PDA

View Full Version : Any fellow computer nerds wanna lend a hand..

Fix.it.again.Tony
03-31-2010, 07:36 PM
This is gonna be long:

I am having a lag issue with my system.
The type of lagging is short periods of max processor load and sometimes hanging.

My system:

--750w Voltage Supply
--3 fans
--Windows 7 x64
--AMD Athlon 2.8 gHz Quad Core Processor
--Foxconn A79A-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
--ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/1G Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Vidcard
--8gb ddr3 RAM
--1.5TB 7200RPM HDD (Operating System)
--1 TB 7200RPM HDD (Mp3/Video Storage)
Dual Monitors
--Samsung 26" 1080p LCD (1600x1200)
--Viewsonic 22" LCD (1280x1024)

Typical Software open:

--Mozilla Firefox w/ 3-4 tabs
--Yahoo, AIM, MyspaceIM
--Winamp
--AVG Antivirus
--Lavasoft Adaware
--------------------------------------------------

Reloading a window in firefox causes lag, changing songs on winamp lags, loading even small videos lag.

Troubleshooting Progress:

-Reformat
-Close and opened all apps to narrow down cause of lag
-Uninstalled/reinstalled vdeo players / codecs
-uninstalled/reinstalled java/flash
-reinstalled IE, FF, AVG
-Turned off Indexing on HDs
-Turned off cache in firefox
-reinstalled videocard drivers

So pretty much I am at a loss. Out of ideas, posted on multiple threads. I almost am to the point of building another machine since this one is 3 years old almost.

Any reasonable suggestions would be nice :)

Medina
03-31-2010, 07:48 PM
take it to zKMFDMz he will fix it up for you, wait what?

KrazyHondaChick
03-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Try clearin your cache and cookie, flushin your DNS, system defrag, uninstallin shit you don't need, ie: toolbars or programs. Might help. And maybe add more RAM.

The Punisher
03-31-2010, 07:50 PM
i hear plastic melts GOOD!

Fix.it.again.Tony
03-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Try clearin your cache and cookie,Did that when I reinstalled browsers. flushin your DNS, --has nothing to do with processor lag system defrag, done before and after reformat uninstallin shit you don't need, reformat ie: toolbars or programs. Might help. And maybe add more RAM. 8gb of ddr3

I appreciate your input but I don't know if you read my troubleshooting history

KrazyHondaChick
03-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Maybe that's why it's good I'm in programming and not in entry level tech support.

r1ce
03-31-2010, 10:25 PM
what O/S was on prior to windows 7, and the mobo isnt ddr3 i thought

but edit, just read you reformatted, was it completely reformatted like low-level , and all drives?

mj213
03-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Are you watching task mgr? See what's taking up more resources when the slow down occurs. Disable resident shield in AVG. Seems to be a common problem like you are having.

Fix.it.again.Tony
04-01-2010, 06:53 AM
what O/S was on prior to windows 7, and the mobo isnt ddr3 i thought

but edit, just read you reformatted, was it completely reformatted like low-level , and all drives?

the mobo isn't the best I know, but it was compatible with the processor. I'll be taking it all apart and dusting and cleaning it today. My 1.5tb drive only has 10gb being used so a low-level format wouldn't be necessary. And this hdd is new so Win7 is all it has known.

Are you watching task mgr? See what's taking up more resources when the slow down occurs. Disable resident shield in AVG. Seems to be a common problem like you are having.

firefox peaks at 250mb usage sometimes with 5-6 tabs open...nothing else really came close. BUT sometimes one of the SVCHOST.EXE would be up to 100mb as well...and those things aren't very specific.

You would thing 8gb of RAM would be beastly but its not apparently..

I'll try the avg thing. I also uninstalled and reinstalled my HD Audio drivers and that seemed to help a little.

parahelium
04-01-2010, 09:24 AM
when your system is max at 100% CPU, try task manager to see what process is taking all the CPU and go from there. I rough guess might be your AV program doing it.

ekhatch
04-01-2010, 10:42 AM
i suck at fixing computers haha so i dont know how you would fix it sorry

Mafioso
04-01-2010, 11:26 AM
the mobo isn't the best I know, but it was compatible with the processor. I'll be taking it all apart and dusting and cleaning it today. My 1.5tb drive only has 10gb being used so a low-level format wouldn't be necessary. And this hdd is new so Win7 is all it has known.

firefox peaks at 250mb usage sometimes with 5-6 tabs open...nothing else really came close. BUT sometimes one of the SVCHOST.EXE would be up to 100mb as well...and those things aren't very specific.

You would thing 8gb of RAM would be beastly but its not apparently..

I'll try the avg thing. I also uninstalled and reinstalled my HD Audio drivers and that seemed to help a little.

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/

Lots of tech savvy dudes over there. I have been out of the computer hardware game for a LONG time so I'm not sure. Only things I can think of would be transfer speeds, ie. eSATA.. etc. for your harddrives.. and the CAS latency of your RAM..

