PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here familiar with Newer Audi/BMW's

MrRline2010
03-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Just wondering if anybody is familiar with any of the newer audi or bmw models. Had a few questions if you are.

Specifically about the 2009-2010 bmw 328i sedans rwd, the a3, and a4 models including advants.

ICD
03-29-2010, 11:17 PM
What's your questions I got 5 of each in my garage.

MrRline2010
03-29-2010, 11:22 PM
I just wanna know a little bit about the maintenance cost for the vehicle and upkeep. I've heard all 3 are maintenance intensive cars and I wanted to know what things need to be looked at regularly. Also with the a3 and the a4 I have heard about a carbon buildup problem on the valves from the the way the fuel is sprayed. I was wondering if someone could elaborate a little bit on this. I also would like to know about reliability. I don't expect it to be as reliable as my honda, but im wondering what the average life span of these cars are. If anybody is familiar or works on any of these regularly please hit me up I need some insight on my purchase.

BlownspeakerBoX
03-29-2010, 11:26 PM
for the price tag I'd expect a 2010 bmw to be as reliable as a honda civic

MrRline2010
03-29-2010, 11:47 PM
for the price tag I'd expect a 2010 bmw to be as reliable as a honda civic

Well I would expect for the price range too that it would be as good as a civic but that's not always the case. That's why I wanna talk to someone who knows some of the problems they have, cost to maintain and so on. So my search goes on.

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 12:00 AM
bmw ultimate service maintenance? 50k miles or 4 years?
and the a3 and a4's have basically the same engine that is in my gli
mine is at 76k miles and no problems so far
read up on the cam follower "issues" and the revised diverter valves
it seems like the main thing with the tsi/fsi engines are the PCV fix and to occasionally inspect your cam follower
id give a thumbs up though for the a3 or a4
you can spend 450$ on apr or revo stage 1 software and get an increase of around 70 hp and 90 ft/lbs
p.s. dont let the things i mentioned scare you away. also oil changes are around 50$ and brake pads are 60-100$ which arent too bad
pm me if you have more questions

MrRline2010
03-30-2010, 12:25 AM
pm'd you jakellama still looking for info's!

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 12:53 AM
pm'd you jakellama still looking for info's!

i seriously typed a novel twice as long as the one i ended up sending then "internet explorer" decided not to respond and to force close
p.s. i only like the 328 for its taillights for some reason
look 500x better than the earlier models

bumpstick
03-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Just wondering if anybody is familiar with any of the newer audi or bmw models. Had a few questions if you are.

Specifically about the 2009-2010 bmw 328i sedans rwd, the a3, and a4 models including advants.

It's Avant, not Advant. IMO, for ~5 years or ~60,000 miles, any of those cars will cost as much to maintain as any Honda out there. After you hit a certain point though, the cost of ownership goes through the roof. If you have the money to own/operate one, it's not a big deal. If you're on a Civic budget, save some cash for repairs, because you will need it. This is exactly the same reason that you can find B5 S4's for cheap, along with early and late model Countach's. They are cheap to buy because nobody wants to pay the repair bills to keep them running.

MrRline2010
03-30-2010, 01:18 AM
i seriously typed a novel twice as long as the one i ended up sending then "internet explorer" decided not to respond and to force close
p.s. i only like the 328 for its taillights for some reason
look 500x better than the earlier models

I like the beamer I just don't like the add up cost of all the extras on the car. I can take a 33k car and end up with about a 45k car with just a few. Although I hear they are much funner to drive compared to the audi's.

It's Avant, not Advant. IMO, for ~5 years or ~60,000 miles, any of those cars will cost as much to maintain as any Honda out there. After you hit a certain point though, the cost of ownership goes through the roof. If you have the money to own/operate one, it's not a big deal. If you're on a Civic budget, save some cash for repairs, because you will need it. This is exactly the same reason that you can find B5 S4's for cheap, along with early and late model Countach's. They are cheap to buy because nobody wants to pay the repair bills to keep them running.

Whoops sorry for my spelling error. on the avant.Thanks for the info on this. Do you know though if the higher mileage newer cars have some of the same problems the b5's are around year 2000 aren't' they? I planned on getting a extended warranty on it to help cover cost. I just wanna make sure every time I take it in i'm not looking at getting ripped for 1000-2000 bucks or something. After pricing just an oil change from Mercedes at 300 bucks I wondered how much over inflated the prices are for audi and bmw.

