PDA

View Full Version : Lsd?

mixedCRX
08-11-2010, 10:45 AM
I wont to get LSD. I just wanted to know if i should just find a tranny with a stock Honda LSD, or if i should spend the extra money and get a after market LSD.

any input is good input :)

BlueTeg
08-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Kaaz and Quaife are great, but pricey! It's tough to recommend an expensive aftermarket unit over the OEM units, since its really a matter of how much you value the additional grip you get vs. what your budget is.

When I first switched over from the factory open diff the oem ITR helical LSD I was very impressed in the difference it made. The ITR LSD is a great mod for the money and very low maintence.

...then I switched to a 1.5 way Kaaz clutch type LSD and that seemed like night and day over the ITR LSD. That differential was nearly twice the price (I bought it used) and IMO certainly delivered twice the performance. The maintence on those are alot higher as they require rebuilds from time to time and Kaaz strongly suggests using their gear oil (about $50 per fluid change on a B-series gearbox).

Cliffsnotes: if you can afford it get a Kaaz or Quaife (I beleive Quaife's are helical so they may not require as much attention). If you're tight on flow maybe try the ITR diff first, and then upgrade down the road to ease the hit on your wallet.

ILIKETODRIVE
08-11-2010, 02:07 PM
x2 to what Gabe said about "ITR now, upgrade later".

mixedCRX
08-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm going to do the itr after I get better with the open diff so I can also get a feel for my car. I've heard its best to learn with nothing and work from there and I like that idea.

But the ITR is the one i should get? are they better then the other OEM LSD's?

BlueTeg
08-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Pretty sure the ITR uses the same LSD as the jdm GSRs that came w/ LSD as an option.
There are no other oem LSDs for B-series.

ILIKETODRIVE
08-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Pretty sure the ITR uses the same LSD as the jdm GSRs that came w/ LSD as an option.
There are no other oem LSDs for B-series.

Negative, Ghostrider.

USDM and JDM ITR LSD is the only OEM helical LSD for B-Series. JDM GSR/SiR-G and JDM SiR/SiR-II have a viscous-style LSD. Those are pretty much no bueno unless they are brand new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

BlueTeg
08-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Negative, Ghostrider.

USDM and JDM ITR LSD is the only OEM helical LSD for B-Series. JDM GSR/SiR-G and JDM SiR/SiR-II have a viscous-style LSD. Those are pretty much no bueno unless they are brand new.

snap! I stand corrected.

I learned something today. :)
http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

AZ_CIVIC
08-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Kaaz and Quaife are great, but pricey! It's tough to recommend an expensive aftermarket unit over the OEM units, since its really a matter of how much you value the additional grip you get vs. what your budget is.

When I first switched over from the factory open diff the oem ITR helical LSD I was very impressed in the difference it made. The ITR LSD is a great mod for the money and very low maintence.

...then I switched to a 1.5 way Kaaz clutch type LSD and that seemed like night and day over the ITR LSD. That differential was nearly twice the price (I bought it used) and IMO certainly delivered twice the performance. The maintence on those are alot higher as they require rebuilds from time to time and Kaaz strongly suggests using their gear oil (about $50 per fluid change on a B-series gearbox).

Cliffsnotes: if you can afford it get a Kaaz or Quaife (I beleive Quaife's are helical so they may not require as much attention). If you're tight on flow maybe try the ITR diff first, and then upgrade down the road to ease the hit on your wallet.

I agree I had the KAAZ limited slip and it is alot of maintence and mine ended up braking then I bought a Civic Type R tranny from Import PowerHouse 6 years ago and still have it in my car today with no problems at all, but I think the KAAZ had a bit more performance. Either way I am very impressed and happy with the Civic Type R Tranny.

Kinetic
08-14-2010, 01:38 AM
BTW the Quaife is a helical and the KAAZ is a clutch type...

the OEM ITR and CTR are helical as well

get a WaveTrac diff over a Quaife....the wavetrac is cheaper and will work with one wheel off the ground where the the OEM ITR/CTR and Quaife wont

mixedCRX
08-19-2010, 09:07 PM
BTW the Quaife is a helical and the KAAZ is a clutch type...

the OEM ITR and CTR are helical as well

get a WaveTrac diff over a Quaife....the wavetrac is cheaper and will work with one wheel off the ground where the the OEM ITR/CTR and Quaife wont

thats awesome!! i need to get my tranny fixed then and do that diff, any opinions on someone thats good rebuilding trannys?

ektyper
08-19-2010, 09:14 PM
pm me maybe i can help

UMS Tuning Sales
08-24-2010, 02:57 PM
thats awesome!! i need to get my tranny fixed then and do that diff, any opinions on someone thats good rebuilding trannys?

I don't think Tage does it anmore due to a severe lack of time.....

TriTech or UMS can handle it though

RPG2ach
08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Anyone willing to teach a few adolescent adults how to rebuild their own transmissions? huh huh :D

ILIKETODRIVE
08-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Anyone willing to teach a few adolescent adults how to rebuild their own transmissions? huh huh :D

I *might* post up a how-to (with pics) when I put my mFactory diff in and replace some synchros/gears. However, there are a couple of good ones out there already.

mixedCRX
08-25-2010, 05:51 PM
id be interested in seeing that DIY but i might go with different gearing so i need to look into what gears i want first

RPG2ach
08-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Hell I would love to see that DIY as well, if you want a helping hand and your in the Tucson area I would be more then happy to try and assist that way I can visual learn. PM me if/when you start :D

ILIKETODRIVE
08-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Here's one of the good ones: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=795700

RPG2ach
08-26-2010, 02:11 PM
If all the pictures worked in that thread I would be happy...But right now I am sad panda :(

dudeinpinkfit
08-26-2010, 02:40 PM
I *might* post up a how-to (with pics) when I put my mFactory diff in and replace some synchros/gears. However, there are a couple of good ones out there already.

how are the mfactory lsds.... i was looking into getting one for my fit..

ILIKETODRIVE
08-27-2010, 08:25 AM
If all the pictures worked in that thread I would be happy...But right now I am sad panda :(

They work on my computer here at work...which normally blocks 99% of pictures...

how are the mfactory lsds.... i was looking into getting one for my fit..

I'll let you know when I get mine and take pics of it.

Once my car is finished and I'm back on track, I'll be able to give a full review of it.

(PS - I'm getting the 2.0-way metal plate LSD, not the helical. From what I've heard though their helical LSD is badass. Same with Wavetrac.)

dudeinpinkfit
08-27-2010, 08:03 PM
i heard people swear by them... not to mention that u dont need any special fluid.. i would probably get the helical one... but ya let me know what u think... and gl

mixedCRX
08-28-2010, 10:55 AM
i would like an update on that lsd as well

ILIKETODRIVE
08-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Will do.

The biggest reason I went with their metal plate LSD over the helical is this: I had an ITR LSD before and liked it but recently drove my friends hatch on track that has a Mugen 2-way clutch-style LSD. Night and day difference and instantly fell in love with it. Very next day, ordered the mFactory LSD.

mixedCRX
09-01-2010, 10:34 AM
i need to see how an lsd feels on the track first i was thinking of doing a 96-97 ITR tranny or the 98+ but idk if i want the shortest gears but i have a GSR right now and i know im getting rid of it for one of those just dont know witch one yet.

input welcome :)