PDA

View Full Version : need some input on SUBWOOFERS

usdmEF_9
02-03-2010, 10:26 AM
ok so i haven't used either of the subs that im getting? so im looking for some input on them... i've always had JL or Memphis

the sub's that im looking at are

2 12" Eclipse SW4200

Subwoofer Size 12"
Voice Coil(s) Single (1 voice coil)
Impedance (per voice coil) 4 ohms
Peak Power Handling 750 watts
RMS Power Handling 250 watts
Woofer Composition Kevlar
Woofer Surround Foam
Sensitivity 88 dB
Frequency Response 34 - 1500 Hz
Xmax (millimeters) 6.8 mm
Top Mount Depth 5-13/16"
Cutout Diameter 10-13/16"

and

2 12" Clarion SW1251

Subwoofer Size 12"
Subwoofer Design Round / Circle
Main Cone Color Dark Gray
Voice Coil(s) Single (1 voice coil)
Impedance (per voice coil) 4 ohms
Peak Power Handling 700 watts
RMS Power Handling 250 watts
Woofer Composition Woven Glass Fiber
Woofer Surround Rubber
Minimum Sealed Box Volume .90 cubic feet
Maximum Sealed Box Volume .90 cubic feet
Minimum Ported Box Volume 1.10 cubic feet
Maximum Ported Box Volume 1.10 cubic feet
Sensitivity 89.6 dB
Frequency Response 30 - 1,000 Hz
Xmax (millimeters) N/A
Top Mount Depth 6.5"
Shallow Mount Installation No
Cutout Diameter 11.31"
Recommended Enclosure Type Ported / Vented
Sealed
Subwoofer Grille No
Re-Cone Kit Available No

so what im looking for some input on either from someone who has had either or heard either, im looking for something nice with good bass to put in my girls car they will be run off a 1500watt amp w/ bass controller and i have all the mid's/ tweeters running off a Eclipse amp with a Pioneer 7000bt deck

bumpstick
02-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Compare the sensitivity. The higher the better.

usdmEF_9
02-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Compare the sensitivity. The higher the better.

what do you mean by sensitivity?

usdmEF_9
02-03-2010, 10:43 AM
heres some spec's iv'e found

eclipse sw4200

12" Single 4 ohms Subwoofer
Power Handling:
RMS: 250 watts
Peak: 750 watts
Impedance: Single 4 ohms
Kevlar composite cone delivers thunderous lows and provides rapid transient response and clearly defined pitch.
Integrated grill assembly
Foam surround
Polycarbonate spider
43oz magnet
4-layer aluminum single voice coil
Air vent cooling system helps keep the system at a low temperature for optimal performance during heavy usage.
Grill included

clarion sw1251

12" SW Series Single 4 ohm Subwoofer
Power Handling:
Peak: 700 watts
RMS: 250 watts
Single 4 Ohm Heat Resistant Voice Coil
Polypropylene Electronic Spun Aluminum Dust Cap
Fiber Glass / Paper Cone Design
Nitrile Butadiene Rubber High Excursion Surround
Dual Strontium Ferrite Magnets
Hyper Extended Vented Pole Piece
Spider Exhaust Technology (SET) Cooling
Dual Gold Plated Terminal Blocks
Linear Cotton Spider with Integrated Tinsel Leads
Custom Stamped Steel Powder Coated Chassis

ej1reddevil
02-04-2010, 02:36 AM
im not a big fan of SVC subs but from the look of it i think the clarions would be better

ej1reddevil
02-04-2010, 02:37 AM
it also depends on what ur wanting to do with the system...and of course the box, what amp, gauge size all tht shit

auex
02-04-2010, 02:59 PM
im not a big fan of SVC subs but from the look of it i think the clarions would be better

I'm sorry, but do you have any reson for this? Also I would prefer the eclipse over clarion personally. You need to go listen to them.

fRoSt
02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
depends on wat u want. both can be good but bout the eclipse is, it hits on lower volume cuz of the sensitivity. but, i know u can control how much power u want so no need to say more. just my advice

