PDA

View Full Version : wanting to get into road racing help me.

Acurazor
03-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Lately I've been trying to gather info on road racing. 1/4 just doesn't seem fun anymore. Where can I find info? I've looked at stickies but they just mention upcoming events. Id like to get involved in this sounds so fun and actually involves skill. Someone please help me. Thank you.

theAngryMarmot
03-09-2011, 11:24 AM
www.nasaaz.com (http://www.nasaaz.com)

BlueTeg
03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Here is the page for new driver's based on what Paul linked...

http://www.nasaaz.com/category/new-driver/

Agent Smith
03-09-2011, 11:43 AM
My advise, is come out to an event and talk to some people in person and get a ride along before you spend money on something you aren't sure about yet. There's at least 2 events every month, including one this weekend, come check it out!

here's a few previous threads on the subject:
http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66592
http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115084

Acurazor
03-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Great idea! Thank you guys for the fast response. Ill check out the site to and read as much as possible.

Full-Race Henry
03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Lately I've been trying to gather info on road racing. 1/4 just doesn't seem fun anymore. Where can I find info? I've looked at stickies but they just mention upcoming events. Id like to get involved in this sounds so fun and actually involves skill. Someone please help me. Thank you.

just dive right in, thats what i did for my first time, which was last weekend. i would suggest some good tires, good brakes and a good cooling system. i had issues with overheating for 6 out of the 8 sessions which was very frustrating. but other than that, i had a blast.

BlueTeg
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
My advise, is come out to an event and talk to some people in person and get a ride along before you spend money on something you aren't sure about yet. There's at least 2 events every month,

just dive right in, thats what i did for my first time, which was last weekend. i would suggest......good brakes and a good cooling system. i had issues with overheating for 6 out of the 8 sessions which was very frustrating.

these.

*inFamous*
03-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Rick, hit me up! we'll talk

Acurazor
03-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Will do Ravi!!! Lost your number but I'll pm you here in the next few days.

*inFamous*
03-09-2011, 09:44 PM
kkkk

SlowCivicHmm
03-10-2011, 12:13 AM
just come join a club...........its that simple............

Acurazor
03-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Well I didn't know how. Now I think I do. Gotta get my car ready though. Needs a few things first.

BlueTeg
03-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Needs a few things first.

orly? such as? :)

riceboy88
03-10-2011, 11:11 AM
all i have to say is that it was the most fun ive had with my pants on.... :biggrin:

Acurazor
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
orly? such as? :)

Would like to get new brake pads, and just a tune up. Fluids and such. And a Kpro tune before I run my car hard.:drive:

BlueTeg
03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Would like to get new brake pads, and just a tune up. Fluids and such. And a Kpro tune before I run my car hard.:drive:

pads, fluids and tune up = good idea

Kpro = totally unecessary, you can spend a quarter of the money that you would on a Kpro and be way faster after one weekend of driving/instruction. true story.

srsly, it's true.

srsly.

B16-Integra
03-10-2011, 05:57 PM
pads, fluids and tune up = good idea

Kpro = totally unecessary, you can spend a quarter of the money that you would on a Kpro and be way faster after one weekend of driving/instruction. true story.

srsly, it's true.

srsly.

x2.

Your factory tune will suffice just fine

Acurazor
03-11-2011, 08:10 AM
I already have Kpro. Just need the tune so it runs ok. Also, you guys recomend hawk or ebc pads? Can you tell a difference with those over stock oem style pads? Thanks guys.

Agent Smith
03-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Hawk hp+'s are a good street tire track pad and work good on the street, they will not fade like stock will...
I also like pbr ultimate ceramics, aka axxis ultimates...

Also upgrade your brake fluid, stock dot3 doesn't take abuse well. Motul or ate super blue racing fluid work great. Ogracing.com has both cheap.

Again, you don't need kpro, a stock ecu will be more than enough. Too often people make excuses as to why they are not ready to run on track, this is not a good one.

Acurazor
03-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Lol enough about the Kpro. Not an excuse. Car is running very rich needs a tune. Not driving it until I do so. Anyway, ill look into getting some motul fluid. Sounds like a good idea since I need to replace brake fluid anyway.

LoooseGSR
03-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Lol enough about the Kpro. Not an excuse. Car is running very rich needs a tune. Not driving it until I do so. Anyway, ill look into getting some motul fluid. Sounds like a good idea since I need to replace brake fluid anyway.

Motul is more expensive, go with ATE Super Blue, has never failed me:-)

Acurazor
03-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Will look at it right now. How much is typically needed? Safe to run in clutch system also?

*inFamous*
03-11-2011, 11:50 AM
a quart to flush the brake system, and yes safe in clutch. I have it in both as I actually nuked my clutch fluid at AMP a few months ago. Never again lol.

Register for HPDE1 in April man!

Rufus
03-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm 100% down to bring out the S2000 to one of these as well.

*inFamous*
03-11-2011, 12:27 PM
do it dallis!

Acurazor
03-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Well I need to see what dates the event is. My work schedule is kinda weird so if im free those dates ill be there. Even if I don't race I want to check it out.

