PDA

View Full Version : dieting help!!:: calorie count or nutritional value? which is more important

intel
12-22-2009, 09:51 PM
I've been hitting the gym a lot more often recently, and while ive increased strength, im not seeing the tone i want. So i figure its time to add some weight loss into the mix:

My exercise is generally about 200-400 calories cardio(basketball/bike or stairs), then a fair amount ( about half to an hour) of weight lifting 4-6 days a week.

My question is:

Should i be more focused on what i eat instead of the calories associated? ie chicken even if its wings for the protein make up/ higher sodium pre cooked chicken, no carbs or fruits, etc etc?

or should i just eat normally(as long as i dont stray into junkfood): turkey sandwiches, cereal, carbs( pasta and rice), vegetables, and watch my calories?

What are your thoughts? as of now I seem to be trimming about one or two lbs a week but would like to see some faster changes/ definition

Nachooooosupreme
12-22-2009, 09:56 PM
watch your calorie intake!!! burn all the calories you can!!!! everyone should have balanced diet of carbs and protein for each day...i do. the leaner you eat the more fat you will burn. working out contributes to weight loss as well and after some time you will begin to feel healthier and eat healthier.

bumpstick
12-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Simple answer: both.
Multiply your goal weight by 100 and that will give you a rough target for your calorie intake. Given that caloric intake, split it up into percentages for protein, carbs, and fats/oils. So, if your target weight is 200 lbs. you want 2,000 cals a day. As an example, take 70% of your cals from proteins, 20% from carbs, and 10% from fats/oils. If you are trying to lose weight or put on muscle, you will need to change this formula up to suit your needs.

intel
12-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Just got back from the gym and well, thanks tons for the quick answers guys! with that said it doesnt feel soo hopeless anymore. lol I was really getting tired of trying to consume everything protein based. Eating healthy isnt hard but meh, i love my veggies and carby foods !

bb4arson
12-23-2009, 10:54 PM
how much do you weigh?
cause if ur trying to lose weight 200-400 calories in cardio i dont believe its going to cut it man ..

ur lucky u could eat veggies and be happy .. i dont like them to much just carrots

gcboy90
12-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Simple answer: both.
Multiply your goal weight by 100 and that will give you a rough target for your calorie intake. Given that caloric intake, split it up into percentages for protein, carbs, and fats/oils. So, if your target weight is 200 lbs. you want 2,000 cals a day. As an example, take 70% of your cals from proteins, 20% from carbs, and 10% from fats/oils. If you are trying to lose weight or put on muscle, you will need to change this formula up to suit your needs.

in order to maintain a healthy physique and lose fat, protein should be in the 50-60%. Let's say in a 2000kcal diet, you consume 1000 calories from protein. That is 250 grams of protein. You can still consume 130 grams of carbohydrates, and about 50-60 grams of fat.

But, where those fats/carbs come from are the most important. Greasy, saturated fatty foods are no bueno, and starchy, processed sugars are also no bueno. So in terms of what to eat, eating nuts and leaner cuts of red meat should give you the better fats you will need. Carbo-wise, eating whole grains, higher fiber foods, as well as a serving of fruit each day will help you lose weight.

With 2000kcals each day in addition to 30-60 minutes of exercise 5-6 days each week, you will most likely lose fat. It will be slower (somewhere around 1-3 pounds per week) but you will be losing it the right way.

intel
12-24-2009, 04:06 PM
With 2000kcals each day in addition to 30-60 minutes of exercise 5-6 days each week, you will most likely lose fat. It will be slower (somewhere around 1-3 pounds per week) but you will be losing it the right way.

sounds like exactly the boat im in right now..... But then again i also think i might have had an issue with my body "starving itself". I work 12 hours a day and sometimes fall asleep so some days i was consuming between 600 and 1100 calories a day...

and to the other question. Im im 6 feet, started at 278 and now about a month later, I'm down to only 266 but alot better physique. I like to be conservative and say 200-400, but i just bumped that up to 1k in cardio starting yesterday.

I see tonnnnnnns of improvement in my arms but still waiting and waiting and waiting.....the the day when i can see a hint of the six pack :D

anwyays i figure i might as well post some progress to keep track

A month ago:

(no homo)

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/ouch617/the%20kid/Photo0079.jpg

and well..ill post an update in three weeks. Id like to see how far i can get by bumping up the cardio and pushing the weight lifting further.

bumpstick
12-25-2009, 01:43 AM
As an example, take 70% of your cals from proteins, 20% from carbs, and 10% from fats/oils. If you are trying to lose weight or put on muscle, you will need to change this formula up to suit your needs.

in order to maintain a healthy physique and lose fat, protein should be in the 50-60%. Let's say in a 2000kcal diet, you consume 1000 calories from protein. That is 250 grams of protein. You can still consume 130 grams of carbohydrates, and about 50-60 grams of fat.