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 01:23 AM
I like the beamer I just don't like the add up cost of all the extras on the car. I can take a 33k car and end up with about a 45k car with just a few. Although I hear they are much funner to drive compared to the audi's.

Whoops sorry for my spelling error. on the avant.Thanks for the info on this. Do you know though if the higher mileage newer cars have some of the same problems the b5's are around year 2000 aren't' they? I planned on getting a extended warranty on it to help cover cost. I just wanna make sure every time I take it in i'm not looking at getting ripped for 1000-2000 bucks or something. After pricing just an oil change from Mercedes at 300 bucks I wondered how much over inflated the prices are for audi and bmw.

just get stage 1 for 450$ and the audi will be more fun to drive
and like i said everything can be had for cheaper if you shop around
idk what a dealer would charge for my oil changes but the shop i recommended to you charges 55$

bumpstick
03-30-2010, 02:15 AM
That's the thing with European cars, and to be fair, newer Japanese cars too. You can save money by DIY'ing maintenance, but in many cases, if you fail to follow factory guidelines for maintenance, you lose warranty coverage by refusing factory service. An extended warranty, or any warranty for that matter, does not mean you have to pay nothing (or less) for oil/filter changes or normal wear and tear parts like brakes and such. If VAG charges $100 for an oil change, and keeping your warranty means changing oil every 5,000 miles, then sorry for you, but you are going to be out $100 every 5,000 miles. IMO, if I were to buy ANOTHER VAG car, I would get a B5 S4 on the cheap and rebuild parts that break, just like Honda owners replace parts that aren't broken:)

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 02:22 AM
That's the thing with European cars, and to be fair, newer Japanese cars too. You can save money by DIY'ing maintenance, but in many cases, if you fail to follow factory guidelines for maintenance, you lose warranty coverage by refusing factory service. An extended warranty, or any warranty for that matter, does not mean you have to pay nothing (or less) for oil/filter changes or normal wear and tear parts like brakes and such. If VAG charges $100 for an oil change, and keeping your warranty means changing oil every 3,000 miles, then sorry for you, but you are going to be out $100 every 3,000 miles. IMO, if I were to buy ANOTHER VAG car, I would get a B5 S4 on the cheap and rebuild parts that break, just like Honda owners replace parts that aren't broken:)

oil is supposed to be changed every 5k miles since its fully synthetic
but the FSI's seem to burn alot of oil so i check mine frequently

bumpstick
03-30-2010, 02:31 AM
oil is supposed to be changed every 5k miles since its fully synthetic
Fixed.
The point was, whatever (Insert your dealer here) Audi charges for an oil change every 5,000 miles > what I pay to change my own oil every 3,000. Plus, I use the oil I want, know it's done right, get to look at the actual oil that leaves my crankcase, and don't have to worry about any warranty that may or may not cover what may or may not break because of what may or may not be the result of oil changes every 5,000 miles.

MrRline2010
03-30-2010, 02:35 AM
Fixed.
The point was, whatever (Insert your dealer here) Audi charges for an oil change every 5,000 miles > what I pay to change my own oil every 3,000. Plus, I use the oil I want, know it's done right, get to look at the actual oil that leaves my crankcase, and don't have to worry about any warranty that may or may not cover what may or may not break because of what may or may not be the result of oil changes every 5,000 miles.

I would be fine doing my own oil changes i'm comfortable with that it's just the more labor intensive stuff that i'm not as comfortable with like a cv boot and things of that nature. I only want to get an extended on the encase something big goes out or to fix the little sensors and shit that end up costing like 200 bucks a piece.

bumpstick
03-30-2010, 02:50 AM
I would be fine doing my own oil changes i'm comfortable with that it's just the more labor intensive stuff that i'm not as comfortable with like a cv boot and things of that nature.
Well, what you want to do and what the dealership will make you do are two separate things. Especially with BMW, who offers free Ultimate Service (which is good for 4 years and only covers a limited amount of repairs/service) or Audi (that charges extra for an Audi Care Plan, that isn;t any better, or worse, then BMW's plan).
Like I said, if you plan to own the car for 4, 5, even 6 years, it's a definite hit. But, and this is not just opinion, repair and maintenance is WAY more then comparable brands, like Toyota and Honda. I'm not saying not to do it, just plan on owning it until the warranty is up, then selling or trading in for a newer model. I'm a little biased though, having owned an Audi, that was EXPENSIVE to fix, and a Honda, that I can buy or trade parts for on the cheap, on AZHT and other similar forums.
If it was me and I had the money, and I REALLY wanted a new Audi or BMW, I would lease, for 2 years. At the end of my lease, I would simply transfer my lease to a newer model. I would continue to do this until I was sick of owning a European car. Crunch the numbers but IMO, a lease is a much better buy, especially if you only plan on owning the car for so long.

