PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

FlySly
04-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Well, i got a speeding ticket 4/3. My buddy called me telling me that there is some huge annual show going on in the downtown area and people are just cruising up and down central. So i picked him up and we went for a little cruise. It was bumper to bumper traffic with everyone reving, some even burning tires up and down central.

I was at a light at there war a car in front of me, i thought i would step on it a little bit and pass him. As i did that, i saw a cop posted up way ahead of me so i slowed down, he followed me and pulled me over. I was told i was going 48 and i got a ticket for that. I also got a ticket for no seat belt, but i told him "pull over anybody out there right now and they wont have one on becasue of the bumper to bumper traffic", he told me "i didn't pull over anybody, i pulled u over".

My question is, he told me he locked me in at 48 in a 35, i asked him to see the radar for proof and he told me he didnt actually have it locked in. Another cop (kind of a jackass) came over telling me "he doesn't have to show you anything". Now I'm not sure if i went THAT fast, i did step on it a little bit but i was only in 2nd gear ( mind you i never redline my shit). He could have said i was going 70 and take me to jail so thats why i believe that proof is important. I had a witness in my car when he told me he didn't have the proof, will this hold up in court???

Now "just pay the ticket" is not the kind of advice i'm looking for.. I'm not sure if i'm eligible to go to school but if not, do i stand a fighting chance?

BDEG
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Never hurts to fight it in the end you either pay for it or you get let off. they will drop the seat belt ticket tho since it isnt important. If they let you take school id just do that.

Hopeless EP3
04-21-2010, 09:57 PM
they do not have to show you proof

redbone
04-21-2010, 11:47 PM
i thought if you asked to see the radar they had to show you?

bb4arson
04-22-2010, 12:14 AM
well would fight the speeding one
but there is nothing you can do about the seat belt you either wear it or you dont..

fRoSt
04-22-2010, 12:22 AM
if they lose the speeding fight, they will eventually bring up the seatbelt problem.

FlySly
04-22-2010, 01:09 AM
if they lose the speeding fight, they will eventually bring up the seatbelt problem.

i'll pay $50 for th seat-belt violation no problem, $181 for the speeding is what i'm not lookin forward to. Thats why i would like to know, if they dont have proof of me speeding, do they have a case? I asked to see the radar and he told me he didnt lock it. Back in the homeland, when they get you on the radar, the lock it on and print out a receipt stating your violation and speed. Without that print out, they dont have a case against you, its his word against yours. Or in my case, his word against mine and my friend's.

SweetNuts
04-22-2010, 01:14 AM
i'll pay $50 for th seat-belt violation no problem, $181 for the speeding is what i'm not lookin forward to. Thats why i would like to know, if they dont have proof of me speeding, do they have a case? I asked to see the radar and he told me he didnt lock it. Back in the homeland, when they get you on the radar, the lock it on and print out a receipt stating your violation and speed. Without that print out, they dont have a case against you, its his word against yours. Or in my case, his word against mine and my friend's.

I have been in the same situation dude. They dont have to show you proof. I believe they can also estimate your speed using surrounding traffic speed and their "trained eye." Chances are the judge will side with the officer anyway. Doesnt hurt to try and fight it though.

FlySly
04-22-2010, 01:27 AM
yea... thats what i thought, just wanted to make sure. If i'm eligible to take the class, i'll gladly take it. If not, i'll fight it. Make his ass come to court if nothing else lol

deely7
04-22-2010, 01:46 AM
you should have told him you took off your seat belt when you got pulled over so you could get your wallet out if your pocket.

When I got pulled over the cop showed me the radar, I didnt even need to ask he just showed me and said "do you realize how fast your going?"

Statikk
04-22-2010, 01:58 AM
I would fight it, It doesnt hurt to try and most of the time the cops that gave you the ticket dont show up to court. I fought one time and the cop that gave me the ticket didnt show up so the judge just cancelled it. I was like yes!!!

MrRline2010
04-22-2010, 01:58 AM
I don't think you have much of a chance. From what you say it sounds pretty solid. Also you gave me the impression that you smarted off to the officer. If you decide to fight it though here's some suggestions.

