PDA

View Full Version : Tiffen UV-1: Anybody used it?

Pendulum
10-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Just had my gf stop into Tempe Camera and pick this up since I don't get off 'til 5 (when they close)

I'm excited to play with it. Anyone used this thing? I only wanna hear from people who've used this exact filter as I'm concerned with flaring etc.

e2blade
10-22-2009, 07:25 PM
holy cheap filter. hope it doesnt affect your pictures too much

The President
10-22-2009, 10:22 PM
wait, is this different than an ordinary UV Filter?

taggart_lumpy
10-22-2009, 10:58 PM
had it on my kit lens

as far as im concerned it was there to protect the glass

now i ask myself why i have a $210 filter... between camera shit and tools its like a never ending buying process

die in a dick fire noob
10-23-2009, 07:32 AM
^ x2...

uv's really are only designed to protect your lens, i've never seen a noticable amount with any of tiffen's uv filters.

i had a uv-1 on my 35-70 2.8 never affected my quality of the shots but it didn't do anything else either.

Pendulum
10-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Holy Elitist. Hope it doesn't affect your pictures too much.

Thanks guys, and in case nobody noticed, I was standing up in the backseat of the Altima, hanging out the windows/sunroof, with my camera in the wind @50-110 mph.

Obviously I bought it to protect the lens.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm about to go through my shots now. I did get some WEIRD lens flare that made it look like Ramins EG had a green underglow kit ( :

die in a dick fire noob
10-25-2009, 08:54 PM
what kind of lens?

and yeah, he is def an elitist for no reason.

Pendulum
10-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I didn't think to buy two filters, so I was swapping the filter between my 55-200 Nikon 4-5.6 and my 18-55 3.5-5.6...

I did get some lens flare on a few shots, but it's hard to say whether it would have been there without the filter. Although I had a few shots that DEFINITELY would have been flare-free without the UV Filter. All in all, for $12 I'd sau it served it's purpose. I'll definitely be upgrading to a better filter this week, but it kept the debris off my lens which is what I bought it for.

e2blade
10-27-2009, 10:36 AM
what i dont understand why your asking this question when the google tool bar is about 5 inches away from this box.

and this quote"Thanks guys, and in case nobody noticed, I was standing up in the backseat of the Altima, hanging out the windows/sunroof, with my camera in the wind @50-110 mph."

are you bragging? ive sat in a trunk of a protege to take pictures. try again.

elistist? i dont play halo nor am i near anyway to pro. noob :D

Pendulum
10-28-2009, 03:12 PM
fyi: I googled it and got mixed results, which is why I wanted opinions from people on here.

Also, I don't believe you understand what I mean by "elitist" but let's keep this on topic.

Check the post count beezy. I've been here since 06, signed up 07, and known some of the members since mo' fucking grade school. n00b, i are not.

die in a dick fire noob
10-28-2009, 04:17 PM
yeah no one said he was 1337 :)

also i wouldn't really question the quality of the filter affecting your overall shot because you're using essentially stock glass... the front element is really not a point of quality issue anyway :-\