PDA

View Full Version : Miracle Baby Survives...

eG_lOve
03-13-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/miracle-baby-bronson-staker-undergoes-hypothermia-to-cheat-death/19397097?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww .aolnews.com%2Fscience%2Farticle%2Fmiracle-baby-bronson-staker-undergoes-hypothermia-to-cheat-death%2F19397097

Miracle Baby Undergoes Hypothermia, Cheats Death

(March 12) -- Bronson Staker was only 17 months old when he was pronounced dead in a Utah hospital. But he's full of life today, thanks to an experimental procedure.

Bronson's remarkable ordeal started at the Stakers' home in Salt Lake City. While giving Bronson a bath, his mother, Sara, briefly left the room, distracted by one of her son's siblings. When she came back, Bronson was lying face down in the tub.

Staker tried CPR while she waited for paramedics, but neither she nor an EMS team could revive him. Bronson was rushed to the hospital and declared dead on arrival.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Still, doctors wouldn't give up without one final try: therapeutic hypothermia.

It's a technique that's gaining momentum. Usually, therapeutic hypothermia is used after a patient suffers cardiac arrest. The brain is deprived of oxygen and the heart stops beating. A patient is all but dead, much like Bronson.

If, and when, the heart starts to beat, oxygen floods the brain in an effort to restore function. That can overwhelm cells and result in cognitive and physical impairment.

Therapeutic hypothermia works by slowing down the body's natural recovery process.

Bronson's tiny body was cooled to 91 degrees, 8 below normal, and he was induced into a coma to prevent brain swelling. Two entire weeks would pass before doctors would slowly reheat, and then awaken, the child.

They warned his parents that Bronson might have regressed in cognitive and physical development -- if he woke up at all.

"We had been told we would probably take home a 16-month-old newborn," Staker told "The Today Show" this morning. "We had been told probably it would be months of rehab, maybe even years."

Doctors advised Staker and her husband, Matt, to prepare themselves for lifelong medical treatment and monitoring, and even the possibility that Bronson would suffer permanent damage.

What doctors didn't foresee was a complete recovery. But that's exactly what happened: A day after being revived, Bronson was walking. Now six weeks later, the Stakers' son is showing no signs of physical or cognitive delay or impairment.

Bronson's story is exceedingly rare, but therapeutic hypothermia has been successfully used before to treat children who've drowned. A 2009 review of the method in the Journal of Neurotrauma predicts that therapeutic hypothermia will soon have "broad applications" in pediatric medicine.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

WOW, being a mom and even thinking of having to go thru this is the scariest thing ever, I know at times i've stepped out of the bathroom to get a towel or the shampoo from another restroom, and I couldn't imagine coming back to this... This is amazing... WATCH the video it's soooo crazy, shit gives me chills... Its amazing some of the things hospitals can do now days. :)

ekhatch
03-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Those parents are so lucky they got their baby back i hate just leaving my kids in the bath just to get a towel

eG_lOve
03-13-2010, 03:46 PM
I know, and i've done that, towels in the room, so i just step right out of the restroom... and yeah they are lucky... that little boy is gorgeous... its amazing!

ekhatch
03-13-2010, 03:51 PM
yess hes a very cute boy !

Fix.it.again.Tony
03-13-2010, 03:51 PM
wall of text lol

slowmedown
03-13-2010, 04:33 PM
shitty mom

Fix.it.again.Tony
03-13-2010, 04:38 PM
shitty mom

like the mom that was playing "hide and seek" with her baby and hid her under the couch cushion and sat on her until she suffocated.

somehow she didn't know the baby was under the cushion?

BUNNY.WiNGZ<3
03-13-2010, 05:06 PM
daaamn this gave me chills!! i cannot even imagine how that felt. that baby boy is gorgeous!

eG_lOve
03-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Shit i got chills two, both times i watched it, because i showed my mom also.

slowmedown
03-13-2010, 06:33 PM
like the mom that was playing "hide and seek" with her baby and hid her under the couch cushion and sat on her until she suffocated.

somehow she didn't know the baby was under the cushion?

exactly

92hatchtuner
03-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Damn thats crazy

gunsup0331
03-13-2010, 07:01 PM
everyone with kids says theyll never leave it unattended in the tub but ive seen every parent ive ever known leave the bathroom to grab a towel or the phone or whatever.(obviously not when the kid is too small to sit up and stuff though)
I never really left my kid in the tub though until he was 2, now i leave him for a sec to get stuff without worryin too much. Actually he had a little chair when he was a baby, pretty much stuck him in an upright seated position, ive left him in that thing momentarily to get the camera cuz hes the cutest little shit ever. Some kids are pretty clumsy and stupid though, my 2yr old is a ninja compared to some other toddlers out there