Fix.it.again.Tony
04-01-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/

Lots of tech savvy dudes over there. I have been out of the computer hardware game for a LONG time so I'm not sure. Only things I can think of would be transfer speeds, ie. eSATA.. etc. for your harddrives.. and the CAS latency of your RAM..

yea I tried playing video and mp3 files from both HDs and the transfer speed wasn't an issue as far as i can see.

my connections are sata2 i believe and the ram is pretty new too.

imm0rtal
04-01-2010, 11:38 AM
i noticed facebook lagging firefox really bad when using the chat feature so I tried Google Chrome. Works much better, and the lag I was experiencing when using web2.0 apps like facebook chat/myspaceIM is gone completely. It might be worth a shot :)

Fix.it.again.Tony
04-01-2010, 12:00 PM
i noticed facebook lagging firefox really bad when using the chat feature so I tried Google Chrome. Works much better, and the lag I was experiencing when using web2.0 apps like facebook chat/myspaceIM is gone completely. It might be worth a shot :)

google chrome does not have ad and frame blocking capabilities yet. As far as I have read.
That's why I like firefox,

imm0rtal
04-01-2010, 10:41 PM
google chrome does not have ad and frame blocking capabilities yet. As far as I have read.
That's why I like firefox,i haven't really gotten any ads to speak of so far using chrome. Not sure if my firewall has something to do with that lol

VTECin5th
04-02-2010, 05:48 AM
My computer lags now.. but didn't used to. Mine is from "untrue" video support. My gfx chipset is windows7 capable, and has a dedicated windows7 driver, but I still have several gfx issues causing me lag.

One thing I was able to do is go into the themes and change it to one of the less intensive "high contrast" themes. It will be hard to adjust but see if it's still causing a problem. I couldn't stand the look so I switched back to the OG win7 theme. I manually adjust the programs that give me problems, using the nvidia control panel.

PS: If you're on myspace, this is going to sound stupid as fuck but manually go poke into your temp files. I found a nice lil guy hanging out in there. (random_7-8_numbers/letters.exe) I've actually picked it up 3 times in the last 2 months from "myspace pics" scrolling. I use AVG and MBytes regularly but tried 2 others and none of them found it at all. The strange part was the first infection was completely obvious, with pop-ups and all. The 2nd did not show up but was lagging me HEAVILY. The 3rd time I could not delete it but it was same as the 2nd.

Firefox has let me down in the last 2 years compared to the first few I used it. I used to feel more safe. Now it's like IE was in 2004. I wish I liked google chrome.

eviilboy
04-02-2010, 06:37 AM
My computer lags now.. but didn't used to. Mine is from "untrue" video support. My gfx chipset is windows7 capable, and has a dedicated windows7 driver, but I still have several gfx issues causing me lag.

One thing I was able to do is go into the themes and change it to one of the less intensive "high contrast" themes. It will be hard to adjust but see if it's still causing a problem. I couldn't stand the look so I switched back to the OG win7 theme. I manually adjust the programs that give me problems, using the nvidia control panel.

PS: If you're on myspace, this is going to sound stupid as fuck but manually go poke into your temp files. I found a nice lil guy hanging out in there. (random_7-8_numbers/letters.exe) I've actually picked it up 3 times in the last 2 months from "myspace pics" scrolling. I use AVG and MBytes regularly but tried 2 others and none of them found it at all. The strange part was the first infection was completely obvious, with pop-ups and all. The 2nd did not show up but was lagging me HEAVILY. The 3rd time I could not delete it but it was same as the 2nd.

Firefox has let me down in the last 2 years compared to the first few I used it. I used to feel more safe. Now it's like IE was in 2004. I wish I liked google chrome.

They've recently pushed two MAJOR updates out.. that address vulnerabilities.

alx
04-02-2010, 07:07 AM
if you use firefox you need to completely shut it down from time to time. processes get stuck even if you close the tab associated with it.

That's why I like firefox,

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

die in a dick fire noob
04-02-2010, 07:31 AM
this sounds more like a bad sector on a hard drive than anything else to me but you said you tried it from both hdd's...

there's absolutely no reason you should have any kind of lag for that type of work on your pc, i can have utorrent open downloading, firefox open, windows media player open and have battle field bad company 2 alt+tabbed while doing all of this and my cpu usage is at maybe 40% with a 5000+ amd dual core and only 2gbs of ram.

i know that when i used to run programs like adaware all the time i WOULD have an occasional hiccup as it sounds like your describing. There's really no reason your processor should ever reach 100% with the type of computing you're describing. Only when i open BC2 does my processor spike that high... i also don't keep an antivirus running on my computer i know that both of those programs are going to be labor intensive. i also don't run windows 7 though so i don't really have a direct comparison for you. xp64 bit has done fine for me for years with my 64bit processor.

Fix.it.again.Tony
04-02-2010, 11:24 AM
this sounds more like a bad sector on a hard drive than anything else to me but you said you tried it from both hdd's...

there's absolutely no reason you should have any kind of lag for that type of work on your pc, i can have utorrent open downloading, firefox open, windows media player open and have battle field bad company 2 alt+tabbed while doing all of this and my cpu usage is at maybe 40% with a 5000+ amd dual core and only 2gbs of ram.

i know that when i used to run programs like adaware all the time i WOULD have an occasional hiccup as it sounds like your describing. There's really no reason your processor should ever reach 100% with the type of computing you're describing. Only when i open BC2 does my processor spike that high... i also don't keep an antivirus running on my computer i know that both of those programs are going to be labor intensive. i also don't run windows 7 though so i don't really have a direct comparison for you. xp64 bit has done fine for me for years with my 64bit processor.

