat. So if you don't plan on changing out the pistons, a GSR head would probably be your better bet. Low compression on a N/A VTEC motor = shitty performance.

ewok
10-15-2009, 02:59 PM
all motor i would say gsr head cause of higher compression and boost b16 its one of the best flowing heads other than the c5. the c5 is ported stock but its hard to find them

ICD
10-15-2009, 03:08 PM
all motor i would say gsr head cause of higher compression and boost b16 its one of the best flowing heads other than the c5. the c5 is ported stock but its hard to find them

Not hard to find people are to cheap to buy

1fastdc
10-15-2009, 03:33 PM
alright im wanting to go all motor too so ill just stick with the gsr
thx fellas

Dead Bird
10-16-2009, 04:19 PM
lol NO other questions?!?

MUG
10-17-2009, 07:39 PM
I got one,I have a Ls around what dollar figure would all the parts run me to make a LS/Vtec with me building it?

bash_ceballos
10-18-2009, 09:18 PM
do a b16 head

Boo$tedTeggy
10-19-2009, 09:14 PM
bump

Ryan
10-19-2009, 09:23 PM
B16 is the best as far as I know, but what do I know on AZHT lol. Make sure you get the most aggresive P&P you can do, or have a shop do it and flow test it. Get the best shit you can, do it right the first time. Just my $0.02

lowNslow
10-19-2009, 10:04 PM
bump

y the fuck did u bump a thread that had a post 2 hrs ago??

Anyway do a good p&p, not some guestimate diy dremel b.s. I know a guy that made em' WAY too big.

Dead Bird
10-19-2009, 10:10 PM
money can be spent better, smarter than porting and polishing.

Ryan
10-19-2009, 10:16 PM
money can be spent better, smarter than porting and polishing.

^WORD^
but its a start for a Honda noob, or a first build :drunk:

Dead Bird
10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
truf

that one eg
10-19-2009, 10:44 PM
99 b16 head best flow

MUG
10-20-2009, 01:56 AM
So what's the average price range for a B16 that's for obd1?

Mr.Burner
10-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Im gonna say 300 bucks anything cheaper is prolly fucked up some how.

And i wouldnt waste the money on pnp if your leaving the stock piston, you wont notice a power change without 11:5 compression. And i would recomend cams going that route..

If you use the stock piston i would also recomend you cut the valve relief on the stock piston so you dont hit the valves! And yes it does hit, seen multipul times.

Also if your using the stock rod, up grade the rod bolts to ARP ones, better for reving. Headstuds also.

Its been known that the obd0 first gen b16 heads HAVE the best casting and flow numbers then the new 99-00 si head.

All the vtec heads will work...
Your best options would be the poor man type R, type R pistons on stock rods, gsr head or b16, ctr cams, tune, that shit will smash out!

Dead Bird
10-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Im gonna say 300 bucks anything cheaper is prolly fucked up some how.

And i wouldnt waste the money on pnp if your leaving the stock piston, you wont notice a power change without 11:5 compression. And i would recomend cams going that route..

If you use the stock piston i would also recomend you cut the valve relief on the stock piston so you dont hit the valves! And yes it does hit, seen multipul times.

Also if your using the stock rod, up grade the rod bolts to ARP ones, better for reving. Headstuds also.

Its been known that the obd0 first gen b16 heads HAVE the best casting and flow numbers then the new 99-00 si head.

All the vtec heads will work...
Your best options would be the poor man type R, type R pistons on stock rods, gsr head or b16, ctr cams, tune, that shit will smash out!

RED: Been in a car where it happened. Left the head and a piston unsalvageable. :(

ek coupe
10-21-2009, 01:37 AM
honestly i like the b16 head imo it flows better and is very similiar to the type r head

1fastdc
10-22-2009, 01:15 PM
^^^^
did homie actually put his true address in the AZHT Location spot LMFAO i wish i could quote that shit it be my sig.

:whore:

MUG
10-22-2009, 01:25 PM
:this-guy_2:

lowNslow
10-22-2009, 07:28 PM
^^^^
did homie actually put his true address in the AZHT Location spot LMFAO i wish i could quote that shit it be my sig.

:whore:

BWAHAHAHAHA, man. Either its his crib or he's fuckin' wit someone.