But, where those fats/carbs come from are the most important. Greasy, saturated fatty foods are no bueno, and starchy, processed sugars are also no bueno. So in terms of what to eat, eating nuts and leaner cuts of red meat should give you the better fats you will need. Carbo-wise, eating whole grains, higher fiber foods, as well as a serving of fruit each day will help you lose weight.

That's why I wrote "as an example" and "you will need to change this formula up to suit your needs." You'll have to start a diet and modify it to fit you. But yes, you need to also make sure that your fats/oils are not from straight lard or saturated fats and your carbs aren't from fucking potato chips. But I kind of thought that was common sense...

bumpstick
12-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Id like to see how far i can get by bumping up the cardio and pushing the weight lifting further.
There is a common misconception that weightlifting isn't as good as cardio for getting/staying lean. It is if you stay with it and eat right, IMO.

gcboy90
12-25-2009, 08:23 PM
That's why I wrote "as an example" and "you will need to change this formula up to suit your needs." You'll have to start a diet and modify it to fit you. But yes, you need to also make sure that your fats/oils are not from straight lard or saturated fats and your carbs aren't from fucking potato chips. But I kind of thought that was common sense...

sorry bro, i misread your post.

and yes, I'd like to think it is common sense as well. The ratio i had that i used to drop from 18%BF to about 12%BF was the ratio i gave above. Be consistent in your eating habits, dont go and do 600 some days and then 2500 on others. plan your meals out the night before, make them before you go to bed if you have to, that way you can eat every 2-3 hours.

bumpstick
12-25-2009, 10:57 PM
sorry bro, i misread your post.

And yes, i'd like to think it is common sense as well. The ratio i had that i used to drop from 18%bf to about 12%bf was the ratio i gave above. Be consistent in your eating habits, dont go and do 600 some days and then 2500 on others. Plan your meals out the night before, make them before you go to bed if you have to, that way you can eat every 2-3 hours.

qft

Medina
12-30-2009, 02:42 AM
OP what gym do you go to?

intel
12-30-2009, 04:03 PM
24 hour metro. im pretty sure ive saw some people from here but i never drove a honda so lol. may not have been recognized by the crowd

Medina
12-30-2009, 04:58 PM
24 hour metro. im pretty sure ive saw some people from here but i never drove a honda so lol. may not have been recognized by the crowd

did u ask about a steering wheel? say midnight? while playing tips with 3 mexicans? lol if so that was me, "uless", and "pino"

intel
12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
yup! always sparks my interest as to what people drive. but yea dude you go there alot?

Medina
12-31-2009, 01:14 PM
^^ yeah, Sunday-Thursday. We used to go around 7 but homeboy "uless" got his schedule changed at work so we hit it up around 11PM now

intel
12-31-2009, 01:31 PM
oh sweet im sure youll see me around then lol. just say something next time! im usually in the Zoneeeeeeeeeeee!

i got form like... 11-4 lol

intel
01-01-2010, 04:23 AM
holy FUck!!!!! brand new motivation is to look good in JUST a compression shirt! aiming for by march

javio24
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
a lot of what people often forget (myself included) is that you didnt get that way (your current weight) in 3-4 months, It was over years and a long period of time. Sure there are diets that will drop you 30-40 lbs, but when you as much as have a glass of water and bread your up 20 lbs and by far not healthy.

Losing weight is a "want" and a life style change...

Dropping the weight is quick when your at a heavier weight (like yourself, no calling out just being real) give it time man, work out hard and keep eating the way you are come 6+ months you will see a better physique and i guarantee that you will feel better about yourself

Theres gonna be that doubt. So dont try and base your weight loss by steppin on a scale, go off measurements (no homo lol) measuer your mid section, chest, arms, shit like that... then work out for a month come back measuer em again... also invest in a heart rate monitor so you can always stay in your "zone" and burn the most "fat" efficiently, and a body fat analyzer... again... to track your progress and reading something other than a scale...

GL on your workout "journey" man... im out of time but ill post up some "affordable" stacks to help us fatties cut the fat tomorrow ;)

rushbuster70
01-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Good Advice in here...

