PDA

View Full Version : new amp, or sufficient?

Acoba
10-03-2010, 07:13 PM
So I got a pair of Boston Acoustics totaling 70 RMS and I need to figure out which amplifier +sub will be compatible with it.

I'm looking at a Kicker Amp which has 4 ohms: 70 watts x 2 chan. So that is what i'm looking at, but idk which sub to pick.

So the amp has a rating of 4 ohms: 210 watts x 1 chan. Does that mean I can only have a sub which matches the 210w? which is kinda hard to find.. so should I be looking at a different sub? or is 210w sufficient..?

[btw i'm not lookin to kill the people in the backseats, just for somethin to cruise with]

SloDezl
10-03-2010, 10:36 PM
what kind of car do you have? that makes a big difference in picking a sub. probably a 12 and 250 watt amp should do fine.

DarkTinman
10-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Just saying, you can get a lot better/cheaper amp other then kicker. I know a lot of people in the valley get kickers but they aren't as good as everyone makes them out to be. PM if you want any more help with this

bobbbbbbbbbbo
10-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Generally if you want a nice mid/high section with a nice low, you should run 2 different amps. That way you can match all channels appropriately.

Acoba
10-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Ahh ok, well I'm not into brand names, I was just putting the name out there n specs

I have an eg hatch. I should aim for a 4-channel, and hook 2 up to the speakers and bridge the next 2?

and the 2 amps, I'm not really down to their own setups, I just want something better than my 18 yr old stock system, lol

bobbbbbbbbbbo
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Ahh ok, well I'm not into brand names, I was just putting the name out there n specs

I have an eg hatch. I should aim for a 4-channel, and hook 2 up to the speakers and bridge the next 2?

and the 2 amps, I'm not really down to their own setups, I just want something better than my 18 yr old stock system, lol

Give me a price range and I can find you something appropriate.

HondaFreak
10-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Kicker if not polk audio

i30stmi
10-21-2010, 11:00 PM
You can get an Alpine MRP F300 for around 200 locally. It's 50w rms x4. You could run your fronts decently with that and either bridge the rear channels with a low pass filter for the sub, or put 6 1/2 inch subs in the rear speaker locations. I've done this alot with vettes. It is lighter than running a sub and sounds surprisingly great. A single amp is great for a small car, and you don't want big bang anyway so might as well stay with a single amp. PM or call/text if you need anything!