BDD
10-22-2009, 08:03 PM
b16 point blank better flow

holy miss information batmann

Dead Bird
10-22-2009, 08:14 PM
holy miss information batmann

lol i know.

i was waiting for my cursor to act as if that phrase was a link and i was gonna get rick rolled

EgDuStIn1011
10-26-2009, 08:24 AM
gsr... type r or a b16 casting with type r cams

DarkAngel
10-26-2009, 11:18 AM
:beatdeadhorse2: Watching for noobs to hit 50 and start selling..........

I am with Dead Bird Teggy here, not gonna bash either. One thread is cool for all the questions. Just curious as to why you are asking this and you posted this in another thread?

b20 v-tec!!they have the same stroke as the ls with a bigger bore!an with a build and a good amount of boost your smashin on alomst anything wooohoohahaha

And as for all the answers given, informative. But the obvious question is , "It always depends what your intension's for your build is going to be." PERIOD!

Also, I wouldn't put my address in my User CP if I was you. Location maybe but not address.

1fastdc
10-26-2009, 12:11 PM
:beatdeadhorse2: Watching for noobs to hit 50 and start selling..........

I am with Dead Bird Teggy here, not gonna bash either. One thread is cool for all the questions. Just curious as to why you are asking this and you posted this in another thread?

And as for all the answers given, informative. But the obvious question is , "It always depends what your intension's for your build is going to be." PERIOD!

Also, I wouldn't put my address in my User CP if I was you. Location maybe but not address.

who the fuck is this guy^^^^^

what you so curious about that was my persional opinion in the other thred ive built a fully built b20 v-tec in a previous teg i had that smashed on dam near everythin i raced what i never had was a lsv so that was my question

ohh an ps i wasnt the guy that put my adress on my "User CP" so learn how to multiquote you fucking fagget!!!

honduh_head
10-26-2009, 12:45 PM
plenty of ls/vtec info in the allmotor section on here. go read up.

ps. the flow characteristics between a gsr head and b16 head are damn near identical. if you are going to leave the bottom end stock, i would go with the gsr head for the higher compression.

Dead Bird
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
still pooping

DarkAngel
10-26-2009, 01:50 PM
who the fuck is this guy^^^^^

what you so curious about that was my persional opinion in the other thred ive built a fully built b20 v-tec in a previous teg i had that smashed on dam near everythin i raced what i never had was a lsv so that was my question

ohh an ps i wasnt the guy that put my adress on my "User CP" so learn how to multiquote you fucking fagget!!!

LOL, You are totally funny and really misunderstand questions dont you. Before you start insulting people here and making a name for yourself( too late ), read my question carefully. I was curious as to why you are asking which head is better because as you now stated above you did a fully build B20V and you are asking these questions. Anyways GL with your endeavors. Dont get mad at me for pointing things out, you wrote them. Unlike many, I dont stay quiet.

Oh and PS, I forgot to multi-quote. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

:this-guy:

1fastdc
10-26-2009, 02:22 PM

ps. the flow characteristics between a gsr head and b16 head are damn near identical. if you are going to leave the bottom end stock, i would go with the gsr head for the higher compression.

thank you sir.

LOL, You are totally funny and really misunderstand questions dont you. Before you start insulting people here and making a name for yourself( too late ), read my question carefully. I was curious as to why you are asking which head is better because as you now stated above you did a fully build B20V and you are asking these questions. Anyways GL with your endeavors. Dont get mad at me for pointing things out, you wrote them. Unlike many, I dont stay quiet.

Oh and PS, I forgot to multi-quote. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

Opinions was all i was looking for. I should have stated if i was going all motor or not, I didnt.I dont plan on just going all motor,But that is what im familiar with.Eventually i wanna do a high compression lsv turbo build with low boost.Thats my goal with this project i have now.So that was a misunderstanding on my part.

:eek:

fRoSt
10-26-2009, 03:49 PM

^^^ yup no need for another thread of argument. plenty of other threads out there in the all motor section to read up. my old thread was helpful to other ppls too, so maybe whoever that needs the info should just go look at it.

heres my old thread. hope its helpful http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=90672

needless to say but i see everyone is just voting on which head u should go with on here. not much helpful info to help u with ur build in here at all