Damn I wish you guys went early in the morning lol...I go to the same gym but at like 4am

javio24
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
as promised check this out....
http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1818001#post1818001

AC Slater
01-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Make sure to switch up your routine every couple months or your body will get used to your workouts. I burn typically 3,000 to 6,000 calories a day and if I want to drop weight before a race I will swim or do bleachers. Cut out all drinks....water only then you will see some serious results fast.

AC Slater
01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Also break up your meals in half and eat every three hours. Avoid all white bread, soda, alcohol, and even fruit juice like orange juice.

Medina
01-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I cut soda and lost 4 pounds in a month and that's before i started going to the gym. after i started going to the gym I cut another 10 pounds(in 2 months) I was 216 now 202 in about 3 months. Now if i could be back down to180-190 by spring that would be fucking awesome. im 6'0"

intel
01-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Make sure to switch up your routine every couple months or your body will get used to your workouts. I burn typically 3,000 to 6,000 calories a day and if I want to drop weight before a race I will swim or do bleachers. Cut out all drinks....water only then you will see some serious results fast.

what are your thoughts on flavored water /gatorade water? is that the exception to the rule? cuz water is BLEH when youre not thirsty

gcboy90
01-06-2010, 03:23 PM
crystal light isnt bad.

AC Slater
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Don't do Gatorade! Crystal light is better. I cut soda and took my withdrawls out on gatorade and I stayed fat for a year.

AC Slater
01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Sorry read your post above...flavored water is okay.

AC Slater
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I race bicycles and the only time I have Gatorade is when I'm doing a 4 to 6 hr ride and I will be depleating everything in my system.

AC Slater
01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
For instance today I rode 43 miles training ride and only would drink water. When I do 80 to 100 miles on Saturdays I will drink Gatorade but mostly water.

intel
01-07-2010, 11:21 AM
For instance today I rode 43 miles training ride and only would drink water. When I do 80 to 100 miles on Saturdays I will drink Gatorade but mostly water.

thanks tons! clarifies alot! will do

intel
01-07-2010, 08:43 PM
as promised check this out....
http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1818001#post1818001

went with the caffeine and green tea... hope it works!

a lot of what people often forget (myself included) is that you didnt get that way (your current weight) in 3-4 months, It was over years and a long period of time. Sure there are diets that will drop you 30-40 lbs, but when you as much as have a glass of water and bread your up 20 lbs and by far not healthy.

Losing weight is a "want" and a life style change...

Dropping the weight is quick when your at a heavier weight (like yourself, no calling out just being real) give it time man, work out hard and keep eating the way you are come 6+ months you will see a better physique and i guarantee that you will feel better about yourself

Theres gonna be that doubt. So dont try and base your weight loss by steppin on a scale, go off measurements (no homo lol) measuer your mid section, chest, arms, shit like that... then work out for a month come back measuer em again... also invest in a heart rate monitor so you can always stay in your "zone" and burn the most "fat" efficiently, and a body fat analyzer... again... to track your progress and reading something other than a scale...

GL on your workout "journey" man... im out of time but ill post up some "affordable" stacks to help us fatties cut the fat tomorrow ;)

Actually! I totally understand what youre saying here. Ive always been healthy...wait let me rephrase that, ive always been athletic but it comes down to four 4 years i was doing the college thing along with working 11 hour shifts stationery doing IT work on the late shift.

SO that means 4 years of NOTHING but junk food and eating right before sleep..shit of that nature

so based on that information im back to my healthier ways, working morning shifts and back to the usual.... not to be homo but im pretty impressed with how quick my physique transforms. I have a pretty awesome stature to build off...

but....i got a ton of belly fat and back fat. other than that its all good. so i know what i gotta do and im doing it but im just taking advice on rushing the process. the muscle and strength building is going well but ineed to lose the gut to get ready to dunk and a six pack would be nice

PLUsssss that little pile of fat around my cock is kinda annoying ...... :031:

so yea guys! keep it all comin! ill post some pics up to show the current status. . huge difference in about a month and a half so far.. still miles to go before sun down

AC Slater
01-08-2010, 07:11 PM
If you want to get into shape fast buy a road bike and pass by Tribe Multisport in Tempe and ask about their group rides (all riding levels). Jump on those and there are a ton of races in Arizona http://www.azcycling.com/ and here is a cool local website http://velocitygroupcycling.com/ . The fat will fall off you if you have a race that your training for and you want to look good for the chicks. Diet and training are easier with competitive goals and I dropped 40 lbs in three months when I first started.