Look at your ticket make sure everything is correct. I have personally won in court with a ticket because an officer mispelled a road.
Next take pictures of the area and have them printed for court once you plead not guilty.
Also since you say that it wasn't possible for you to go that fast try going that fast and measure distance. Get it on tape if you can then also figure out the distance where you were accused. Maybe you can defend your point that way. Also what device did the officer say he hit you with. Laser radar etc.
Also your friend doesn't count in court sorry its a he says she says. Deal and the officer already has integrity points ahead of you

HondaFreak
04-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Just fight it man. I have heard most of the time they'll drop it because they don't want to deal with that stuff. I could be wrong though.

whatISvtek?
04-22-2010, 02:02 AM
I would fight it, It doesnt hurt to try and most of the time the cops that gave you the ticket dont show up to court. I fought one time and the cop that gave me the ticket didnt show up so the judge just cancelled it. I was like yes!!!

they changed that i guess, my friend when to court but the cop sent a representative for himself to fight it.

i would fight that because legally they are suppose to show you the radar if you ask to see it. just get some facts and if you go infront of the judge explain, they like it when you know your shit. you may have to pay for the no seatbelts but you shouldve figure that.

eviilboy
04-22-2010, 02:07 AM
they changed that i guess, my friend when to court but the cop sent a representative for himself to fight it.

i would fight that because legally they are suppose to show you the radar if you ask to see it. just get some facts and if you go infront of the judge explain, they like it when you know your shit. you may have to pay for the no seatbelts but you shouldve figure that.

What's the ARS code that says they have to show you the radar / proof?

In this state cops are certified to estimate your speed, and 99% of the time they can use that as their defense and the Judge will side with them... cause... well they're cops, and you're joe-nobody.

Like others have said, and like Cronic has said.. fight it if you really don't believe you were speeding... make sure and get some evidence to prove your point.. and be professional / courteous to the judge.. no matter what.

imm0rtal
04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
they do not have to show you proof...at the sceneFixed. If it is a criminal charge they will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt in court that he was guilty of the infractions. Not sure about non-criminal matters though. When I fuck up, I do it right lol

The God Damn Batman
04-22-2010, 11:43 AM
i agree with what most have said on here.. plus, passenger that you have thats a "witness", i dont think will even hold up in court. I know if insurance, the passenger in the car is not a valid witness.

FlySly
04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
alright, thanks for the input... For whoever said it seemed as if i was a smart ass with the cop, i really wasnt. The thing is that i have no tickets on my record and as soon as he got my license and other information that he asked for, he said "sit tight, i'm just going to write u a couple of tickets". i mean shit, it is my fault but i'm paying for school and i'm unemployed at the moment and the frustration just set it. Plus some "fresh meat" cop showed up with an attitude and that didnt help the situation.

MrRline2010
04-22-2010, 02:26 PM
alright, thanks for the input... For whoever said it seemed as if i was a smart ass with the cop, i really wasnt. The thing is that i have no tickets on my record and as soon as he got my license and other information that he asked for, he said "sit tight, i'm just going to write u a couple of tickets". i mean shit, it is my fault but i'm paying for school and i'm unemployed at the moment and the frustration just set it. Plus some "fresh meat" cop showed up with an attitude and that didnt help the situation.

Dude even if that was the case that's what traffic cops are supposed to do. Pull you over and give you a ticket if your violating the law. It would be one thing if you werent' breaking the law and got a bogus ticket. It's another thing when your story even makes it sound like you were speeding. Also never back talk a cop or pull the old why did you pull me over he was speeding too. Obviously he noticed you over anybody else if that was the case. Just take the ticket and bend over dude sorry.

ripps520
04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
man you fucked around and got caught. You know what you did,everyone has done the samething im sure. Just try and get traffic school or pay the ticket. no point in wasting yours and everyone elses time.