MrRline2010
02-06-2010, 06:09 AM
so why not get some jl's???

bumpstick
02-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Because it looks like he's not trying to spend more than $100

MrRline2010
02-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Because it looks like he's not trying to spend more than $100

Why put crap in the trunk though makes no sense. That's like buying a house you hate because you can put a couch in it better than your apartment.

bumpstick
02-06-2010, 12:35 PM
lol i agree

fRoSt
02-06-2010, 06:09 PM
oh yea. i got a rockford fosgate p3 12inch 1k watts peak (500 rms) for 140 obo if u need a sub thats good and cheap. its been in my garage forever. also was in my thread but too lazy to find it.

Obd1_GsR
02-06-2010, 06:25 PM
why those two of all subs out there. dont know alot about subs but i have had my fair share of them and of them all alpine type R.. was my favorite of them all.

Shane Co.
02-06-2010, 07:17 PM
when it comes to car audio, you get what you pay for. when you go cheap on the equip, you get cheap sounding bass. if you spend some money on it(and it doesn't have to be a whole lot) you'll find yourself much happier with it in the end. just my .02

ChrisIsYoung
02-06-2010, 07:33 PM
^^ agreed

fRoSt
02-07-2010, 02:08 AM
why those two of all subs out there. dont know alot about subs but i have had my fair share of them and of them all alpine type R.. was my favorite of them all.

why the alpine type R's? i've heard it b4 and know it has a rattle sound from it, not the box. i'll say the JL audio, Rockford Fosgate, and Polk has good quality and sound. my friend had a infinity b4 and it got burnt out quick. so i dont recommend on that. but from view which sub is better would be some of the one i listed. thats just subs itself though. u can look into door speakers and tweeters with infinity if u want good treble. for the mids i dont know cuz i dont own any 6x9. dont be cheap on it if u want good sound and quality that will actually last. i've invest a good 1.5k in sound system and happy with it. i would say its pretty cheap. 4 door speakers with tweeter cone(infinity), alpine 9883 deck, custom box, 12 inch rockford fosgate t2 (2000wp), 1200rms Hifonics Brutus amp, tsunami 2 farad capacitor, and one of the best kicker tweeter i could find. thats my setup right there. still alright but needs an equalizer to freshen up the sound a bit more. also make sure u get some fatty gage wires to get the power to ur setup or else u'll get some distortion and power outage.

Obd1_GsR
02-07-2010, 11:26 AM
why the alpine type R's? i've heard it b4 and know it has a rattle sound from it, not the box. i'll say the JL audio, Rockford Fosgate, and Polk has good quality and sound. my friend had a infinity b4 and it got burnt out quick. so i dont recommend on that. but from view which sub is better would be some of the one i listed. thats just subs itself though. u can look into door speakers and tweeters with infinity if u want good treble. for the mids i dont know cuz i dont own any 6x9. dont be cheap on it if u want good sound and quality that will actually last. i've invest a good 1.5k in sound system and happy with it. i would say its pretty cheap. 4 door speakers with tweeter cone(infinity), alpine 9883 deck, custom box, 12 inch rockford fosgate t2 (2000wp), 1200rms Hifonics Brutus amp, tsunami 2 farad capacitor, and one of the best kicker tweeter i could find. thats my setup right there. still alright but needs an equalizer to freshen up the sound a bit more. also make sure u get some fatty gage wires to get the power to ur setup or else u'll get some distortion and power outage.

I have fosgates in my car and my friend has the Type R and even when i hooked his box and sub up in my car it sounded way better.

I had a JL with a TMI (JL) amp that i sold on here it sounds great. but just not like the Type R

Sound=vibration
02-08-2010, 07:29 PM
A sub does not burn out on its own... Dont give a bad name to something that was under someone else control. Subs only do what they are told and i can gaurntee it was most likley a user error. a sub burning out is the coils being burnt to shit due to clipping or way over powering.
On another note how much are you looking to spend. I deal SSA subs and do car audio everyday all day if you need help pm.. I can help you get what you need even if your on a tight budget.

