PDA

View Full Version : Honda losing it's luster?

MrRline2010
04-11-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/ma...7.htm

By David Welch
BW Magazine

Given the troubles of archrival Toyota, Honda should be cleaning up this year. It isn't working out that way. After a decade of nonstop growth in the U.S., Honda Motor (HMG) fell from a 10.5% share in the first quarter of 2009 to 10.1% in the same period this year. (Rival Nissan Motor now has 9%, up from 7.9%, and Hyundai Motor is up to 4.4%, from 4.2%.) Honda "has lost its mojo with new model launches," says Jessica Caldwell, a senior analyst at car shopping site Edmunds.com.

While Honda's sales are up 12.5% from last year's dismal first quarter, the overall market grew by 17.1%. The company once offered a sportier alternative to stodgy-but-reliable Toyota Motor (TM), but Honda's cars now look pale alongside newer models from Nissan, Hyundai, Ford (F), and General Motors, says John Wolkonowicz, an analyst at IHS Global Insight. With its reputation for performance and handling, Honda "used to be the Japanese BMW," Wolkonowicz says. "It's not anymore."

Honda declined to make any executives available for this story. A spokesman says the company isn't concerned about market share; it is profitable and remains focused on providing reliable, safe, efficient cars. Nonetheless, Honda in March offered cheap leases to battle 0% financing deals from Toyota as that company sought to shore up sales in the wake of its recall problems. Honda's program boosted interest somewhat, but the market-share slide continued.
OUTSOLD 2 TO 1

The new Accord Crosstour is emblematic of Honda's woes. Honda launched the model in November, billing it as a mash-up of an SUV and a sedan. Trouble is, the Crosstour has neither the room of most SUVs nor the look and feel of a sedan, says James N. Hall, principal of 2953 Analytics, an auto consultancy in Birmingham, Mich. And the Crosstour only comes with a V-6 engine, pushing the price to $30,000. Not only is it about $3,000 more than Toyota's competing Venza but it also uses more fuel. This year the Venza has outsold the Crosstour by nearly 2 to 1.

Honda has similarly stumbled with the Insight. During the hybrid's splashy relaunch last year, Honda pitched it as a less expensive alternative to Toyota's Prius. In 2010, Honda has moved fewer than 5,000 Insights in the U.S., about one-sixth the number of Priuses Toyota has sold. And in March, Ford's Fusion hybrid edged out the Insight 1,670 to 1,652 even though the Fusion costs some 35% more. While the Fusion is roomier, it gets nearly the same gas mileage, about 40 miles per gallon.

Even Honda's core models are under pressure. The Civic compact, the No. 6 seller in the U.S. in 2009, is No. 7 this year, researcher Autodata reports, and sales of the CR-V are off by 4.2%. And while Accord sales are growing, Honda opted for more conservative styling when it relaunched the sedan last year. Now potential buyers are exploring other options; a year ago, only 5% of visitors to Edmunds.com interested in the Accord also checked out the Hyundai Sonata, and 6% looked at Ford's Fusion. This March, 12% of Accord shoppers considered the Sonata and 9% gave the Fusion a look.

One such shopper is Charles Summers, who works for a human resources firm near Atlanta. With his first child on the way, Summers figured he would trade his 2007 Hyundai Elantra for an Accord. But he found the styling bland and felt the Sonata was more comfortable. So he spent $26,000 for a Sonata, while a similarly equipped Accord would have cost more than $28,000. "I thought for sure I'd end up with an Accord," Summers says. And that's how market share slips away.

Welch is BusinessWeek's Detroit bureau chief.

HEADSHOT
04-11-2010, 06:04 PM
it cause they make such damn good cars. why would i go buy i new honda when my 93 still runs great and gets 45 mils to the gallon???

LadyLockness
04-11-2010, 08:01 PM
sad n true

king06
04-11-2010, 08:41 PM
it cause they make such damn good cars. why would i go buy i new honda when my 93 still runs great and gets 45 mils to the gallon???

Truff

taketurns
04-11-2010, 08:41 PM
sad n true

what?

EGMATT
04-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda's are TUFF.

super_civic
04-11-2010, 09:10 PM

Truff

Honda's are TUFF.

Although that is true, there are people out there that want to buy more "futuristic" or I guess "newer" looking cars that will still perform like the older models.
I love Hondas for what they were, not what they are now. There is not 1 single 2008 and newer Honda Vehicle in the US that I would want to buy right now.

Rzarectah
04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Fuck that Summers guy and the POS sonata he rode in on!

MrRline2010
04-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Although that is true, there are people out there that want to buy more "futuristic" or I guess "newer" looking cars that will still perform like the older models.
I love Hondas for what they were, not what they are now. There is not 1 single 2008 and newer Honda Vehicle in the US that I would want to buy right now.

highlighted this because this is exactly what made me decide that I don't want a honda for the next ride. The old ones were sporty and spirited, but the new one's are just kindda boring.

