PDA

View Full Version : Ksport NASA test and tune results in SOCAL

Ksport
10-23-2009, 01:06 PM
On Oct 10th & 11th, team KSport headed out for a low key "test & tune" event with the National Auto Sport Association (NASA) So Cal region this past weekend and they definitely got the job done. It just so happened that the NASA So Cal event was running the same configuration that is used for the Super Lap Battle (SLB) Finals. The goal of the event was simply to shake down the car after some minor changes in preparation of the big event but the team ended up with much more success than initially planned.

KSport's weapon of choice for the SLB this year will be a 95 Honda Civic piloted by the up and coming and very capable Time Attack driver Tage Evanson. Three out of the four sessions on Saturday were filled with car issues, but once resolved, the Civic managed a 1:56.4 on the low boost tune which actually ended up beating the previous NASA So Cal track record! This caused quite a stir in the paddock as the class (TTS) had well over half a dozen drivers in the class and they were all amazed and in disbelief at what the car was capable of. Come to find out the car was down on power and had corded front tires when that lap was set!

The next day, the Civic had a different set of used tires mounted up and the ECU was programmed with the higher power tune which is good for approximately 300WHP. The KSport Civic ripped off a 1:53.2 second time on the first lap and in traffic! Satisfied with the setup of the car, KSport was ready to head back home to Phoenix. However, they quickly learned that the NASA track record for the class (TTU) was good enough for that track record as well. The team decided to stay for the second session and see if they could muster a faster time yet. Track conditions were not as optimal (dusty, air temp too hot, etc.) as the morning session, but the Civic still managed a 1:52.8 on it's 2nd lap. This beat the previous track record by nearly 2.5 seconds!!!

NOTE: The car is still legal for TTU @ 460WHP. Imagine what kind of times the KSport Civic could have done with an additional 160 WHP???

In 2006 and with an unlimited budget, the GM Performance Division set the fastest FF time ever recorded with their 1,300 lbs all carbon fiber 400+WHP Chevy Cobalt. It is believed to be the fastest FF car on the planet with a time of 1:51.3 at Buttonwillow's CW #13 configuration. When the KSport Civic returns to Buttonwillow next month, it will have fresh tires, cooler weather and even more power. Will it be enough to make up an additional 1.5 seconds? Could the KSport Civic end up becoming the fastest FF car on the planet? Stay tuned to find out!

Most importantly, let's not forget that this little Honda Civic is currently using an off the shelf KSport Kontrol Pro damper kit! Many companies will "claim" in their advertisements about how their coilover kits are the best. Apparently, KSport doesn't need to...

:autored:

http://www.ksportusa.com/images/tage/DSC_6603.jpg

http://www.ksportusa.com/images/tage/KG4R1007.jpghttp://www.ksportusa.com/images/tage/kg4r1112.jpghttp://www.ksportusa.com/images/tage/kg4r8254.jpghttp://www.ksportusa.com/images/tage/kg4r8323.jpghttp://www.ksportusa.com/images/tage/kg4r8352.jpg

ewok
10-23-2009, 01:12 PM
any pics of the car in action by chance

k20z3coupe
10-23-2009, 02:06 PM
super sick but its weird to call it ksports car considering he did a ton on his own and you guys just gave him some coilovers(that i know of), dont hate me for this comment i just think he should of gotten more credit, good job anyhow

ewok
10-23-2009, 02:25 PM
thats sick!!!

Ksport
10-23-2009, 02:35 PM
super sick but its weird to call it ksports car considering he did a ton on his own and you guys just gave him some coilovers(that i know of), dont hate me for this comment i just think he should of gotten more credit, good job anyhow

Lol, of cource its not our car, its tages car, and the article was cut and pasted from a press release for a magazine. Tage is happy with the support we provide beyond the coilovers and the credit we give.

fmx_dbc
10-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Off the shelf huh?

91DA9
10-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Weirds me out everytime I see pictures of that car. I remember sitting on the hatch when it still had an interior lol. Tage deserves every bit of credit and respect for his driving career, hope to see him go very far with it.

skar1
10-23-2009, 03:47 PM
That's fuckin crazy, wish u guys luck next event

GunnRulF
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Congrats! Very Impressive :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Acurazor
10-23-2009, 04:12 PM
LOL I remember seeing this car in Tage's driveway and asking him what his plans with it were. He said, probly just leave it how it is, I love how comfortable it is, it's just my daily. Now it looks like this haha. Good jod Tage.

Ksport
10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Off the shelf huh?

Yes sir, no special valving, no race top hats, only stiffer springs.

:samuri:

Dead Bird
10-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Can i ask what the spring rates are?
Or ancient chinese secret?

topramn
10-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Off the shelf huh?

Yes sir, no special valving, no race top hats, only stiffer springs.

:samuri:

Craig, I can confirm that this kit is an off the shelf kit. I was one of the first to notice it on the car in a visit to Tage's house and since the installation, the car has proven better times all over the place. Even better than the previous GC/Koni setup that was on the car. Props to my former employer, KSport, and one of my current employers, Tage, for putting together an awesome partnership.

fmx_dbc
10-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Thats cool. I hope he continues to smash those lap records

rudsone
10-23-2009, 04:42 PM
woah wtf happen to the stock looking exterior lol.

looks a lot more aggressive though!

