PDA

View Full Version : Wat box hits harder?

SoB NiG
12-12-2009, 03:04 AM
Sealed or ported?? Easy question judt lookin for an easy answer... Thanks!!!

BigCountry
12-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Depends on the size of the sub(s) and what vehicle it's going in. With my experience I had 2 tens in a ported box in my last EK hatch and it hit hard.... Way back in the day I had 2 15's in my truck. That box was sealed and hit hard. Same truck had 2 12's in a sealed and then ported box and both were pretty equal.

Just depends really....

familywagon
12-12-2009, 05:27 AM
A ported box definately "hits harder" with every sub I've ever had. Ported gives a deeper base sound but not as crisp as sealed. The down fall is that ported inclosures requires more air space. For example: (Can't remember exactly) An alpine type r sub requires 1.0 cu ft air space for sealed / but 1.6 - 2.0 for ported. Its also important to properly design the port.

Jstylez
12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
ported... but you you to have it "tuned" correctly to the sub's air dimensions .... different subs have different peak air dimensions, so the size of the box and the length of the port tube all play a role in the out come of the sub's sound.

Sound=vibration
12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
This is a hard topic to answer.
In theory a ported box is more efficent and should interms be louder although it depends on the sub and car it is going into.

but properly designed a ported and a seald box can have the same amount of output and sound just as good as the other..

I build custom enclosure all the time pm me with your sub/s car and what music you listen to and i can point you in the right direction. I can even do you a box design if wanted

Remeber there are a ton of other boxes as well horns tlines bandpass ect it just dependds on space the driver the car and preference

Pendulum
12-15-2009, 10:42 AM
This is not an easy question.
You will not get an easy answer.

/thread.

Fenix
12-15-2009, 05:08 PM
get to work^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BlownspeakerBoX
12-16-2009, 05:11 PM
short answer. ported...have 8inch solobaric's right now for $100..dont let the small size fool you, these are heavy hitters.

Sound=vibration
12-16-2009, 06:04 PM
short answer. ported...have 8inch solobaric's right now for $100..dont let the small size fool you, these are heavy hitters.
Not always ported but the 8in solobarics in the right box are amazing haha... great little sub if you ask me

jdm egizzle 6
12-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I had a lot of different systems I perfer closed for small cars and ported for suvs because of the big space.

SoB NiG
12-17-2009, 01:57 PM
I kno it was kinda a wiiide question... I was askn cause i got a box for free that would give me sooo much more space in my hatch... But the down side is that it didnt hit as hard as my big ass proted box that leaves me nooo room... Kinda sucks cause i have no room but hits with the right amp...

auex
12-17-2009, 06:50 PM
All things being EQUAL ported box will ALWAYS be louder. It is down to physics but ported is generally louder while sealed generally is better sq.

BlownspeakerBoX
12-17-2009, 11:20 PM
ported box will almost alway give you +3db over sealed

Sound=vibration
12-18-2009, 05:35 PM
ported box will almost alway give you +3db over sealed
In theory almost always but not always..

Sound=vibration
12-18-2009, 05:36 PM
I kno it was kinda a wiiide question... I was askn cause i got a box for free that would give me sooo much more space in my hatch... But the down side is that it didnt hit as hard as my big ass proted box that leaves me nooo room... Kinda sucks cause i have no room but hits with the right amp...

get a custom box its the best way to go

LadyLockness
12-23-2009, 09:48 PM
a ported box will give you a longer hold on the bass notes, more resonance. A sealed Box will hit much harder but the notes wont hold out as long........I prefer sealed, i like the hard bass

EFinyouup
12-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Its up too you sealed has sq ( sound qauilty ) ported is noise more boom boom personially I like sealesd it sounds a lot better but like I said its all up too you

Sound=vibration
12-28-2009, 03:07 AM
God most of you guys are so far off its not funny this thread needs to be closed already...

SoB NiG
12-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Lol x2 cause i decided to keep my big ass ported box alooooong time ago!

dobslob
02-07-2010, 11:04 AM
If I am building a system for max output it will be ported. If I am building it for sound quality it will be ported. I only do sealed if I am just terribly limited on space or if the customer really wants sealed. A ported system will require that you use some type of high pass crossover or subsonic filter at the tuning frequency to avoid damage to the woofer(s).