FlySly
04-22-2010, 02:42 PM
not the type of advice i was lookin for...refer to my first post... I dont feel like i'm wasting my time by asking for advice. not waist my money is what i'm trying to do here. I posed a decent question, can he give me a ticket without having any proof. If u feel like i wasted ur time by u reading my post, welcome to off topics section of azht.

ripps520
04-22-2010, 02:55 PM
not the type of advice i was lookin for...refer to my first post... I dont feel like i'm wasting my time by asking for advice. not waist my money is what i'm trying to do here. I posed a decent question, can he give me a ticket without having any proof. If u feel like i wasted ur time by u reading my post, welcome to off topics section of azht.
im just saying don't waste peoples time by taking it to court, when you know you were in the wrong. I know it sucks getting tickets, but in the end you will prolly end up paying for it.

94 coupe
04-22-2010, 03:00 PM
try fighting it

BLACK EG
04-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Dont even waste your time fighting it. I went thru a simular situation this week except i was doing 52 in a 35. Pay the ticket and get it done with.

emgee420
04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Dont even waste your time fighting it. I went thru a simular situation this week except i was doing 52 in a 35. Pay the ticket and get it done with.
what this guy said...man up...pay your ticket...learn from it and be a better driver

BDEG
04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
When you go to court the judge it will be like this
call your name you walk up to the judge
He says your ticket is speeding and seatbelt
He will say they will drop the seat belt ticket if you say your guilty
or
do you want to fight it and risk paying both tickets
or
you can take school and they will drop the seat belt ticket and no points goes towards your license.

If they give you the school option take it and pay for school sit in a class for I think 8 hrs and be done with it.

If school isnt a option then fight the ticket, never hurt to try.
They will tell you to come back in a month to where you and the cop can prove your case. say your story he says his then
the judge will say if your guilty or not. If guilty you pay both tickets if not you get let off.

Evil Empire
04-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Looks like you're fucked, dude.

“The officer refused to show me the reading on the radar gun. There is no proof of my speed so I cannot be convicted.”

There is no law in any state that requires an officer to show you the reading on the radar or laser gun. Most jurisdictions discourage this as a matter of safety. If the officer does show you, it is a courtesy only. If the officer says you were speeding, that is all the proof the judge needs to find you guilty. Most courts will accept a simple visual estimate by an officer without speed detection from any device. -

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/speeding-ticket-urban-legends.html

That site isn't official but it looks pretty legit. And if you search for a topic asking if police have to show you the gun, the same answer comes up every time - there's no law in any state that says they HAVE to show it to you.

Here are all the AZ Transportation Laws, though...maybe you can find something but I highly doubt it. - http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=28

Like others said, I'd fight just because you might as well...at the same time, though, you're 99% likely to lose the case, lose your time you wasted going there and waiting, and they can charge you court processing fees, too. The same thing happened to Louie when he wanted to argue the same shit you want...they made him pay the ticket plus $52 for "court fees."

FlySly
04-22-2010, 05:40 PM
damn... well.. i hope can take the class. If not, i'll probably fight it.. they're already charging me court fees so might as well. I have to be at court tomorrow morning..

krazyblurtz
04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Cops in general have a good memory of events that happen at their work.
By judging what you said he was acting like he seems like the a-hole cops and or you are exactly what most a hole cops despise....he may just love to show up to finalize it.

Judges can either way or continue your case if he doesn't show up. I've gotten lucky 1/4 times.

Anyways how much tax money is wasted on cops showing up to court to fight tickets to people who shouldnt be arguing their case?? That would be a nice figure to look into.

FlySly
04-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Cops in general have a good memory of events that happen at their work.
By judging what you said he was acting like he seems like the a-hole cops and or you are exactly what most a hole cops despise....he may just love to show up to finalize it.

Judges can either way or continue your case if he doesn't show up. I've gotten lucky 1/4 times.

Anyways how much tax money is wasted on cops showing up to court to fight tickets to people who shouldnt be arguing their case?? That would be a nice figure to look into.

Thats why its their job is to get you on anything and everything they can and slap u with as many violations possible, and god know there is a violation for everything you do. Thats why they charge you for court fees even if u dont go to court and decide to just pay for it by mail. I wont feel bad one bit if it goes that rout, i might get lucky too.