PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to paint car on my driveway?

ED6BOY
04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
i got primer to paint and was going to paint the hatch this week end. is it illegal here on phx to paint my car on my drive way?

anyone knows? or where can i call to ask? i research but couldnt find nothing.

MannyaK
04-01-2010, 09:14 PM
na its not illegal as long as its in your property
didnt get too into it but i found this
http://phoenix.gov/CITYGOV/lawrgidx.html

also found this
Automotive paints contain VOC's (volitile organic compounds) and these elements can/are poisonus and deadly to humans, they can make you really sick or worse kill. Auto body places are mandated by some dort of law - that they must use a spray booth to try to catch any "mist" that does not go onto the vehicle, they may even be mandated to be downdraft or updraft ony [but dont quote me on that as I've been out of that sector for many years now] and the filters catch all the mist that leaves the booth.

Yes HVLP and even LPLV guns/kits place most of the paint on the car but some will allways escape. Painting a car outside is not prefered because all sorts of crap will land on the paint while yer painting it and while its drying/cureing and make a fukken mess of shit. If yer spraying primer only, then you could try to sand that shit out and reapply some more primer, but I highly recommend against spraying finnishing coats outside. A garage is better but you should also have a fresh air supply for yourself or suffer any future health consequences. Even in pro paint boots you get shite landing on the paint.

The other thing is lighting, you do not want to paint in direct sunlight (for various reasons), and if yer in a garage I recomend getting a bunch of lighting put up

Anything other than a booth thats well lit and yer looking at a sloppy paint job, one you'll prolly hate, then you'll need to sand that shite off and start again. Unless you dont care about the paint quality

If the EPA does find out about it, you could be in for a hefty big azz fine, I know dumping paint (any kind) carrys something like a 5million dollar fine (usually reserved for corps).

I wouldnt chance it for so many reasons.

Get a buddy's garage and hope for the best, or you might be able to find a place that'll rent you a booth, but for a couple bux more a pro could paint it for you and take the health risks and paint finsih responsibilities

on this website
http://www.gtcars.ca/online/car-care-detailing-paint-visual-mods/40745-illegal-spray-paint-outside.html

ED6BOY
04-01-2010, 09:19 PM
^^^^^thanks will look into this ^^^^

Medina
04-01-2010, 09:24 PM
coming from Manny I think we need a second answer to this question :P

ED6BOY
04-01-2010, 09:25 PM
lol dam that was fast

fRoSt
04-01-2010, 09:29 PM
i did my hood on my driveway. did bumpers and other plastic stuff in the back yard. didnt ask anyone either.

jdmrex1
04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Dam I thought you needed an illegal to paint your car!
I was barely gonna offer my services lol!!

bb4arson
04-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Dam I thought you needed an illegal to paint your car!
I was barely gonna offer my services lol!!

bhaahahahahaha good one:rofl:

vmn12112
04-03-2010, 09:12 AM
you can do it. As long as u dont get called in by ur neighbors. I primered the whole car in my backyard.

alx
04-03-2010, 11:06 AM
id say go for it, know this though. if you get overspray on a neighbors car they will kick the shit out of you.

crx88
04-03-2010, 11:09 AM
its not illegal if the paint isnt toxic. llike those professional paints/mixtures. if its spraycan, you can. ive used to do it in my drive way all the time in phx. lol. and with rustoleum on my back yard. go for it!

vtec4dr
04-04-2010, 11:30 AM
No and Yes it is illegal.

Personal experience.

Was painting my brothers old K5 blazer in the garage. We taped everything and put up plastic and even put a couple filters on the fresh air vents for the garage. (This was in GILBERT about 12 years ago so things may have changed.) We then went into spraying. Sprayed the primer one day and let it dry and went back the following day to lay down the base coat and right as we get the hood done, we get a knock on the garage door. Its the FIREDEPARTMENT, responding to a call of a neighbor who called us in for painting in the garage. The fireman were cool about it and said its against the law(only if someone calls you in and we have to make another trip out) 1 trip OK, 2nd trip you get a ticket. Ticket was like $2500 if i remember correctly. They said something about the fumes, over spray, FCC shit, ozone crap and someother things where if the fumes combust it could destroy a city block. So we then had to shut down the operation and pay someone with a spray booth to finish.

So i say you would probably be cool but you never know as i thought my brothers neighbors were cool to. For sure dont do anything to piss off the neighbors like over spray or load noise painting at night but yeah you should be cool. You could always play dumb if someone shows up complaining about it and say ohh really didint know.