A properly designed and built ported box will always give you more output and with any decent subwoofer will give you great sound as well. The biggest benefit of ported boxes for me is the extra output for a given amount of power. On really big systems, like the one I am building now, going ported will save thousands of dollars to achieve the same output. In this case, to have the same output and use the same space inside the vehicle the customer could either do 4 12W7s sealed, or 2 ported. The 4 sealed will require twice the power, so he would need another amplifier. That amplifier will draw a lot more current, so he will need to add another extra alternator. There will be considerable time involved in setting up the extra alternator he will need, we are already adding one for the rest of the system. So, in this case, for slightly more output from a ported box with 2 subs and a slightly smaller box, the customer will save at least $7000.

i30stmi
02-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Here's the end of this thread, and the correct answer! Ported can give you a higher SPL rating but it will only do that on certain bands depending on the subwoofer you are using. For example, 20-60Hz might be louder with a properly tuned, vented enclosure... but higher than 60Hz actually sounds worse vented than sealed with the same sub in the correct sized (vented or sealed) enclosure. So depending on your needs, space, crossover settings and what you're running for interiors; vented may be better for some people, sealed may be better for others. I personally prefer sealed.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's alot of math and theory but holds true when you test it with a dB meter.

Off topic but I have an MDF enclosure that fits in a spare tire well for a 92-95 civic coupe for free! all you have to do is come get it in chandler! fits 2 12"s up to 6 inches deep. Also, if you ever need a fiberglass box made or audio work done; I cut deals for fellow honda/acura enthusiasts! See my certifications, I install/repair car audio for a living.

auex
02-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Nice to see some other experienced 12volt guys on the board. Mind posting some background info? Welcome to the board! Also have you ever posted on the12volt.com forum? I should really get around to taking the masters test as my certification has expired a couple years ago. Can you proctor the exam?

Nachooooosupreme
02-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Here's the end of this thread, and the correct answer! Ported can give you a higher SPL rating but it will only do that on certain bands depending on the subwoofer you are using. For example, 20-60Hz might be louder with a properly tuned, vented enclosure... but higher than 60Hz actually sounds worse vented than sealed with the same sub in the correct sized (vented or sealed) enclosure. So depending on your needs, space, crossover settings and what you're running for interiors; vented may be better for some people, sealed may be better for others. I personally prefer sealed.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's alot of math and theory but holds true when you test it with a dB meter.

Off topic but I have an MDF enclosure that fits in a spare tire well for a 92-95 civic coupe for free! all you have to do is come get it in chandler! fits 2 12"s up to 6 inches deep. Also, if you ever need a fiberglass box made or audio work done; I cut deals for fellow honda/acura enthusiasts! See my certifications, I install/repair car audio for a living.
good shit to know...welcome to azht!! :tits:

i30stmi
02-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Dob Slob is the best 12 volt guy on this forum... assuming it's Doug Dobson. He and I are both from Michigan! I've been in the valley for three years now (in april).

I'm not against vented boxes. In fact; they are great! Everything in Dob's post is 100% correct. They are awesome if they are made right. I just hate the 90% of them that are made wrong. Or the pre-made, "cookie cutter" boxes you buy at shops that aren't made for any specific sub. The example I used was random numbers; I could give specific examples with specific subwoofer specs but it'd be a waste of time. The point is that there are several types of boxes and there are just as many people who would argue each one is better. If it's made to the specs of the subwoofer, then it's a good box; reguardless of whether it is sealed or ported.

I'm not here to toot my own horn. I just love Honda! And if I can help someone with their 12v stuff... then great! Come help me install a turbo! Haha! Thanks for the welcome guys, glad to be here!

auex
02-13-2010, 03:14 AM
OH toot away, Master Certification is a great achievement. There aren't many others with that certification. I just wish I had gotten around to taking it when i was fully active inteh field. It was one of my professional goals. Now health issues will probably prevent me from continuing in the mobile electronics field.

dobslob
02-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Yes Josh. It is me.

And your post is correct as well in respect to the band of frequencies. Keep in mind though, that in most applications it will only need to play up to 80Hz or so, so that band can be pretty slim and still work great.