BlueTeg
03-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Also upgrade your brake fluid, stock dot3 doesn't take abuse well. Motul or ate super blue racing fluid work great.

^ this.

Ogracing.com has both cheap.

UMS Tuning stocks ATE Blue (very affordable). Avoid the shipping charges. Support local biz!

Acurazor
03-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Very far for me to drive though.

trusohc
04-12-2011, 08:57 PM
^ this.

UMS Tuning stocks ATE Blue (very affordable). Avoid the shipping charges. Support local biz!

im in the same boat trying to get into time attacks. where can i get the fluid at locally?

and whats the best way to learn besides talking to people their? i dont wanna go reck my hatch into anything/one what do they require to just do like a test/practice run?

SlowCivicHmm
04-12-2011, 09:56 PM
I'll give you a ride along if you want brotha........show you its all practice.... :-)

You have to take the beginners course no matter what organization you join from Cali to New York & all inbetween...

PS I'll have some fluid soon...alll extra by the case...FYI..

94jezer
04-12-2011, 10:22 PM
DO IT!!!!!. It will be the best choice you made in your life lol. I moved out to Arizona July of last year and went to my first event in October last year as a birthday gift to myself. Ever since then i got "Hooked".

I been going to every NASA AZ event possible, so far a total of 6 events and already plan on continuing to go. My car started out as nothing, and now i just been upgrading to make it faster and more safer for me to test my limits and my car.

The best thing i have ever spent my money on. This weekend Im trying out AUTOX.

SlowCivicHmm
04-12-2011, 10:24 PM
^^^ yup I've been road racing since 2003, and this weekend will be my 1st autox event.....I'm excited!!

94jezer
04-12-2011, 10:26 PM
im in the same boat trying to get into time attacks. where can i get the fluid at locally?

and whats the best way to learn besides talking to people their? i dont wanna go reck my hatch into anything/one what do they require to just do like a test/practice run?

You can get the fluid at UMS Tuning. They're in Tempe.

As for testing and practice runs.... only thing i can suggest is try AUTOX. Only one car on the road course at a time, runs last like a minute and the course is made up from cones so know worry about smashing up your hatch.

Talk to BLUETEG he helped me get started and still helps me today. He's been in the game for a while.

BlueTeg
04-13-2011, 09:02 AM

UMS is Mesa, BTW. ;)

To participate in Time Attack you have to have passed HPDE 1 and HPDE 2. Most people can pass HPDE1 in a day or two. Most spend 2-3 days in HPDE2. After you get signed off to run in HPDE3 you can run time attack. Best way to learn? Get out there and do it!! If you're worried about contact in your car, come out to an event and you'll see that it's actually pretty safe to run. Everyone's traveling the same direction, everyone has 100% focus on whats around and in front of them, and everyone's equipment has been checked out to be in good working order....compare that driving in rush hour when you have people changing lanes, hardly focused on the road (texting, talking on the phone, fiddling w/ their music, makeup, kids, etc) and I don't know about you but I don't trust the braking ability or handling of quit a few of the road worthy vehicles I see on our streets.

If do what your instructor tells and you don't try to drive beyond your limits is very safe.

trusohc
04-13-2011, 10:38 AM
I'll give you a ride along if you want brotha........show you its all practice.... :-)

You have to take the beginners course no matter what organization you join from Cali to New York & all inbetween...

PS I'll have some fluid soon...alll extra by the case...FYI..

I might have to take you up on both those offers. Yea I read in dsport about this event that just passed. I wanted to make it out but I was so wrapped up in getting my hatch ready for eibach I spaced out.

trusohc
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
UMS is Mesa, BTW. ;)

To participate in Time Attack you have to have passed HPDE 1 and HPDE 2. Most people can pass HPDE1 in a day or two. Most spend 2-3 days in HPDE2. After you get signed off to run in HPDE3 you can run time attack. Best way to learn? Get out there and do it!! If you're worried about contact in your car, come out to an event and you'll see that it's actually pretty safe to run. Everyone's traveling the same direction, everyone has 100% focus on whats around and in front of them, and everyone's equipment has been checked out to be in good working order....compare that driving in rush hour when you have people changing lanes, hardly focused on the road (texting, talking on the phone, fiddling w/ their music, makeup, kids, etc) and I don't know about you but I don't trust the braking ability or handling of quit a few of the road worthy vehicles I see on our streets.

If do what your instructor tells and you don't try to drive beyond your limits is very safe.

What's hpde? What's the fees on that and where do I go to do that.
When is the next event? My hatch won't be ready for it but I'm sure I can see and learn a lot just by going

Acurazor
04-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Can you race with a 4 point harness? I thought I read 5 point or oem. Doesn't make sense thought. 4 point would be better than oem. When I swapped in my recaros I didn't swap over the female part of the seat belt from my oem seats. And the usdm and jdm parts don't snap together. And I sold my stock seats. So right now I actually don't have seat belts. Getting harnesses soon but I need to know what is legal for nasa.