intel
01-08-2010, 07:28 PM
If you want to get into shape fast buy a road bike and pass by Tribe Multisport in Tempe and ask about their group rides (all riding levels). Jump on those and there are a ton of races in Arizona http://www.azcycling.com/ and here is a cool local website http://velocitygroupcycling.com/ . The fat will fall off you if you have a race that your training for and you want to look good for the chicks. Diet and training are easier with competitive goals and I dropped 40 lbs in three months when I first started.

you ever hit the gym slater? you sound like someone i can use some pointers from!

and as for making the drastic change, i plan on pushing it into gear sooon! as for now im as competitive with losing the weight with a few other goals. Finishing last course before degree and studying for the CCNA. but im getting the prep ready. getting in shape to Get IN SHAPE!~!!!!! lol

but yea pmed dude

intel
01-13-2010, 03:42 PM
what if you smoke?? can u still loose weight??? lol! serious question

you lose it faster

intel
01-14-2010, 12:30 AM
hahaha! u serious??? because i asked a serious question

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=smoking+weight+loss&aq=0&aqi=g5&oq=smoking+weight+&fp=3642d8d83be4f02e

ArsonALL
01-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Just eat work out and avoid ANY FATTY foods!!! go for protein and some carbs... I eat that way 207lbs 10% body fat

intel
02-21-2010, 02:20 AM
2 and a half months later im down to 250!

i probably lost more but gained more muscle also. its coming slowly but surely. Ive also been slacking on the diet occasionally; sometimes when id forget to bring a lunch id go with mcdonalds :(!!!!!!

anyways ive up'd the calories to atleast 600-1400 when I'm going in. alot more weight lifting. im also about to up it a notch to see where i can get in 2 more months.

bb4arson
02-21-2010, 03:56 AM
2 and a half months later im down to 250!

i probably lost more but gained more muscle also. its coming slowly but surely. Ive also been slacking on the diet occasionally; sometimes when id forget to bring a lunch id go with mcdonalds :(!!!!!!

anyways ive up'd the calories to atleast 600-1400 when I'm going in. alot more weight lifting. im also about to up it a notch to see where i can get in 2 more months.

holly shit how to do you just consume 600 cals .. or is this after you calculate your workouts and stuff?

intel
02-21-2010, 07:01 PM
holly shit how to do you just consume 600 cals .. or is this after you calculate your workouts and stuff?

AHHHHHHHH! you took that wrong! lol. i mean of cardio that im doing 5 days a week. 600-1400 calories. sometimes more when im playing basketball but i dont count that accurately

bb4arson
02-21-2010, 07:11 PM
AHHHHHHHH! you took that wrong! lol. i mean of cardio that im doing 5 days a week. 600-1400 calories. sometimes more when im playing basketball but i dont count that accurately

ok so each day you do 600-1400cals ?or should i say for those 5 days

intel
02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
ok so each day you do 600-1400cals ?or should i say for those 5 days

yesssssssssir!! im not sure what the machines are but its a combination of this elliptical like machine, stairs, and basketball. I'm getting ready to put swimming into the mix also

bb4arson
02-23-2010, 02:38 PM
yesssssssssir!! im not sure what the machines are but its a combination of this elliptical like machine, stairs, and basketball. I'm getting ready to put swimming into the mix also

got you swimming is the best ..i used to spend 30min doing laps after working out my legs and man would it be a killer

intel
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Its calories. I keep it simply 3 small meals with water everyday. ballpark 1200 - 1500 cal - 800 cal from P90X/afternoon cardio.
Dont ever eat within 3 - 4 hours of going to sleep. All that unburned sugar/glucose will be stored as body fat when you sleep.

also be aware of frozen burritos or sopa maruchens their an easy way to control calories, but the excess sodium makes it harder to lose weight.

most important shit EEEEEEEEEEEVER!! i just added this into my regiment last week and have seen a dramatic change already lol

bb4arson
02-28-2010, 03:15 AM
most important shit EEEEEEEEEEEVER!! i just added this into my regiment last week and have seen a dramatic change already lol

so to get lean and not have the foods just go into your stomach just eat protiens and carbs .and you will be fine?
i have a problem with just my lower abs the ones underneath the bellybutton area
or should i just do alot of lower ab work out
im 5'11" 174 9.4 bodyfat(6ft with shoes)

i tried to gain weight once and i made it to 189 but than i was like fuck this i feel slow at this weight ..so i just burned it back off with alot of running and just water ..o and calorie counting