Now buy my engine!!!

tokico
02-13-2010, 04:58 PM
ported ftw

i30stmi
02-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Dob, I am moving in May (will still be in Chandler)... I might buy it then if you still have it. I'm getting into a rent free situation that would be great for helping that transaction! I've bought my engagement setting for Kristan; still need to throw a diamond in it. I just rebuilt my D16 from the ground up so I'd be sad to see her go but I'm sure I could sell it here and throw your B18 in.

i30stmi
02-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Oh yeah, my number is (269) 274-9497. if you want to talk about the engine let me know. Also call me if you need a hand or ANYTHING. I'm a 12 volt bitch compared to who you hang out with; I'd love to throw my hands on some of your projects for the experience. Missed you at happy hour thursday! Heard you sprang a leak.

93civiceg
02-15-2010, 11:41 PM
a ported box will give you a longer hold on the bass notes, more resonance. A sealed Box will hit much harder but the notes wont hold out as long........I prefer sealed, i like the hard cock
what??? :wave1:

Rzarectah
02-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Go with a bandpass box, you wont be disappointed...

Ali
02-25-2010, 11:40 AM
i would say sealed because i had a ten that was hitting really hard so i bout the same speaker n a PORTED box because it was cheaper .. worst desion i ever made in my life .. all the bass comes out of the ported hole.

Sound=vibration
02-27-2010, 08:00 AM
i would say sealed because i had a ten that was hitting really hard so i bout the same speaker n a PORTED box because it was cheaper .. worst desion i ever made in my life .. all the bass comes out of the ported hole.

:this-guy_2:

samu
03-02-2010, 10:26 AM
From my experience ported boxes need less power to get more sound out of them but ones you start to crank it up a sealed box will hit harder and sound better but you'll need good power(an amp that can take it)

Sound=vibration
03-02-2010, 08:10 PM
:this-guy::this-guy_2::this-guy_2::lame::lame:

auex
03-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Please let it die. I get all excited to when I see new posts in this forum only to see it is this one again.

urnvs
06-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Samu is correct, a ported box will play 'louder' across a specific frequency range when compared to the identical drivers in a sealed box with an identical, cheap amp. A sealed box however will play louder than a ported one with enough power because the sealed box controls driver movement which prevents overextending (blowing the speaker).

Sound=vibration
06-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Samu is correct, a ported box will play 'louder' across a specific frequency range when compared to the identical drivers in a sealed box with an identical, cheap amp. A sealed box however will play louder than a ported one with enough power because the sealed box controls driver movement which prevents overextending (blowing the speaker).
Its actaully over excursion of the woofer and it is dependant on the woofer. In theory a ported box should have a 3db gain over a sealed box however it is install depandant. If the box is properly built and tunned to spec. of the sub what not you will have no problem sounding as good or better than a sealed box with a ton more output. But PROPERLY is the key words. Prefabs are not worth shit and if your gains are set correctly via dmm or Oscope and have a subsonic filter or a sub that can handle the lows over excursion isnt a problem. I can play mine down to 10hrz all day and i put up 144db with minimal power all sealed up.

forcefed
06-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Its funny listening to every one talk about ported boxes that have to be tuned to the specs of the sub. Sure there are general rules of thumb and manufacturer recommendations, but when calculating port length for a specific port area and box volume, the actual Theile Small perameters are not used.

dobslob
06-27-2010, 07:30 PM
True, but the T/S parameters are used to determine if the driver will even work well in a vented enclosure, as well as what frequency that enclosure should be tuned to.

forcefed
06-27-2010, 08:43 PM
You are correct, but I would like to see some of these people try to calculate sealed or ported parameters, much less a band pass as some one recomended. You never really here about the the QTC or f3 of sealed enclosures and these are some of the easiest to caLculate

auex
06-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Do you think that some of the people here don't know how to properly calculate enclosures?

dobslob
06-28-2010, 06:39 PM
I think that most people in car audio shops don't know how to properly calculate enclosures.

forcefed
06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
My intent for the message is general. I know there are a lot of people who know how. I am not trying to point out any individuals.

auex
06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I think that most people in car audio shops don't know how to properly calculate enclosures.

