PDA

View Full Version : Type r

B00STED
09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Just pickd up a type r bare block from some guy for a very good price im looking to build it where can i start??? Any info helps...

Also got a running gsr i may/can use as a donor engine for a few parts

the type r is a ""bare"" block like i said any help works thx...

B00STED
09-21-2010, 08:09 PM

FranktheTank
09-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Get it hot tanked and honed if possible, maybe even decked if you want. Find a sick stroker kit and make a all motor beast.
call it a day

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth
09-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Get it hot tanked and honed if possible, maybe even decked if you want. Find a sick stroker kit and make a all motor beast.
call it a day
definatly hot tanked, honed, decked, have all the threads checked and possibly cleaned out, maybe even paint her up if you want her to look purdy.

all motor stroker FTW

B00STED
09-21-2010, 09:51 PM
What machine shop do u guys recommend?? And about how much SHould i be looking to spend???

JDM wheel whore
09-21-2010, 10:15 PM
well sad to say but if you dont have the original main caps you you will need to have it line bored with the caps you source. this happened when i took a B16A2 i had bought. i has no idea a line bore was needed. a machine shop said that was the process if i did not have the original caps that came with the block....but this was a V8 shop so i don't know if this is the same case across the board with all engine builds...maybe someone can shed more light on this.

$200 is what i was quoted at that shop..so i used another block and sleeved it.

I also heard this line bore was needed when you upgrade to ARP mains.....again i just heard this...may not be a fact but it would be good to know.

B00STED
09-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Ya i was reading about that... Def something to look ito this is gonna be a drag motor so i wanta do everything right no matter how long the build takes...

What machine shop did yogo to???

JDM wheel whore
09-21-2010, 10:32 PM
I always wanted to build from a type-r platform.
I had a b16B i wanted to rebulid and do crazy expensive things but lack of funding as always so i left it in the car, my last civic i owned.

My friend has a C5 longblock and i think he may swap out a longblock for a good comp jdm b18c i have sourced for him, so i may have another chance to do a nice high comp build like you sir!!! good luck and keep us posted with your plans!!! if you dont find an authentic ITR head. I have a PR3 head from my EM1 laying around if thats the route you must go.

here is an old discussion on what flows better....im sure if you look you will find a better up to date thread then what i found.
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=610586

JDM wheel whore
09-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Ya i was reading about that... Def something to look ito this is gonna be a drag motor so i wanta do everything right no matter how long the build takes...

What machine shop did yogo to???

I forget the name but it was a local shop.

DC2 CRUSHER
09-21-2010, 10:34 PM
i wanted to built one but at the time i got a hold of a B16 instead w/CTR internals so not bad! Good Luck take your time on it DNT RUSH IT

JDM wheel whore
09-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Here is some good ish here.

http://www.theoldone.com/components/

I was looking to buy the oil pump the sell on this site above and put in the JUN oil pump gear as a CYA step.

I was also reading about the external line they offer to feed oil to the head on Vtec longblocks. This site has a lot of information and it seems everything they sell has a lot of research that has gone into it as far as testing goes.

B00STED
09-21-2010, 10:38 PM
K thx guyS...now i was thinking since type r main caps are gonna be hard to fnd how would Ls... Or gsr ones work??? Would i need to use an ls gsr crank???

B00STED
09-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Also what would be the performance factor???

JDM wheel whore
09-21-2010, 10:46 PM
good question.......GSR's if you can find them......they have the provisions for the OEM block girdle and for the GSR/ITR oil pick up and windage tray. and the pan is specific to p72 if im not mistaken. thats what my CTR had.

JDM wheel whore
09-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Also what would be the performance factor???

well with a strocker kit if that is the route you take. I would source GSR/ITR mains possibly an aftermarket Girdle as they may be the same price as OEM.

as far as the oil pick up and oil pan the cheap way is used parts or aftermarket Moroso, heavy on the pocket but bling...oh and that requires a moroso iol pick up too...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/20901/10002/-1?parentProductId=763999

B00STED
09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
thanks alot for the help and for not being an ashole like half of the azht members.. def will look into all that above if i have any questions ill let u guys know and ill update u on the buld soon :) thx!

JDM wheel whore
09-21-2010, 11:07 PM
here is a rew links to ChicagoMike's car i heard it was something like a 12 sec car

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=120378

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh172/RippinVTEC2/?action=view&current=mikecivic.flv

B00STED
09-21-2010, 11:07 PM
how much for your pr3head??? pm me price plz

JDM wheel whore
09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
for you 2 bills. it has no cams, no dizzy, no intake manifold

its off a motor that never had its head gasket changed. nor leaked. im sure thats all you want as far as additional parts as you would do a itr or skunk manifold and aftermaket cams. lmk if the price is good of not i may throw some extras or drop the price

I Hate Import Cars
09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
well sad to say but if you dont have the original main caps you you will need to have it line bored with the caps you source. this happened when i took a B16A2 i had bought. i has no idea a line bore was needed. a machine shop said that was the process if i did not have the original caps that came with the block....but this was a V8 shop so i don't know if this is the same case across the board with all engine builds...maybe someone can shed more light on this.

$200 is what i was quoted at that shop..so i used another block and sleeved it.

I also heard this line bore was needed when you upgrade to ARP mains.....again i just heard this...may not be a fact but it would be good to know.

Not always required to align bore with studs, just need to check the bore alignment to be sure. You will most definitely need to align bore it with different caps.

K thx guyS...now i was thinking since type r main caps are gonna be hard to fnd how would Ls... Or gsr ones work??? Would i need to use an ls gsr crank???

GSR will have the provisions for the girdle. Might as well look into forged steel main caps if you're going to be paying for a main bore alignment anyway...

Here are some from Dart;
http://www.dartheads.com/products/honda-main-cap-2.html