PDA

View Full Version : 10 places not to use your debit card

teemfedx
03-21-2010, 05:22 PM
this is a story from yahoo.com

yahoo link here (http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/109125/10-places-not-to-use-your-debit-card?mod=bb-checking_savings)

1. Online
2. Big-Ticket Items
3. Deposit Required
4. Restaurants
5. You're a New Customer
6. Buy Now, Take Delivery Later
7. Recurring Payments
8. Future Travel
9. Gas Stations and Hotels
10. Checkouts or ATMs That Look 'Off'

maybe this isnt a big deal to most, but i would think that anyone with a fucking brain would have enough financial wisdom and when is a good time to use a debit card linked to a checking account, and when credit would be a better option.

but when they put a story like this on the front page of yahoo.com it just makes me feel like they are trying to instill FEAR in all of us, and urge us to use credit (so they can rip us off and not the "criminals").

any thoughts on this list.

MrRline2010
03-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't agree with the debit card online. I use mine because you can cancel fraudulent transactions and be reimbursed by your bank. In addition it's easier to cancel a debit card and get a new one then to get a totally brand new credit card after having fraud on the account. I do agree though it can be bad to use a debit card in a restaurant because people trying to add numbers to the tip area or change the amount charged. Again though this can be reimbursed but still not a good process.

emgee420
03-21-2010, 06:04 PM
not as big a deal as they're making it out to be
run all your debit purchases as credit so any fraud is handled quickly
if they require your pin...pay cash

MannyaK
03-21-2010, 06:07 PM
would you guys recommend getting a credit card? ive just stayed away from them

Fix.it.again.Tony
03-21-2010, 06:32 PM
get one credit card with a low limit.....$500 - $1000

and use it a little for like gas n shit and pay it off every month before the interest kicks in

that helps build your credit

Nate_AP1
03-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Agreed Teemfedx - seems like a typical media scare.

Surely there is risk whenever you give any personal information out to a business, but to NEVER use your debit card is silly.

Manny - Get a credit card, if for any reason just for emergencies (what I use mine for). Also if you are young, its a good way to build credit. Just dont have it maxed out, and be sure to pay on time.

SNOAH
03-21-2010, 06:54 PM
i like my debit card cause if i want to say its credit then i can and i just dont enter my pin but it still comes out just the same. Not really sure why yahoo is trying to say to use credit cards instead though because that could end up costing people more money. just dumb to me

super_civic
03-21-2010, 06:57 PM
If that's the case, wtf is the point of getting a debit card at all lol?
I use mine online, restraunts when I dont have cash, gas stations, ect... have never had a problem, Credit Union is on point when it comes to security.

king06
03-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Maybe, just maybe they're getting paid by the credit card companies to scare you into using credit cards to rack up your credit card?

Propaganda?

alx
03-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Funny #10 should actually be #1 shows how much sense they really have. Card skimmers are a huge problem, but an easy fix is always cover your hand with the other when you enter in your pin. They usually set up a camera to record your pin. A clone of our debit card is useless without it.

http://www.devicedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/attack-of-the-card-skimmers.png

I'd trust Amazon, Newegg, etc with my debit card info over a gas station lol

Owens
03-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I remember the first time I ever saw a skimmer, Scottsdale Mall.

95GSR
03-22-2010, 09:01 AM
If that's the case, wtf is the point of getting a debit card at all lol?
I use mine online, restraunts when I dont have cash, gas stations, ect... have never had a problem, Credit Union is on point when it comes to security.

x2 most of those top ten places are where i fuckin use my card. some people dont like payin with cash cuz they dont feel safe with it or maybe they might lose it too. just my .02

hotwheelcivic
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
They forgot strip clubs and caslnos.

91integrs
03-22-2010, 01:23 PM
If you eat at Arriba's make sure you pay cash, as they recently busted a bunch of employees stealing Credit card numbers.

I prefer to pay cash for most things. If I buy stuff online I use my Credit card or Pay Pal, which is linked to my Credit card. For large purchases I normally pay cash, making sure I receive a receipt saying paid in full.

Overall, there really isn't any thing you can do to prevent fraud from happening to you. Just make sure you keep track of your accounts and whats going in and out of your accounts.

azsigndog
03-22-2010, 06:50 PM
i watch my debit transactions every day

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN
03-22-2010, 09:07 PM
That's a list of the places I use my debit card, credit cards ftl heh

JDMitation
03-23-2010, 09:29 AM
paranoia