PDA

View Full Version : Rim size, does it really matter?!

RPG2ach
08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Quick question for all the people who have seen and tried alot when it comes to a rim. I was curious for an older honda like an EG, is it ok to stick with a 15x6.5? Is there a huge noticable difference with a 15x7? Is it smarter to try and fit into a 16" rim because there is more of a tire choice?

Please fill me in guys, tires and rims is my worst subject. I am really wanting to get into auto X and road racing more however I wanna buy the right size rim the first time. Thnx :D

ILIKETODRIVE
08-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Depends on your tire selection, mostly.

Let's say you plan on doing the occasional HPDE and auto-x event with really good 205/50 street tires (Dunlop Star Spec, Kumho XS, etc), there wouldn't be a huge difference between running a 15x6.5 and a 15x7.

...with that being said, you typically want the widest wheel possible for your car and your tire (and within the rules if need be).

As far as tire choice is concerned, 15's have A LOT more options than 16's.

UMS Tuning Sales
08-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Depends on your tire selection, mostly.

Let's say you plan on doing the occasional HPDE and auto-x event with really good 205/50 street tires (Dunlop Star Spec, Kumho XS, etc), there wouldn't be a huge difference between running a 15x6.5 and a 15x7.

...with that being said, you typically want the widest wheel possible for your car and your tire (and within the rules if need be).

As far as tire choice is concerned, 15's have A LOT more options than 16's.

this is very true...

I would definitiley run a 15x7 over a 15x6.5 for a track car or one that will see a track.....street car not as concerned

and 15" has WAY MORE TIRE CHOICES

RPG2ach
08-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Cool cool, thnx for the input. Ya for street use I don't want to run a 7inch wide tire to Daily on...That is just a little ridiculous haha. Once again thnx for the input I think I made up my mind and sticking with a 15" :D