94jezer
04-13-2011, 12:02 PM
What's hpde? What's the fees on that and where do I go to do that.
When is the next event? My hatch won't be ready for it but I'm sure I can see and learn a lot just by going

High Performance Driving Education. There are 4 groups of HPDE. Everyone for there first time goes in HPDE 1 and is provided an instructor and classroom time to get them ready for there first session of the day. You get 4 session each 20mins. HPDE 1 runs $169 for one day and $269 for twos day. Price do increase as the event get's closer to the date so always sign up ASAP.

http://www.nasaaz.com/category/new-driver/

^^^^This is the website for NASA AZ this will explain everything to you for all new drivers.

The next event is at INDE Motorsports Ranch in willcox, May 7-8. I will not be attending due to the track is about 4-5 hours from PHX. :ballin:

BlueTeg
04-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Can you race with a 4 point harness?

I thought I read 5 point or oem.

Doesn't make sense thought. 4 point would be better than oem.

Getting harnesses soon but I need to know what is legal for nasa.

With NASA you cannot participate in Race Group with a 4 point harness.
As of April 1st, 4 points are no longer legal for NASA AZ hpde events.

You are correct, that you must have a 5 point or OEM restraint system.

Makes alot of sense. :) 4 points are inferior to OEM designs in that in the event of an accident the momentum from your torso puts load on the shoulder belts, which in turn transfer load to the lap belts, which can cause the lap belts positioning to shift from your hips (which can take alot of force thanks to your pelvis bone) to your lower abdomen (which can take very little pressure before you get internal damage to your organs). Try sitting in your seat with the 4 points hooked up, get them as tight as you possibly can and then "crunch" forward like you would in a frontal impact and you'll see/feel the cam buckle and lap belts shift up. A correctly installed 5 or 6 point harness has an anti-sub belt near your wedding tackle and will prevent the cam buckle and lap belts from shifting up in an frontal impact. 5/6 point harnesses also offer the benefit of preventing your body from submarining out of the bottom of the harness in an impact.
4 points are inferior to OEM 3 point seat belts because in the event of a front impact your torso places load on the shoulder belt which then tightens the lap belt but keeps the lap belt on the same axis rather than having it shift up and onto your mid section.

If your Recaro's are the style that come in the JDM ITRs, then it will be difficult to install a 5 or 6pt harness system on them without cutting up your seat. :( Do you have JDM or USDM belts right now? If you have USDM belts and your problem is that they don't buckle into the JDM buckles that attach to the seat/rail mount, then I would recommend buying a USDM buckle or buckels. People sell the buckles for *cheap*. Sometimes they even give them away. If you have JDM belts with USDM buckles, then you should look for some USDM belts, which you can usually find for pretty cheap. Either way its an easy fix that you should look into sooner rather than later. You know how bad the drivers are here in Phoenix.....protect yourself and get some proper OEM belts mounted in your car. :thumbup:

BlueTeg
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I beleive that SCCA autocross still allows 4 points and this event: http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146533
would be a great way to cut your teeth into the motorsports world. It won't have high speeds like you would see at an HPDE or open track day, but you will be hauling some ass through the corners (which IMO is the fun part of motorsports, not the straightaways) and it's more affordable than an HPDE event from a per day standpoint (not from a per minute of track standpoint though).

trusohc
04-13-2011, 02:38 PM
What about running nirtous on the track
Besides a jacket and the pressure relief tube what else would be needed? Wish I could make that even but its too far for me too

Agent Smith
04-13-2011, 03:26 PM
What about running nirtous on the track
Besides a jacket and the pressure relief tube what else would be needed? Wish I could make that even but its too far for me too

you won't need nitrous for a long time. leave it at home...

trusohc
04-13-2011, 11:13 PM
thats probably true but its my drag car that impretty much converting to a time attack car so its already on and was wonderingonthe requirments if any special ones

BlueTeg
04-14-2011, 12:25 AM
thats probably true but its my drag car that impretty much converting to a time attack car so its already on and was wonderingonthe requirments if any special ones

You need permission from the Regional Director to use it on track. I know for NASA, the answer for an HPDE 1 -3 student will 99.9999% be a huge: NO.
Justin / Joser: does PAS allow nitrous for the beginner groups?

The reason being is that there is sooo much to learn your first few times out that the last thing you want, much less need, is a 50-100+ HP boost in power. 85% of the time you're turning or prepping for a turn and the nitrous, for a beginner, won't do you any good anyway since you (i) won't be using all of the power available to you if you didn't have a nitrous kit at all, (ii) you won't be at a throttle position that's high enough to safely activate the nitrous shot and the corresponding fuel tune that goes with it.

Just unhook the bottle and leave it at home. You should be fine to pass tech with the rest of the lines/hardware intact as long they're installed professionally.

SlowCivicHmm
04-14-2011, 08:06 AM
nope no nitrous allowed.....

It's only allowed with permission and for advanced groups...and mainly race cars not street cars...

Gabe is right.....you have to learn to drive then you can add power.........you wanna learn to go flat out before going fast.....because what you think is fast is not...........

road racing/tracking driving is all about throttle control/car control (ie grip driving).......