Well I updated FF

I took apart my tower and cleaned it.

I updated my video and audio drivers

I dont leave AVG and Adaware open, they just are in my systray

I ran HDtune and everything looks normal in the benchmarks.

I did read about firefox eating memory over time. It runs up to 300+mb sometimes and i restart it and it drops to 120-150.

chinabean
04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
close these :
--AVG Antivirus
--Lavasoft Adaware

via control+alt+delete

and use task manager to close and view what processes are running that is lagging up your computer.

Myspace IM is consistently laggy IMOPE, so that's a biabia.

Fix.it.again.Tony
04-02-2010, 01:00 PM
close these :
--AVG Antivirus
--Lavasoft Adaware

via control+alt+delete

and use task manager to close and view what processes are running that is lagging up your computer.

Myspace IM is consistently laggy IMOPE, so that's a biabia.

LOL What I meant was in my systray.

I uninstalled adaware anyway

I updated my bios, went through and deleted some crap, cleaned up my registry. and defragged both drives again..

Now just gotta wait and see..

chinabean
04-02-2010, 01:05 PM
aite lol goodluck! If i saw your computer I could probably fix it or do something in person but idk lol

Fix.it.again.Tony
04-02-2010, 01:15 PM
aite lol goodluck! If i saw your computer I could probably fix it or do something in person but idk lol

i doubt its hardware related, it just may be time to build a new machine

prissy
04-02-2010, 01:37 PM
have you tried to uninstall programs that you have no need for? doing that can sometimes help free some memory so it doesnt lag as much

[/quote]i doubt its hardware related, it just may be time to build a new machine

you never know there could be something wrong with the software too..you should have someone take a look at your computer though,they might find what causing your computer to lag

Fix.it.again.Tony
04-02-2010, 01:48 PM
have you tried to uninstall programs that you have no need for? doing that can sometimes help free some memory so it doesnt lag as much

i doubt its hardware related, it just may be time to build a new machine

you never know there could be something wrong with the software too..you should have someone take a look at your computer though,they might find what causing your computer to lag[/quote]

I reformatted, and have closed out each program running in taskmanager to try and isolate it. I think maybe a combination of some progs may be the cause.

I appreciate your input but there is no way I am paying someone monies per hour to trouble shoot something like this.

All the cores in my processor are fine, there were no bad sectors on my hdds, there were no bad grounds or loose connections in the chassis.

My video card is powerful enough to support dual monitors, my power supply can support all my hardware.

UGH:dumbass: this is a good challenge i guess

prissy
04-02-2010, 02:24 PM
I appreciate your input but there is no way I am paying someone monies per hour to trouble shoot something like this.

yea it you take it to geek squad or frys electronics.. if you look on craigslist youll find ppl that advertise to help with computer or PC problems :upyours:

Fix.it.again.Tony
04-02-2010, 02:30 PM
yea it you take it to geek squad or frys electronics.. if you look on craigslist youll find ppl that advertise to help with computer or PC problems :upyours:

craigslist? that's a little more than I would be comfortable doing..

Jermo537
04-03-2010, 05:00 PM
it definitely could be hardware related, you never know...
since u've done so much within within windows i would check the RAM and hard drive
test the RAM by going here http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
my friends computer ran decent but blue screened all the time for no reason...tested the RAM and found out a bank on the mobo was bad...switched it to a different slot that was good and now his computer SMOKES with no BSOD's
also try to test the hard drive and make sure it isnt failing

all in all its probably windows and not sure if u have reinstalled windows yet but i do that once a year...im sure u do the same

mj213
04-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Did you disable resident shield in avg yet?

90dahatch
04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Hammer

Fix.it.again.Tony
04-04-2010, 01:05 AM
it definitely could be hardware related, you never know...
since u've done so much within within windows i would check the RAM and hard drive
test the RAM by going here http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
my friends computer ran decent but blue screened all the time for no reason...tested the RAM and found out a bank on the mobo was bad...switched it to a different slot that was good and now his computer SMOKES with no BSOD's
also try to test the hard drive and make sure it isnt failing

all in all its probably windows and not sure if u have reinstalled windows yet but i do that once a year...im sure u do the same

ill test the ram, the hdds passed just fine i was advised a while ago to try them..

b20what
04-10-2010, 01:18 AM
figure it out yet? lmk

KrenzyRyan
04-10-2010, 11:59 AM
What brands are your HDD's btw?

Hopeless EP3
04-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Please run HijackThis and post your results. This will help me determine your problems and if there are any background programs slowing you down.

KrenzyRyan
04-10-2010, 11:00 PM
^ Dont listen to him

Fix.it.again.Tony
04-11-2010, 01:30 AM
there isnt any background progs its a fresh install

I think I eliminated the issue though