PDA

View Full Version : Safety: Harness Bars

civil
03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I know a lot of us are aware of safety and reg's for our driving disciplines. I just wanted to bring this over from HTech to spread the word/concern on some aftermarket parts as "safety tools/items" for those that don't want to pay for full cages or are using their only car as their weekend track toy.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2896572

LoooseGSR
03-25-2011, 10:12 AM
IMO, a harness car does ZERO for safety, there's a host of reasons why, but the simplest one is that without a cage, a rollover will most certainly crush and kill you because the harnesses won't allow your body to move like a stock seatbelt does.

If you want to run a race bucket, run the stock seatbelts, simple as that.

topramn
03-25-2011, 05:21 PM
IMO, a harness car does ZERO for safety, there's a host of reasons why, but the simplest one is that without a cage, a rollover will most certainly crush and kill you because the harnesses won't allow your body to move like a stock seatbelt does.

If you want to run a race bucket, run the stock seatbelts, simple as that.

The problem with a race bucket and stock belts is that in some cases, the belt doesnt touch the persons body. Personally, I am against this after doing it with one of my own cars for a short time. Especially after the accident I was in while sitting at a red light.

If you are going to spend the money on race seats, harnesses, and a harness bar then you might as well spend the additional money on a bolt in cage. From some quick research, a harness bar for a civic is from 200-400 bucks. You can buy a bolt in autopower bar for 475-600 and a full bolt in cage for less than 900. The decision seems clear to me.

crxhfb16
03-25-2011, 07:17 PM
people with harness bars dont care about safety they care about look cool with there mad tight jdm knock off takata harness.

LoooseGSR
03-27-2011, 01:27 PM
The problem with a race bucket and stock belts is that in some cases, the belt doesnt touch the persons body. Personally, I am against this after doing it with one of my own cars for a short time. Especially after the accident I was in while sitting at a red light.

If you are going to spend the money on race seats, harnesses, and a harness bar then you might as well spend the additional money on a bolt in cage. From some quick research, a harness bar for a civic is from 200-400 bucks. You can buy a bolt in autopower bar for 475-600 and a full bolt in cage for less than 900. The decision seems clear to me.

I don't disagree with you Ramin, I was only saying that running a stock seatbelt is better than running a harness bar and harnesses without a full cage.

This is why I'm still running stock seats in my Time Attack car.