PDA

View Full Version : No sound from speaker, but speaker OK

TwoGlassEyes
12-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda noob and car audio noob here.

I recently replaced what I thought was a bad speaker in my car, only to find I'm still not getting sound. I put the "bad" speaker on the other side of the car, and it works fine. Neither the new speaker nor the original stock speaker from the other side works where the old speaker was plugged in.

So, what's the real problem I need to fix? What steps do I need to take to find out, if there's no easy answer?

I'm running a stock stereo in my EG hatch, and the speakers are stock (though the new speakers are Kenwood), in case this info helps. Thanks in advance.

Stock?
12-07-2009, 02:17 AM
check your balance on your deck....make sure it's not to 1 side
otherwise it could be a grounded out speaker wire or just a bad deck

TwoGlassEyes
12-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Balance is fine--that's how I made sure there was no sound coming from that side.

Will I have to pull the door panel to find out whether the speaker wire is grounded? How can I tell if the deck is bad (it IS the original stock deck from 1994...)?

Stock?
12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
easiest way to tell if it's a grounded out wire or the deck is to take the deck out and cut the speaker wire behind the deck and try your speaker there.
if it works....run a new wire
if it doesn't work....get a new deck

you need to cut the wires though......that's the only way to tell for sure if it's a grounded out wire this way

or if you have a multimeter you can measure resistance across the 2 speaker wires, it should be 4ohms
them measure resistance to ground....the reading on the meter shouldn't change, if it does there is a short to ground

Pendulum
12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
It's not a grounded wire. It's a broken wire.

A grounded wire will kill all 4 channels, it's a safety feature to make sure you don't start a fire.

Either you need to run speaker wire from the deck to that speaker, or hunt down the break and fix it. I'd just run new wire. Faster and easier.

It could be the deck, though. I don't know how likely it is that one channel is bad, but it's probably possible.

BigCountry
12-07-2009, 05:34 PM
It's not a grounded wire. It's a broken wire.

A grounded wire will kill all 4 channels, it's a safety feature to make sure you don't start a fire.

Either you need to run speaker wire from the deck to that speaker, or hunt down the break and fix it. I'd just run new wire. Faster and easier.

It could be the deck, though. I don't know how likely it is that one channel is bad, but it's probably possible.

Best answer here....

I don't think that it's just the channel on the deck. It would have to be a broken wire in line somewhere.

TwoGlassEyes
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies; I'll run a new wire and see if that fixes it.

Sidenote: I bought some open box Kenwood 3-way speakers off of crutchfield.com; because they were open box, they were discounted. I stupidly installed the first speaker without inspecting the second, which had a cracked cone. I called crutchfield, and they're sending me a brand new set. Moral of the Story: 1. brand new speakers for open box price, 2. crutchfield has excellent customer service.