PDA

View Full Version : WasteGate Heat Coating

AZ_CIVIC
04-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I have a question, about heat coating. I was wondering if it is possible to heat coat a Waste Gate. I have heat coated the dump tube, down pipe, turbo exhaust housing, but am wondering if it is ok to heat coat a waste gate. My waste gate gets so freaking hot and heats up anything close to it. Maybe with some Swine Tech or something it would keep heat temps down.

AZ_CIVIC
04-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Ok so I called Full Race and they said that they can heat coat the Waste Gate. I have done the HPC coating on allot of my parts and think this is very interesting. Full Race said they have done it on a couple of cars but not to often.

I am going to go for it so I will have to take some pics of before and afters on this one and update on if I feel a reduction in temps.

turbo4dr
04-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Good stuff, I thought about this a while back and always wanted to try it. Keep us posted.

AZ_CIVIC
04-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Will do, it might be a few weeks, I need to find a ride while this gets done and Full Race hasn't called back with a price.

imm0rtal
04-09-2010, 09:11 AM
so would you coat the entire wastegate or disassemble it and coat individual pieces?

AZ_CIVIC
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM
so would you coat the entire wastegate or disassemble it and coat individual pieces?

From what I was told the wastgate internals need to come out before coating, basically the spring and diaphram, I will have to look into it a little more but Full Race said they have done a couple so I am sure they know what needs to be done.

honduh_head
04-13-2010, 07:19 AM
damn never thought about doing this. good idea

AZ_CIVIC
04-13-2010, 07:28 AM
damn never thought about doing this. good idea

Yeah, I just thought it was something that I never see heat coated but whenever I open my hood I feel more of the radiant heat coming from that then the manifold.

Full-Race Henry
04-13-2010, 10:45 AM
you have to completely dis assemble your wastegate to get it coated, but after its coated, the WG looks awesome. all fullrace needs is the housing, just the stainless steel part, none of the aluminum. Just be careful putting everything back together.

AZ_CIVIC
04-14-2010, 09:41 AM
you have to completely dis assemble your wastegate to get it coated, but after its coated, the WG looks awesome. all fullrace needs is the housing, just the stainless steel part, none of the aluminum. Just be careful putting everything back together.

Very cool, but why not the aluminum as well, would this screw something up. I wanted to heat coat everything if possible.

JDMEG2
04-14-2010, 10:58 AM
its pretty tight to get the manifold, the dump tube and the waste gate coated. looks sick and keeps the heat down

INTEGRA DC2
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
So is the heat coating going to work better than heat wraping? like on the dump, down and manifold?

AZ_CIVIC
04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
So is the heat coating going to work better than heat wraping? like on the dump, down and manifold?

Oh yeah, I have a heat coated down pipe, dump tube, turbo exhaust housing, I had my manifold heat coated but got a different one. It makes a big difference, lets say I have been driving my car for 45 minutes my wastegate feels hotter than my downpipe, and it seems to cool down way faster to.

In my opinion heat wrap is junk compared to HPC coating, plus HPC coating looks really nice as well.

JDMEG2
04-14-2010, 04:04 PM
yeah the shiny silver coating looks sick. especiailly when you do it to the manifold and the turbo housing

Full-Race Henry
04-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Very cool, but why not the aluminum as well, would this screw something up. I wanted to heat coat everything if possible.

you can probably do iit, but i wouldn't since there are certain tolerances for the spring, diaphragm, valve, etc.