UMS Tuning Sales
10-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Congrats to Tage on getting a suspension sponsorship! With 2 of the best local drivers in their stable, I think Ksport is going to have an awesome year!

emgee420
10-23-2009, 05:39 PM
saw this car at the tritech yard sale...nice to see some action shots

BlueTeg
10-23-2009, 05:49 PM
With 2 of the best local drivers in their stable, I think Ksport is going to have an awesome year!

:thumbsup:

Hopefully they bring their RSX out too for Super Lap Battle next month. K-sport domination. :sm:

k20z3coupe
10-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Lol, of cource its not our car, its tages car, and the article was cut and pasted from a press release for a magazine. Tage is happy with the support we provide beyond the coilovers and the credit we give.
yeah thanks for not taking it as me being a dick, congrats tage and ksport

Tage
10-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey guys, yes I can vouch for everything being 100% true to the best of my knowledge here.

#1 - The guys at KSport have been amazing and we have an excellent partnership going on here. I don't mind calling my car "the KSport" car or the "HASport car" or even the "Tri-Tech car", etc. It's all about giving a little credit to the folks that make these events possible. Without KSport, HASport and especially TTM for this event with a last minute motor swap this event and the SLB would not be possible to do by myself.

#2 - Yes this is the most basic kit that KSport sells for the Civic (Kontrol Pro) and so far it has exceeded every expectation. Even Jeremy from UMS told me something along the lines of, "Dude, that kit is NOT going to work on your car". So in your face Jeremy! LOL j/k

#3 - The rates are simply KSport 14K (front) and 12K (rear) and they don't overpower the dampeners at all. In fact I don't even run them full stiff all the time to make up for the extra spring.

I want to see if I can win SLB with a *stock* kit. After that I'll revalve and see if there's more performance to eek out of KSports, but so far they have been truely amazing, especially considering that they are one of the least expensive kits out there and definitely the best bang for the buck! Even if I wasn't sponsored by KSport, this is the kit I would buy with my own money.

riceboy88
10-23-2009, 07:47 PM
never seen tage's car without the wing and that is badass tage :you rock:

Vtecracer
10-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Here are some more photos to the weekend test and tune that happened in Buttonwillow

CLICK me to SEE some more pictures....SOME GOOD , mostly BAD (http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/slideshow/22647623)

berny2435
10-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Good stuff and congrads Tage.

I've been allways wondered how those Kontrol Pro dampers have made out in the racing crowd. This is the best news I've heard on them yet. crazy how high you guys were able to go on the OTS valving. I'm even more so wondering about the GT pro coilovers though.

The inverted GT pro dampers with top hats are priced at a remarkable value for my car compared to other brands. $1,300 vs $2200+(tein monoflex). Same warranty but with local service is starting to sound like a winner.

Vtecracer
10-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Berny i have had the same off the shelf ksports with modified spring rates on my car since october last year. (its a coincidence that Tage has the same rates). They rock on the road coarse and I was able to dial them back in to help in my Auto X experiences when i went back to Oregon ( hell i even posted the fastest time of the day amongst all groups back there after finally getting them dialed in). And i can tell you i love them to death. Some people don't believe me when i rave about the ksports so they are kind of my own little secret weapon. Love em , love em, love em

berny2435
10-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Berny i have had the same off the shelf ksports with modified spring rates on my car since october last year. (its a coincidence that Tage has the same rates). They rock on the road coarse and I was able to dial them back in to help in my Auto X experiences when i went back to Oregon ( hell i even posted the fastest time of the day amongst all groups back there after finally getting them dialed in). And i can tell you i love them to death. Some people don't believe me when i rave about the ksports so they are kind of my own little secret weapon. Love em , love em, love em

good to hear. Ksport is a black sheep out there. Probably more so than Megan Racing or Skunk2 pro Cs. Ksport GT-pro's are offically back on my list of coilovers to consider purchasing for next year.

Tage
11-13-2009, 09:12 PM
The inverted GT pro dampers with top hats are priced at a remarkable value for my car compared to other brands. $1,300 vs $2200+(tein monoflex). Same warranty but with local service is starting to sound like a winner.

A couple points to consider...

#1 - Hardly any of the local retailers sell at MSRP so expect to pay even less

#2 - UMS Tuning will be offering all KSport products at substantial discounts to NASA members. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-35% off or so.

You hit the nail on the head about the fact that they're local too. In the event they do need a rebuild, they can usually turn around most stuff in 24 hours and no shipping costs!

berny2435
11-15-2009, 06:48 PM
woot! NASA membership comes in handy in more ways that one! Thinking hardcore about going to SD National Tour for AutoX. Some Ksport coilovers will come in handy for that event ;-)

UMS Tuning Sales
11-16-2009, 03:35 PM
A couple points to consider...

#1 - Hardly any of the local retailers sell at MSRP so expect to pay even less

#2 - UMS Tuning will be offering all KSport products at substantial discounts to NASA members. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-35% off or so.

You hit the nail on the head about the fact that they're local too. In the event they do need a rebuild, they can usually turn around most stuff in 24 hours and no shipping costs!

woot! NASA membership comes in handy in more ways that one! Thinking hardcore about going to SD National Tour for AutoX. Some Ksport coilovers will come in handy for that event ;-)

Thanks Tage...

Berny- PM us for our current sale price

Tage-

car looked good @ SuperLap

BTW... I saw Ksports Shock Dyno today when I was picking up a few kits...can't wait till its all set up and ready to go! Race set ups FTW!