PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt LS problems HELP plz

4dr_ed3
06-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Okay so i just got done rebuilding a LS. I put new bearing and new rings. It has pr3 pistons on pr4 rods.... According to the person who sold me the block he had honed the block. i believe him since hes a well knwn vendor on here. but this is the second set of rings and bearing i buy because the motor seems to be literally speewing out the oil out of the exhaust. At first i thougt it may be a valve seals but after reading i found that even if a valve seal was even completely missing it wouldnt leak no where near this much.. so now idk what to do what could be causing this? a bad hone? oild pump?(im using a B16 oil pump) im at a loss as of what it could be. two bran new sets of rings. idk if this could make a diff but i knw there like a little circle thing on the top of the block before u put the head on idk if that for oil or water but i think its missing could that be it? some one help and if u need more info let me know thx

4dr_ed3
06-26-2010, 06:15 PM
hereis a pic of what i lost and there for didnt put back on idk if it makes a diff at all

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp203/01_em2/B18.jpg

b18c6
06-26-2010, 06:48 PM
hmm THINK IT DOES WAS THE OIL PUMP NEW

b18c6
06-26-2010, 07:15 PM
the valve guide seals on the head may be bad which there leak dwn threw the head into the pistons

honduh_head
06-27-2010, 01:57 AM
did you gap the rings before installing them?

king06
06-27-2010, 12:00 PM
did you gap the rings before installing them?

Also take a better picture of the bores.

This is the part number you lost, its a "ORIFICE ASSY., OIL CONTROL 15140-PR3-000" Its like $8.

If you cant clearly see the cross hatch hone, I suggest you get it honed and correctly gap the rings. Next time, before you take off the head do a leak down test and it will answer all your questions.

BDD
06-28-2010, 01:36 PM
hereis a pic of what i lost and there for didnt put back on idk if it makes a diff at all]

I think you answered your own question

4dr_ed3
06-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Thx for the input guys ima get to work now on all this stuff I still gotta take everything apart.... and I didn't gap the the rings the guy at the parts store said I didn't need to gap the rings but I guess ima just rebuild and make sure I re hone the block gap the rings and get the valve seals and stuff aswell if it doesn't work then I'm down another like 500 buks

king06
06-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Thx for the input guys ima get to work now on all this stuff I still gotta take everything apart.... and I didn't gap the the rings the guy at the parts store said I didn't need to gap the rings but I guess ima just rebuild and make sure I re hone the block gap the rings and get the valve seals and stuff aswell if it doesn't work then I'm down another like 500 buks

What parts store is that? Get oem rings or Total seal, their locals to us.

4dr_ed3
07-02-2010, 03:17 PM
if i do a compression test before i take ne thing apart will it tell me if its deff the rings? and whats a good compression to have?

4dr_ed3
07-02-2010, 03:37 PM
did compression check on it right now and this is what i got

cyl 1- 240
cyl 2- 210
cyl 3- 160
cyl 4- 210

Hellsinki
07-02-2010, 11:44 PM
I'd recommend doing a leak down test to find out the reason for the compression loss. It could be through the rings, or it could also be through one of the valves on that cylinder.

king06
07-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Leak down, not compression test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YseNYvktQK0

4dr_ed3
07-03-2010, 07:50 AM
ive read up on doing a leak down tezt before, but the way i know its the rings is because i saw how to test specifically for the rings. if u have low comp in one or more cyclinders the way to eliminate it being a valve is by adding a small amount of oil through the spark plug hole and re doing the compression test. the oil will help temp seal the rings and if i get a higher number the 2nd time around then itsdeff the rings and i did that and got 240 out of the cyclinder that was at 160. so i know its rings for sure, but just in case i purchased a 97 LS head complete that i KNEW was in mint condition and also kn ew had no issues since its a friend who had the motor and did an lsv, he also had a spare ls block and got that oil preasure reg off of it that i was missing, so im going to re-ring the pistons, all of them, im gonna make sure they are gapped, hone the cyclinder, put the head on and do a compression test right after that before i even start it and i should be getting 260 in all cyl from what i was told if i do it right

gunsup0331
07-03-2010, 03:27 PM
go buy a FSM and do it right omfg
for ring staggering though i would do it 180 instead of the 90 that honda say just for peace of mind
do you own a 3-4" micrometer?

Mr.Burner
07-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Ok so it was re honed and pr3 pistons installed. Low compression numbers... Seems like ring seal is the problem. Could be cause of your ring clocking position or ring not sealing...

You'd be better off getting the next size bigger piston, new rings, and get a REAL final bore hone done that way your not working with oval cylinder liners.

And the oil jet in the block is needed.