PDA

View Full Version : OBD1 Block in OBD2 car?!

RPG2ach
09-05-2010, 09:13 PM
I am sure this has been asked a lot, however I wanna figure this out. I have an OBD2 Del Sol Vtec, I would like to drop in a different bottom end...However does the bottom end have to be OBD2 because there are a few different sensors? Or is it possible to take what is off my B16A2 and slap it on any GSR Block to make it OBD2 compatible?

Yes I know the B18 block is taller, yes I know a different ECU would be needed (unless tuned).
So please, just trying to figure out this block thing I have been pondering on...

Looking for some straight forward answers, or someone that has been there and done this.
Thanks again guys!

honduh_head
09-06-2010, 12:21 PM
if you use a obd1 block you'll get a CEL from the crank angle sensor... easy fix would be to run a jumper and use an obd1 ecu.

RPG2ach
09-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Ok, but can you take the sensor from the B16 block and put it over to a B18 block to make it compatible? I am trying to learn more on the OBD2 B series stuff, OBD1 jumper conversion would work...How ever how would that go over with emissions? Just run an OBD2 through the OBD1 line and say its been converted to OBD1 and to use the sniffer system? haha Thnx, your actually replying :D

rotneg
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
i dont know about the emissions part of it, but i can tell you that the crank angle sensor is in two different locations on single cams obd2 has a magnetic sensor that actually reads the crank and obd1 is in the distributor so when you convert to obd1 you have to use a obd1 distributor im not positive about b series but i would imagine it is the same, so in conclusion unless your going to convert to obd1 the answer is no (as long as b series is the same as d series) btw crank angle will make your car run in limp mode nothing over 3k rpms

The Punisher
09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
To run the OBDII on a B series you can move the Crank Fluctuation sensor over however you'd have to have an OBDII oil pump that has the mount points to do so!

king06
09-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I just switch over to the obd2 oil pump.

Uncle_Diddlez
09-06-2010, 06:06 PM
I am sure this has been asked a lot, however I wanna figure this out. I have an OBD2 Del Sol Vtec, I would like to drop in a different bottom end...However does the bottom end have to be OBD2 because there are a few different sensors? Or is it possible to take what is off my B16A2 and slap it on any GSR Block to make it OBD2 compatible?

Yes I know the B18 block is taller, yes I know a different ECU would be needed (unless tuned).
So please, just trying to figure out this block thing I have been pondering on...

Looking for some straight forward answers, or someone that has been there and done this.
Thanks again guys!

Just get a jumper and run a obd1 ecu and run it through emissions it will pass u dont need to tell them anything. As long as ur engine light comes on and then goes off they will pass you I have done it with an obd1 engine in my obd2 EK

The Punisher
09-06-2010, 06:14 PM
They can pass you, they dont have to :)

Dead Bird
09-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Just get a jumper and run a obd1 ecu and run it through emissions it will pass u dont need to tell them anything. As long as ur engine light comes on and then goes off they will pass you I have done it with an obd1 engine in my obd2 EK

i get the feeling you nigger rig shit a lot.

Why not just use the Oil pump with the Crank position sensor on it so it can read properly? No reason not to especially if he knows his old oil pump is in good working condition...

PENTAGRAM_OF_EVIL
09-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Why are you changing the bottom to start.

And agree jumper and ecu. I run a obd2 in mine with no problems.

Dead Bird
09-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Why are you changing the bottom to start.

And agree jumper and ecu. I run a obd2 in mine with no problems.

ok i think you've got it backwards....

PENTAGRAM_OF_EVIL
09-12-2010, 03:59 PM
ok i think you've got it backwards....

Lol ya, I was think of mine..

But, why change block.

Dead Bird
09-12-2010, 04:32 PM
lack of torque