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 02:52 AM
Fixed.
oh i agree with you
some dealers require you get your oil changed by them
but some allow you to get them changed at a licensed shop
if you can just go to a licensed shop then he could take it to volkswerks or another vw shop near him where he can check everything out as they do it
I would be fine doing my own oil changes i'm comfortable with that it's just the more labor intensive stuff that i'm not as comfortable with like a cv boot and things of that nature. I only want to get an extended on the encase something big goes out or to fix the little sensors and shit that end up costing like 200 bucks a piece.

bumpstick was saying if u want a warranty most dealers insist u get the maintenance done by them

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 02:54 AM
Well, what you want to do and what the dealership will make you do are two separate things. Especially with BMW, who offers free Ultimate Service (which is good for 4 years and only covers a limited amount of repairs/service) or Audi (that charges extra for an Audi Care Plan, that isn;t any better, or worse, then BMW's plan).
Like I said, if you plan to own the car for 4, 5, even 6 years, it's a definite hit. But, and this is not just opinion, repair and maintenance is WAY more then comparable brands, like Toyota and Honda. I'm not saying not to do it, just plan on owning it until the warranty is up, then selling or trading in for a newer model. I'm a little biased though, having owned an Audi, that was EXPENSIVE to fix, and a Honda, that I can buy or trade parts for on the cheap, on AZHT and other similar forums.
If it was me and I had the money, and I REALLY wanted a new Audi or BMW, I would lease, for 2 years. At the end of my lease, I would simply transfer my lease to a newer model. I would continue to do this until I was sick of owning a European car. Crunch the numbers but IMO, a lease is a much better buy, especially if you only plan on owning the car for so long.

i have a warranty til 89k miles and thats when i planned on getting rid of my car to get an a3
i figure i will be bored of my car by that time and can transfer some parts over to the a3 since im keeping stock parts

MrRline2010
03-30-2010, 03:05 AM

I plan on keeping the car atleast the next 7 years. That's why i'm trying to find something that fits me now and later basically not something ill like for 2 years and then say man I need a bigger car or whatever. I know audi has the care plan that they try to include in the vehicle or atleast that's what I was told at north scottsdale when i went looking a weekend or so ago. As far as getting the maintenance there to keep the warranty i will definitely have to inquire about that before I think of purchasing. I would think about a lease, but being bound to a certain amount of miles per year imo really isn't worth. I know a couple years back I put about 25k miles on my civic within one year. If I decided to take a job across town too it wouldn't be worth it for me on a lease as well. I just don't wanna put myself into that position. Like I said in the end as long as it's not gonna cost 1-2 grand every time I take the sucker in I think it's worth it.

bumpstick
03-30-2010, 03:06 AM
i have a warranty til 89k miles and thats when i planned on getting rid of my car to get an a3
i figure i will be bored of my car by that time and can transfer some parts over to the a3 since im keeping stock parts
Well if you're not a baller and you know you're gonna want to mod the car, IMO just lease it. Maintenance is covered, insurance rates don't go through the roof, and all you have to do is return the car as stock as you found it.
If you're an OG car guy who wants a BMW or Audi, no matter what, just buy it and expect that in 5-6 years it'll be just like your Honda, in that you're dumping $$$$$$ in to it, to make it what you really want. Or if you're like me, you like older BMW's and Audi's and you'll find one on the cheap and spend $$$$$$ making it like you want it (just like anybody that builds a Honda, pretty much from 2000 down, considering a 2000 Si is already a decade old and a 1993 Si is SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD!) Lol, I'm not trying to persuade you not to get a European car, just don;t BUY one, IMO. Lease a new one or buy an older one. But IMO if you buy one, and plan on keeping it for 7 years, expect the years out of warranty (years 6 and 7) to be costly. Will it be a lot? Will it be a little? I really can't say, but I will tell you that small Audi/BMW issues can cost as much as BIG Honda issues. But then again, it's only gonna be an extra year or two out of warranty, so maybe you'll be lucky and have NO problems at all.