That I would agree with. Also I just wish this thread would die.

i30stmi
07-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I still have a mdf 2 12" enclosure for the spare tire compartment of an EG. Fits coupe for sure, hatch possibly. FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE... just PM me. And if you boot this because it should be in the classifieds... I think your minimum posting for classifieds is gay. I am on these forums very often, I just like to read... not so much of a poster.

lancerman17
10-17-2010, 03:15 PM
i want to put 2 p3s shallow mount in my del sol what would be a beter box open or closed btw its gonna be fully custom

lancerman17
10-17-2010, 03:29 PM
in the car not the trunk

auex
10-17-2010, 09:08 PM
What kind of music do you listen to?

Sound=vibration
10-18-2010, 07:53 AM
in the car not the trunk

Pm me already have a design that fits there

torqueless
10-18-2010, 09:12 AM
:google::google::google::google::google::google:

auex
10-18-2010, 09:19 AM
:google::google::google::google::google::google:

Wow could you possibly post a more worthless comment?

lancerman17
10-20-2010, 03:59 PM
i listen to absolutly every thing rap rock metal thechno country old school everything that sounds good

i30stmi
10-21-2010, 10:53 PM
I can make a custom enclosure... I've gone through schooling etc and have all of the correct tools and knowhow to make the most out of your space.

I have two rolling portfolios if you want to check them out, let me know and we can meet up!

auex
10-22-2010, 09:12 AM
i listen to absolutly every thing rap rock metal thechno country old school everything that sounds good

Personally I would stick with a sealed enclosure

lancerman17
10-22-2010, 04:18 PM
i had 2 p2s in a open box crappy amp and it hit harder than my p3s same amp same box so subs also help with box decisions

the_serg
10-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Sealed!

casto27
11-21-2010, 06:36 PM
simple answer would be ported if the person making it knows what they are doing... if they dont i would go with a sealed. There is a lot of factors in building a box. port length, tuning frequency... but if tuned with the right measurements with the sub.. the sub will pound

civic nerd
01-07-2011, 10:55 PM
It is a very vague question. you can have them hit equally as hard depending on the airspace in the box. however, sealed boxes almost always have a better response time which keeps your bass from sounding raspy. Not all subs are meant for ported boxes either. Some are meant to flex more than other so a ported box can make it easy to blow a fragile speaker. If you are going to make your own box i recommend using a speaker box encloser calculator to maximize your speakers efficiency and sound quality.

MeanMachine22
01-15-2011, 10:03 PM
ported for sure

pyroman711
10-18-2011, 11:19 AM
a ported box with resinate louder and be louder but it wont be able to play bass as fast for like rock so it depends on what type of music u listen to if u listen to rap get ported if you listen to rock get sealed

urnvs
12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Ive been doing this shit for a long time and can say conclusively that assuming the boxes are built correctly, if you use the same driver/amp combination (and the amp isnt something crazy like 8000w RMS) a ported box will bump harder but a sealed box will sound better.

bandwagon1
01-11-2012, 08:41 PM
it all depends but a sealed box hits hard.

azn8v
06-08-2012, 01:45 PM
bandpass box give u best of both

failedabortion
06-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Someone delete this thread so tards stop bumping it...

09civicLX
07-01-2012, 02:56 PM
This is a hard topic to answer.
In theory a ported box is more efficent and should interms be louder although it depends on the sub and car it is going into.

but properly designed a ported and a seald box can have the same amount of output and sound just as good as the other..

I build custom enclosure all the time pm me with your sub/s car and what music you listen to and i can point you in the right direction. I can even do you a box design if wanted

Remeber there are a ton of other boxes as well horns tlines bandpass ect it just dependds on space the driver the car and preference

i have had 2 15s in a sealed box and it slammed but ive also had a single p3 10 in a custom tuned box that not only hit very hard but it sounded super clear (by ar the clearest system ive had) right now i have 2 12s in a sealed box and it doesnt hit as hard as it could but definitally sounded good

b18c6
07-09-2012, 08:41 PM
sound vibration is right he sounds like he know his shit!

Meat_Lovers_Pizza
07-13-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.illtaketen.com/images/genius/21.jpg

failedabortion
07-13-2012, 11:46 PM
http://www.illtaketen.com/images/genius/21.jpg

A picture of a pizza box would of been better for this thread:wave1:

91.ef.junkie
07-27-2012, 09:37 AM
i have 1 cerwin vega 15 in a sealed box that i did really good at bass competitions

failedabortion
07-27-2012, 11:44 AM
i have 1 cerwin vega 15 in a sealed box that i did really good at bass competitions

Sure you did...gtfo of this section.