PDA

View Full Version : turbo noob Q's???

REDREX
11-22-2009, 09:38 PM
i just got a turbo kit and has , a/r 60 trim garret turbo/ full race ram manifold/ tial wastegate/
apexi BOV/ XES intercooler, well this is my question i opened up the wastegate and found a large green spring whitch i found out was 11.8-13psi. i wanna run safley 5-6 pounds on my gsr is it possible to cut my spring to lower the boost? And what are the 2 nipples on the wastegate used for. any help? any advice? thanx in advance

jordanherrera07
11-22-2009, 09:55 PM
if u cut the spring ur wategate will open easier therefore u will boost less , i dont know how acurate or safe it is though.one of the nipples is for the boost controller the other on is for the vaccum line( the bottom one)

lowNslow
11-22-2009, 09:57 PM
A boost controller does wonders my friend. It sounds like u have a nice setup. The best thing you could do for a boosted motor is a GOOD tune. I personally wouldn't cut a wastegate spring man.

REDREX
11-22-2009, 10:05 PM
if u cut the spring ur wategate will open easier therefore u will boost less , i dont know how acurate or safe it is though.one of the nipples is for the boost controller the other on is for the vaccum line( the bottom one)
when u connect the boost controller to the top nipple does it go directly to the boost controller and then to a vaccum?

REDREX
11-22-2009, 10:09 PM
A boost controller does wonders my friend. It sounds like u have a nice setup. The best thing you could do for a boosted motor is a GOOD tune. I personally wouldn't cut a wastegate spring man.
i think i wasted to much cash though, lol especially cause its my first turbo set up im really scared of blowing up my gsr so hopefully tuned with low boost will be fine.. but i really dont get the whole vaccum and boost controller thing? cause if the spring is controlling ur boost how is the boost controller controlling it as well?

jordanherrera07
11-22-2009, 10:13 PM
if u wanna boos 7 psi cut ur spring lil by lil or better yet buy a 7 pound spring u dnt need a boost controller conected at all unless u want to go up on boost

Dead Bird
11-22-2009, 10:34 PM
my nigga.
click my link

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=160_688

lowNslow
11-23-2009, 08:14 AM
my nigga.
click my link

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=160_688

:clapper: He wins lol. I wouldn't feel safe cutting a spring that could potentially save your motor...but thats just me

jspecs
12-09-2009, 08:12 PM
i just got a turbo kit and has , a/r 60 trim garret turbo/ full race ram manifold/ tial wastegate/
apexi BOV/ XES intercooler, well this is my question i opened up the wastegate and found a large green spring whitch i found out was 11.8-13psi. i wanna run safley 5-6 pounds on my gsr is it possible to cut my spring to lower the boost? And what are the 2 nipples on the wastegate used for. any help? any advice? thanx in advance
where did yu pick up yur set up?? Sounds nice? price?

*inFamous*
12-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Not to mention, hooking up a boost controller to a wastegate with a 11psi spring will NOT allow u to run any LESS boost, only MORE.

Get the proper spring, they are like 14 bucks.

Get the lightest spring say 7psi. You can use a boost controller to increase boost from there, typically to double the spring value.