PDA

View Full Version : Race / Sticky tires on mild builds

GTABurnout
07-05-2010, 10:19 PM
So getting a taste of the road course car stuff. I made a few hot laps on Sunday at a local track. My main issue with the car besides the lack of power is the willing ness to push or just downright slid.

Basically I almost destroyed a set of street tires.

Car: 97 LS integra
Ksport coilovers, and ASR rear brace and 24mm swaybar.

Car feels willing to rotate, in fact I was easy on decel and brakes because of the swaybar, but when the wife was driving she was not as smooth and the car still refused to swap ends so its very forgiving.

Basically the question is with such a mild build would a set of good road race tires be advisable? I know in the street bike world tires are everything in fack I beat down may 1Ks with a 600RR on full slicks.

Any recommendations on how to set the car us to rotate and feel more stable?

I am just learning....-

Importfan2
07-06-2010, 11:06 AM
what kind of tires where u running.. I was running star specs and they were doing just fine

GTABurnout
07-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Not sure the brand but it is a cheap street tire not a crossover type. I am going to do another track day on the 18th I will try to not over drive the tirs and see if that helps.

Is there a down side to throwing good tires on a mild build like mine?

crxhfb16
07-07-2010, 08:51 AM
star specs are a good dual duty tire that performs real well, nitto nt01 is a good semi slick tire they have a 100treadwere that's what i use on my crx for track-days.

taggart_lumpy
07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Look into some hankook rs3's

ILIKETODRIVE
07-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Dunlop Star Spec, Hankook RS-3, Kumho XS, Bridgestone RE-11, Toyo R1R.

What spring rates are the KSports? Where do you have the shocks adjusted to? (aka - full stiff, full soft) What front bar, 22m or 24mm? What tire pressures did you start with? What did they get to hot? Had an alignment done recently? Etc etc...

INTEGRA DC2
07-07-2010, 10:22 AM

What spring rates are the KSports? Where do you have the shocks adjusted to? (aka - full stiff, full soft) What front bar, 22m or 24mm? What tire pressures did you start with? What did they get to hot? Had an alignment done recently? Etc etc...

great questions... this info would help alot

BlueTeg
07-07-2010, 01:06 PM

this.

Without knowing anything about your driving history, I would generally say it's best to get at least 10 trackdays under your belt with street tires before you start running R-compounds.

GTABurnout
07-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Its clear I need to pay some more attention to my set up.

I basically driove to the track hen out on the track for 5 laps. Pulled in changed the shocks to 5 turn stiffer then mid way and went out again...

I will run street tires for thenext few track days focusing on riving and the proper line....

Thanks for the help guys...

ILIKETODRIVE
07-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Its clear I need to pay some more attention to my set up.

I basically driove to the track hen out on the track for 5 laps. Pulled in changed the shocks to 5 turn stiffer then mid way and went out again...

I will run street tires for thenext few track days focusing on riving and the proper line....

Thanks for the help guys...

:thumbup:

:wave:

bb4arson
07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
star specs *

GTABurnout
07-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Dumb question, how much air presure should I run on my street tires?

crxhfb16
07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
put like 42psi mark the sidewall/tread area with something(i use shoe paint) and pay attention to how much tread your using and also remember that the air will expand when they get hot so be mindful that they don't over inflate.

Kinetic
07-10-2010, 02:08 AM
this.

Without knowing anything about your driving history, I would generally say it's best to get at least 10 trackdays under your belt with street tires before you start running R-compounds.

I preach this to every one I introduce to track days...R-comps hide driving mistakes...street tires force you to learn proper technique and car control.

Dumb question, how much air presure should I run on my street tires?

depends on the tire..the ambient air temp..how hot the tires were when you checked the air pressure....

put like 42psi mark the sidewall/tread area with something(i use shoe paint) and pay attention to how much tread your using and also remember that the air will expand when they get hot so be mindful that they don't over inflate.

42 seems a little high..but once again it depends on the tires and etc....

also most tire that are performance orientated will have a little triangle on the top of the sidewall/tread edge.... I adjust air pressure to where the tire is using every bit of tread up to the tip of the triangle

and FWIW... Kumho XS, Hankook RS-3 or Dunlop Star spec are the hot three right now... I run the Hankook.....BlueTeg has used the Kumho XS....in 2 years these will be outdated....