PDA

View Full Version : can i get fired for asking for 3 weeks off?

894ws
03-22-2010, 03:04 AM
i work at a autoparts store for two years and need to take three weeks of because i will be out of state. i am a part time employee and gave a 2 weeks notice before leaving and ive heard rumors that i wont have a job when i get back? my question is can they fire me for going for 3 weeks even though they are not payed and i gave a notice in time or is this boss just tryn to fire me

MrRline2010
03-22-2010, 03:12 AM
Depends on the store. You should look in your companies policy and procedures manual or speak with the person in charge of your check. Also maybe i'm ignorant to how this shin dig is run, but wouldn't it be smatter to ask your boss rather than azht. I mean we do buy parts, but were not your boss...

894ws
03-22-2010, 03:31 AM
my boss is a complete dumbass that knows nothing about management so no. i will check with hr in the morning tho

eviilboy
03-22-2010, 04:20 AM
Most companies have the policy that in order to ask for time off you have to ask at least a month in advance.

Even then... if you take the vacation after they don't approve it... I'd expect to not have a job... we are after-all a right to work state... and they did advise you you couldn't take the time off... so you're basically noshowing for work.. which is good enough to fire you.

Allmotorc1*86mm
03-22-2010, 05:51 AM
Did they giv eyou the 3 weeks off? Meaning did they approve it and schedule someone to cover your shift? If they approved personal leave then they cannot simply terminate you. Now thay can play the card that you will have to be rehired when coming back because you are taking a leave of absence. At that point they can tell you that the position has been filled because they needed they help and you were not availible to fill the schedule.

gunsup0331
03-22-2010, 09:11 AM
this is a right to fire state. They dont need a reason

Jason.AZ1
03-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Where do you work so I can apply when you loose your job.

Naw just playing It depends man if they want to be a dick they can let you go but if your a hard worker they will keep you

blkek4
03-22-2010, 09:22 AM
You're done... consider looking for another job... business is business... if they can't count on you then they don't need you.. 90 percent of the jobs out there will only let one fucking week and yet they still frown on that shit.. but if I were you don't ask us from azht for advice ask your boss... simple as that

Mafioso
03-22-2010, 09:37 AM

bingo! they can fire you without cause.. if one day they wake up and think.. im gonna fire someone today... they ultimately can. i mean, they dont have to announce the reason so its not like you'll ever know why you got fired.

PinkFG2_K20
03-22-2010, 09:58 AM
First of all was your time off approved? You said that you asked for the 3 weeks off 2 weeks in advance but you cant just tell your boss "hey by the way I am taking 3 weeks off". They would have to approve or deny your time. If they did not approve it then basically you are not showing up to work on your days that are scheduled and I would assume that you would not have a job when you get back. If they did approve it then you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

PENTAGRAM_OF_EVIL
03-22-2010, 11:39 AM

True true. that's just one of the things that blows in az.

894ws
03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
so i actually had to work a deal with the manager i wont be able to leave the three weeks i needed because it would be a leave of abscence and they are short staffed the guy doesnt want to loose me because i never call in and am real responsible on the job. i could only take 19 days off wich i should be back by then. even then he was really unhappy but he has to have people cover from other stores. if i took the 3 weeks he would have to hire someone else and when i came back i would be a part time employee again so i cant have that id just cut it back a few days and keep my job

civic_ls_vtec
03-22-2010, 03:14 PM
they shouldnt bro, maybe if u are a bad worker than this would be an excuse for them to fire you

slowmedown
03-22-2010, 03:45 PM
bottom line if its not approved and you go they could fire you

Method520
03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
iv very well got caught in that situation before. if i decided to take 3 weeks off at my job, i would be jobless after even just asking

MannyaK
03-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Where do you work so I can apply when you loose your job.

Naw just playing It depends man if they want to be a dick they can let you go but if your a hard worker they will keep you
haha fucking great

eviilboy
03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
bingo! they can fire you without cause.. if one day they wake up and think.. im gonna fire someone today... they ultimately can. i mean, they dont have to announce the reason so its not like you'll ever know why you got fired.

Actually if they have a handbook they enforce... not so much.

I didn't learn that until I talked to the HR department person at my current employer.

ekhatch
03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
i think it just depends just talk to the guy and ask

imm0rtal
03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Since AZ is a right-to-work state, you have the right to obtain employment and an employer has the right to terminate your employment for any reasonable reason. If the employer feels for some reason that they should terminate you for missing so much work or putting them in the spot where they have to replace you for an extended period, then they can fire you.

just ask for a leave of absence.

Fix.it.again.Tony
03-22-2010, 05:56 PM
3 weeks off? jesus are you having surgery? lol

jdmrex1
03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Do you work at Autozone?
I worked there and my boss was pretty chill with us employees.
I remember one of my co-workers came in hung the fuck over, like he was drunk still and this dumb ass passed out in the rest room. The manager just told him to go home and come back tomorrow.
He gave us a shit load of breaks. I was no call no show for 4 days and I still had my job. I got shitted on bad but I still had a job lol.

azsigndog
03-22-2010, 06:41 PM
its all on the hr department and what the rules are for the company

Crazy88
03-22-2010, 09:17 PM
First of all was your time off approved? You said that you asked for the 3 weeks off 2 weeks in advance but you cant just tell your boss "hey by the way I am taking 3 weeks off". They would have to approve or deny your time. If they did not approve it then basically you are not showing up to work on your days that are scheduled and I would assume that you would not have a job when you get back. If they did approve it then you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

Bingo!

/ thread

locash
03-22-2010, 10:26 PM
My boss lets me take off all the time I want, I don't even need to call in.

My customers get mad though..

gunsup0331
03-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Do you work at Autozone?
I worked there and my boss was pretty chill with us employees.
I remember one of my co-workers came in hung the fuck over, like he was drunk still and this dumb ass passed out in the rest room. The manager just told him to go home and come back tomorrow.
He gave us a shit load of breaks. I was no call no show for 4 days and I still had my job. I got shitted on bad but I still had a job lol.
wowzerz. And then you watch a stand-up guy who is not a retarded piece of shit goes in there and is told they are "well-staffed" and not hiring.

894ws
03-23-2010, 12:30 AM
/\/\ dude not all autozones are staffed they just dont hire you because the manager is an ass hole ive seen so many people come in to ask for an interview and all the managers tell them is theyre on file for 90 days. i feel bad telling people that because they seem like people that would uplift the company. and being a red shirt sucks at the zone you are like the bottom of the chain and you know wich way shit rolls

bb4arson
03-23-2010, 07:52 AM
My boss lets me take off all the time I want, I don't even need to call in.

My customers get mad though..

yup and sometimes your not even open by 12 pm like its says on your website :wave1:

and lol yah people want to get tuned !:bigsmile: so they wont run:superghey:but when you work your magic the cars:drive:better

hondachick928
03-23-2010, 12:50 PM
more than likely

*inFamous*
03-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Unless they approve of your time off, you can lose your job. Its considered job abandonment. All they have to do is schedule for shifts while your gone and your boned.