PDA

View Full Version : D16z6 swap not starting. . .

iride_723
11-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I have a 94 DX. It had a head blown gasket. I replaced the original D15b7 with a D16z6. It would only start if I advanced the cam gear 4 teeth and even then it would just idle when I held throttle half open. More or less gas would kill it. That was with the original dizzy so I got the dizzy for the head thinking that was the problem. Now it won't start at all. Why wont it start?????????????

P.S. timing is on. I have taken the crank pulley off 2 times to make sure. And I have the EX belt on it.

I am out of ideas!!!!?!?!?!

Dead Bird
11-25-2009, 12:25 AM
i dont know where to start

lol

bumpstick
11-25-2009, 01:34 AM
When you use a Z6 head on a D15 block, the Z6 cam gear will be off (D15 has a lower deck height). You'll need a Y7/Y8 or aftermarket cam gear to get it timed right.

BigCountry
11-25-2009, 05:03 AM
I think he's saying he did a complete swap not just the head so that wouldn't matter....

lowNslow
11-25-2009, 08:05 AM
When you use a Z6 head on a D15 block, the Z6 cam gear will be off (D15 has a lower deck height). You'll need a Y7/Y8 or aftermarket cam gear to get it timed right.

His other thread said "head swap" so if you did a head swap, here's your answer.

If you swapped complete motors use all z6 parts.
Z6 dizzy
Z6 Harness
Z6 ECU
Etc.

To me it sounds like you timing is off but u said its good so idk?

dudeinpinkfit
11-25-2009, 08:37 AM
^^^^^^ i agree with him. ecu... harness..

Nachooooosupreme
11-25-2009, 09:08 AM
i agree with bump it def sounds like timing!!! if ur using all the parts listed above.. i would lean more to checking crank pulley or cam gear sizes and there corresponding belt to match head with bottom end. you will have off sets like deck height. just what im thinking and correct me if im wrong:wink:

iride_723
11-25-2009, 10:52 PM
I was told the b7 ECU and harness would work as long as Im not running vtec, which Im not yet. So, was that wrong info then? And I already got a cam gear from a junk yard off a 2000 civic ex which would come from the Y8 head correct? The cam gear I got looked different design wise but was same size and tooth count. My deck height is def. shorter. The old belt doesn't even come close to getting tension.

iride_723
11-25-2009, 10:53 PM
When I said timing was on, I meant visibly the cam gear and pulley marks are lined up. Firing order is right too if you consider that timing.

bumpstick
11-25-2009, 11:03 PM
So you are using a D15 block with a D16 head?

Trick
11-26-2009, 12:11 AM
sounds like it

Jay_Rob61590
11-26-2009, 12:39 AM
I have a 94 DX. It had a head blown gasket. I replaced the original D15b7 with a D16z6. It would only start if I advanced the cam gear 4 teeth and even then it would just idle when I held throttle half open. More or less gas would kill it. That was with the original dizzy so I got the dizzy for the head thinking that was the problem. Now it won't start at all. Why wont it start?????????????

P.S. timing is on. I have taken the crank pulley off 2 times to make sure. And I have the EX belt on it.

I am out of ideas!!!!?!?!?!
Does it try to crank at least?
Did you put the spark plugs wires back in the right firing order after changing the dizzy?
How does the ignition timing look? i believe its 16 degrees BTDC

I was told the b7 ECU and harness would work as long as Im not running vtec, which Im not yet. So, was that wrong info then? And I already got a cam gear from a junk yard off a 2000 civic ex which would come from the Y8 head correct? The cam gear I got looked different design wise but was same size and tooth count. My deck height is def. shorter. The old belt doesn't even come close to getting tension.

The b7 harness would work it jus wouldnt engage vtec. IDK about the ecu, but you should probably get it (p28). The y8 cam gear from the 2000 ex will work.

x2

bumpstick
11-26-2009, 12:40 AM
sounds like it
Well he never responds so we all have to guess lol

It's not the size or tooth count that matters, it's where the cam gear is keyed.

ej1reddevil
11-29-2009, 06:47 PM
for now atleast get the p28 ecu. the stock ecu will fuck that motor up maps are different ive done it with an ls and i had a p28 runnin and i slowly fried the head. u can easily see how to wire vtec if u need just the plug u can get it on ebay for about 10 bucks. double check everything it is possible to overlook one little thing