PDA

View Full Version : Amp is melting fuses???

SoB NiG
11-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah soooo i turned the bass up a liiil and than it cut out... Normal after awhile of bein on... So i went back there to look at somethin n noticed that it wasnt popped it was melted... Not all haggard but a lil... Than popped another 30 in and headed out... Cut out again shit was dripping ewww.! Any ideas or sugestions?

bumpstick
11-07-2009, 02:16 AM
And you are sure everything is wired correctly? $10 says that amp is toasted.

BigCountry
11-07-2009, 02:50 AM
Yeah soooo i turned the bass up a liiil and than it cut out... Normal after awhile of bein on... So i went back there to look at somethin n noticed that it wasnt popped it was melted... Not all haggard but a lil... Than popped another 30 in and headed out... Cut out again shit was dripping ewww.! Any ideas or sugestions?

Ok lets start

1. What brand and wattage is the amp?
2. How is an amp "shutting off" normal?
3. What size wiring kit do you have for said system?

SoB NiG
11-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Yeah ive had this set up for a min its all wired right... Ive been in that system game for a second but this is the first for this kinda thing...

It an alpine and it desnt say the watts word on the block is is around 800
4 gauge
protect mode to cool down

BigCountry
11-07-2009, 02:55 AM
hmmmm... What size fuse is it frying in the amp?

SoB NiG
11-07-2009, 02:59 AM
30a cause thats what it says right next to the terminal...

bumpstick
11-07-2009, 03:06 AM
then it's not an 800 watt amp.
(voltage x current = power, 14.4 volts x 30 amps = 432 watts, assuming 100% efficiency)

BigCountry
11-07-2009, 03:55 AM
I'm thinking that there's something internally wrong with that amp....

SoB NiG
11-07-2009, 12:22 PM
^^ could bee,,,
and idk ive never had this problem bfor soooo its new to me ya kno ive had every thing on max bfor and it worked fine than i turned it down to a comfertable setting.

Pendulum
11-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Are you talking about the fuse on your power wire, or the fuse on the amp? Seems like you're describing the fuse on the amp. Check your wiring from amp to sub. Check your ground. It should be bolted to BARE METAL with NO PAINT, with those star-looking lock washers. The type the bite into the surface. You should have very little resistance at all connections, especially the ground.

An amp shutting off is NOT normal. Something's wrong somewhere, and I'd bet wiring.

S!K TEG
11-08-2009, 04:56 PM
i the amp is shutting off then either to much watt being drawn so melting your fuse or your amp is f'd up. had the same problem, turned out the amp had a busted resistor and was shorting out other parts.

SoB NiG
11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
i the amp is shutting off then either to much watt being drawn so melting your fuse or your amp is f'd up. Had the same problem, turned out the amp had a busted resistor and was shorting out other parts.

ouch! Hope i can just make a better groun n it fixs it..

KeRmEt
11-11-2009, 10:07 AM
make sure you have a good ground cause that will do it to and is your amp hidden at all or is it some where where air can get to it to keep it cool.