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 03:06 AM
Jake doesnt know anything about vw or audi etc.. he drives a ford

jason... SHUT THE FUCK UP! lol
you were too pussy to get a vw or audi and got a dodge lol

MrRline2010
03-30-2010, 03:08 AM
jason... SHUT THE FUCK UP! lol
you were too pussy to get a vw or audi and got a dodge lol

oh that one is definitely a burn

MrRline2010
03-30-2010, 03:08 AM
oh baby

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/dj_cronic_metal/a4.jpg

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 03:10 AM
if you plan on keeping it for a while buy it with 10-20k miles. keep til 80-90k then sell it
http://i41.tinypic.com/xms7s3.jpg

MrRline2010
03-30-2010, 03:11 AM
if you plan on keeping it for a while buy it with 10-20k miles. keep til 80-90k then sell it
http://i41.tinypic.com/xms7s3.jpg

I've considered that too since they drop considerably after the first and second year.

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 03:14 AM
I've considered that too since they drop considerably after the first and second year.
every car drops in price after a year
but if you buy a gli for example with 20k miles now it will be around 18k
if u sell it in 4 years with 80k miles you should still be able to get 9-10k

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 03:14 AM
I wanted something fast so I got a dodge cant fuck with the HEMI BOY!

well in that case i hope your paisa neon blows up :)

MrRline2010
03-30-2010, 03:16 AM
every car drops in price after a year
but if you buy a gli for example with 20k miles now it will be around 18k
if u sell it in 4 years with 80k miles you should still be able to get 9-10k

Your in luck for your a3 you can usually find those around 20k with 20k miles and their 08 models. From what what i've seen.

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Your in luck for your a3 you can usually find those around 20k with 20k miles and their 08 models. From what what i've seen.

yeah we will see
damn i looked on vortex and there are only 3-5 glis for sale out of like 50 cars on there
and only 2 or 3 for sale on LA craigslist and like 2 on phx craigslist
i got so lucky to find a black, 6spd, interlagos interior, no rear spoiler

ICD
03-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Bumpstick hitting you with the knowledge. Aswell I would never own/purchase a European car only lease.

Jstarda9
03-30-2010, 11:57 AM
All I have to say is that I tried to sell my M3 every day once I hit 89,000 miles. I did not want to hit the 100,000 mile marker because I knew if anything messed up I would be fucked! I love BMW's and Audi's but the cost to maintain them is horrible. I would buy one again maybe in the future when I have some money to blow if something messes up. I had to get a thermostat and a few hoses replaced on the 04 M3 and it was $870. If I didn't have warranty I would kill myself. These cars have little problems all the time that will add up. Trust me I have a few buddies with A4's 325's M3's and 335's. They all love their cars but they will tell you right away that they hate the little things that fuck up with them.

If anything I would lease one that way you can trade it in once it fucks up haha.

MrRline2010
03-30-2010, 01:11 PM
All I have to say is that I tried to sell my M3 every day once I hit 89,000 miles. I did not want to hit the 100,000 mile marker because I knew if anything messed up I would be fucked! I love BMW's and Audi's but the cost to maintain them is horrible. I would buy one again maybe in the future when I have some money to blow if something messes up. I had to get a thermostat and a few hoses replaced on the 04 M3 and it was $870. If I didn't have warranty I would kill myself. These cars have little problems all the time that will add up. Trust me I have a few buddies with A4's 325's M3's and 335's. They all love their cars but they will tell you right away that they hate the little things that fuck up with them.

If anything I would lease one that way you can trade it in once it fucks up haha.

Pm'd you please inform me more on these type of issues that come up. I'm trying to gauge overall cost. I know things break on car's I just need a better idea of how much each time ill end up out of pocket.

jakellama123
03-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Pm'd you please inform me more on these type of issues that come up. I'm trying to gauge overall cost. I know things break on car's I just need a better idea of how much each time ill end up out of pocket.

from everything ive seen m3s seem much more expensive to maintain in every aspect
front the inspections to oil changes to changing off the differential fluid
but like i said if a fuel pump goes out you can go pay 700$ at dealership or get a 100$ lightly used on off vortex and diy
and cronic invest in a set of torx sockets