Fuck that Summers guy and the POS sonata he rode in on!

lol maybe you should check out the new optima. I must say it's almost audiesc in it's design and a 2.0 liter turbo that you can run on 87 ain't too bad. I'm sure 274 hp will smoke most honda's coming out atm. Btw i'm not saying I own one just pointing out facts.

super_civic
04-11-2010, 10:06 PM
highlighted this because this is exactly what made me decide that I don't want a honda for the next ride. The old ones were sporty and spirited, but the new one's are just kindda boring.

lol maybe you should check out the new optima. I must say it's almost audiesc in it's design and a 2.0 liter turbo that you can run on 87 ain't too bad. I'm sure 274 hp will smoke most honda's coming out atm. Btw i'm not saying I own one just pointing out facts.

Dude, I know exactly what you mean. All the new Honda's aren't inspired by anything, I know it seems kinda lame to say, but I guess they lack the "Heart" or "soul" like the prior generations of Hondas had. Any Honda Co. rep will say that they have never changed their goals of producing reliable, safe and efficient cars, but in all honesty I think they have....

In the old models they were able to make most of their cars safe, reliable, efficient, and inspiring. Now new Honda's seem more like Audis to me (not asthetically speaking of course). They feel like a uniform rather than a car. /rant lol

1point8
04-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Eh.
They're just letting everybody play catch up.
Honda was so far ahead of everyone competition wise, they are just hanging back a bit, but still making reliable cars.
In the next couple years, they are going to bring back an integra, the s2000 again, and the civic is gonna get revamped beyond beliefe.

Or at least I'd like to think so.
They are making everyone miss what they used to offer so that when it comes back out, the demand will be high.

MrRline2010
04-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Eh.
They're just letting everybody play catch up.
Honda was so far ahead of everyone competition wise, they are just hanging back a bit, but still making reliable cars.
In the next couple years, they are going to bring back an integra, the s2000 again, and the civic is gonna get revamped beyond beliefe.

Or at least I'd like to think so.
They are making everyone miss what they used to offer so that when it comes back out, the demand will be high.

lol wishful thinking?

Dead Bird
04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
claro que si guey

marcinko
04-12-2010, 12:05 AM
The only cars worth shit these days are Nissans and Fords.... everything else is living in the past.

Rzarectah
04-12-2010, 07:48 PM
The only cars worth shit these days are Nissans and Fords.... everything else is living in the past.

Nissans i can agree with but i dont see how Fords are worth a shit. I wouldnt ever buy one thats for sure.

NickAtNite
04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
No new nsx, s2000, or even a prelude. I think a stock Civic Si deserves a little more power. 215-220hp would be nice. I do think Honda has been lacking quite a bit, lately.

crxmanpat
04-12-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm waiting to see what the upcoming CR-Z offers. Supposed to be somewhat of a hybrid (no pun intended) between an older CRX and the newer Insight.

http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/

SEAN_EM2
04-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Nissans i can agree with but i dont see how Fords are worth a shit. I wouldnt ever buy one thats for sure.

I COMPLETELY AGREE.
I LOVE NiSSANS. IF I COULD AFFORD ONE THERE WOULD DEFINITYLY BE ONE IN MY DRIVE WAY. BUT YEAH FORDS.? I NEVER LIKED THEM. HAHA.

crx3
04-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I remember the advertisement for the Prelude VTEC titled "Turbocharger Schmurbocharger". Back then a 2.2 VTEC making 190 HP compared well to a Diamond Star 2.0T making 190 HP. Times have changed and most turbo 4 bangers are making much more power than they used to, and many now have variable valve timing in addition to the turbo. I recently drove a Dodge Caliber SRT-4 with the GEMA 2.4 VVT Turbo. Equipped with a Mopar Stage 1 reflash and Mopar BOV conversion plate, this engine is making approximately 320-330 HP at 15 PSI. Say what you will about the car, but the engine is impressive. Hyundai and Kia are the new underdogs much like Honda in the 80's and 90's. That position drives product innovation and risk. I think Honda has become comfortable, and returned to their goal of fuel efficient, reliable people movers. The race cars and performance models were a tool to develop technology and to attract buyers, and Honda may feel as though these efforts are no longer as necessary as they were in the past. If Honda would bring over some JDM goodies like the high output K20A at 220 to 240HP installed in a CR-Z, then that would serve to level the playing field a bit.

slowmedown
04-13-2010, 05:41 PM
i personally think most newer cars these days suck. they are overpriced, ugly and HUGE. have you seen how large accords have become vs the originals? i still like alot of hondas new products but IMO they lack the character of the 88-95 years.

and as for toyota...i dont know where to begin. toyota designs the most f-ing ugliest and boring cars now

i know i will get hated for this but im starting to like fords products. the new SHO, GT500...count me in