PDA

View Full Version : hydro locked k24 ?'s

HEADSHOT
10-19-2010, 08:12 AM
ive got a k24 shorty that was hydro locked. i got it for dirt cheap or else i wouldnt have done gotten it. number one piston rod is bent. being that the k series crank girdle is actually the block what are the chances that the crank is bad?

Nachooooosupreme
10-19-2010, 08:14 AM
you gotta pull it and take it to a machine shop just to be sure

HEADSHOT
10-19-2010, 08:18 AM
true id really like to get the stuff to do my own runnouts. any idea how much a runnout would cost at a machine shop? or how much you have been charged?

Nachooooosupreme
10-19-2010, 08:23 AM
that idk bro but check around for good machine shops and give em a call..i would recommend having all the rods checked too along with the crank.

rotneg
10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
some machine shops will check those kind of things for free especially because they want the work that your about to have to put into the motor. my guess of the crank being damaged is no because the rod took the hit but it definitely needs to be indicated. the equipment you would need to do a proper run-out would probably cost about a G with some serious shopping around, just take it to a shop. also you probably want to check your line bore on your block and your cylinders are most likely out of round

k20z3coupe
10-19-2010, 09:44 AM
a girdle is a girdle and a block is a block, yes the girdle holds the crank to the block but yo cant say theyre the same thing

HEADSHOT
10-20-2010, 02:03 PM
a girdle is a girdle and a block is a block, yes the girdle holds the crank to the block but yo cant say theyre the same thing

yes but the the bottom portion of the k series block acts as the girdle.< sort of. i do realize the difference.

k20z3coupe
10-20-2010, 04:55 PM
i know, i just built my k24. they did that for strength and its one of the best girdle designs by far. good luck man

9kshifter
11-18-2010, 12:30 PM
dude theres a high chance that tha crank is perfectly find....that rod is like 10 times weakier than a crank...i work for toyota as a line tech and ive gotten like a dozen hydro locked motors from the bad stormes and most of the times those cranks are perfectly stright the bad thing is some times they get scracthed and thats the problem.

Mr.Burner
11-18-2010, 07:07 PM
You mean fine?

If you have a rod bent enough it can throw it off balance for sure, but your most damage will be at the bottom of the sleeve, you won't know for sure unless you tear it down.

Which 2.4 is it?