PDA

View Full Version : Need Quick Mig Advice

AZ_CIVIC
12-31-2010, 06:32 PM
I am currently welding shut some holes in my engine bay, as we all know the sheet metal is thin as puck, on one of my holes it burned through a little and I am in a spot I cannot use my Copper backing tool, I honestly cannot get anything underneath.

I turned down the power and wire speed but it doesnt penitrate good.

Should I do a couple quick spots welds around to build it up or what is the best thing I can do here?

all_motor_mike
01-01-2011, 03:18 PM
its just plugging a hole in ur firewall, well it really doesnt necessarily need good penetration like a turbo manifold butt weld or anything then u know. welld it then grind the welds down. thats my opinion.

mike

AFFIRace
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Maybe trying to weld in the opposite direction. Right handers usually weld right to left. Simply weld left to right and build on the material you're adding. Vice versa for left handed welders.

skar1
01-01-2011, 07:00 PM
I mig'd my engine bay if it's small enough weld around it to build the weld then try to fill as much, grind it down, weld some more, and keep repeating till you get it done. If it's too big for that like the holes from the heater hoses get a small piece of metal and weld it to an edge of the hole then fill the rest like I mentioned. Hope that helps man gl.

AZ_CIVIC
01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks guy's, all is going well except for that one damn spot it's driving me crazy. I've filled tons of holes no problem and area's that I can get my copper backing work perfect for bigger holes. It's just that one spot in the shock tower that you cannot get behind.

I fill then I fill some more getting good built up and I switch hands as well just when the hole is just about shut and I go to tack the one little pin hole it blows though. I think I might have to try and get underneath.