Method520
02-09-2010, 09:14 AM
well i hope those arent my clarions.. my sw51s got stolen a couple weeks ago

usdmEF_9
02-14-2010, 08:14 AM
well i hope those arent my clarions.. my sw51s got stolen a couple weeks ago

sorry to hear that but i can assure you there not these are brandnew still in boxes and all original packaging and i have receipt's for them

usdmEF_9
02-14-2010, 08:15 AM
and the reason for these subs is IM GETTING THEM FOR FREE FOR MONEY THAT WAS OWED TO ME BY SOMEONE he bought them new and gave me receipt's and all

jsk314
02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
and the reason for these subs is IM GETTING THEM FOR FREE FOR MONEY THAT WAS OWED TO ME BY SOMEONE he bought them new and gave me receipt's and all

shit them shits are hot! haha just playin...but hey i wouldnt get either clarion or eclipse they both suck ass lol...you could get one nice 12 that wil hit harder and sound clearer than both of those shit... 2 8 inch kicker l7s will hit harder than those 12s:shocked: and as for due sayig type r is junk...your smokin rocks alpine still makes a decent speaker maybe not recievers anymore..back in the day alpine head units were the shit...but not anymore

Sound=vibration
02-15-2010, 09:22 AM
shit them shits are hot! haha just playin...but hey i wouldnt get either clarion or eclipse they both suck ass lol...you could get one nice 12 that wil hit harder and sound clearer than both of those shit... 2 8 inch kicker l7s will hit harder than those 12s:shocked: and as for due sayig type r is junk...your smokin rocks alpine still makes a decent speaker maybe not recievers anymore..back in the day alpine head units were the shit...but not anymore
I have to agree with the alpine rs. But over priced and their lows sound like shit even in a decent box. The 8in l7 are not bad for their price decent little eight.

peakprocess
03-03-2010, 01:55 PM

dvc = 2 svc . the dual voice coil gives you more wiring options. so if you mean you like the versatility of dvc subs then yes most will agree.

peakprocess
03-03-2010, 02:24 PM
is your amp 1500w rms? prolly doesnt matter. u gotta lot of juice goin to the 250w sub. u can turn the amp down i guess or sell the sub you are getting for free towards a higher handling sub.

if u had to use either sub go with eclipse. but either one will bump and ur gf wont notice the diff. my .02

Hopeless EP3
03-13-2010, 03:40 PM
AudioQue or Re Audio FTW!

bobbbbbbbbbbo
03-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Your gonna blow those subs... and not with alot of power.

Lemme guess, the amp is a Sony Xplode?

Give her the Eclipse speakers, put them in a sealed box so you can run that much power to them, and pray she doesnt crank up the bass knob. Actually, take away that bass knob, all it is is a clipped wave knob... your going to send all kinds of dirty signal to those subs, which is why I say go sealed box.

If your amp is 1500 rms I hope you have a second battery in that car, or an upgraded alternator.

b20what
03-25-2010, 02:05 AM
If your looking for some input on subs connect the cables.

KANANIMAULOA
03-26-2010, 05:05 PM
13w7 ftw

Kahuna
03-28-2010, 09:10 PM
^^^JL....over rated

the_serg
10-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Personally I think Eclipse and Clarion both suck balls. If i were you I would stick with JL audio. I had 2 12in w1's in the trunk of my car and hit hard with 1600 watt mono amp and a soundstream bass enhancer. But if you really dont want JL's give both the Eclipse and Clarion the finger and get Alpine Type R's.

stockNess Monster
10-27-2010, 03:00 PM
just get the jackhammer by mtx murder all hahaha

99luder
03-29-2011, 09:42 AM
if ur not trying to spend more the 100 dollars buy kicker comp 12's there the best bang for your buck priced at under 100

but if u want to get the best sound/hiting sub. jl w7 is the way to go.. either 12 or 13 they are a bit pricey and dont buy them used unless uve seen them hitting clean for a while as some people dont get it that its better to underpower then over power......

99luder
03-29-2011, 09:43 AM
have u heard a jackhammer hit.. sounds like total crap.. not a clean sounding sub at all lol...