PDA

View Full Version : Skunk2 Intake mani

aflo026
03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
Has anyone bought or know any who has the Sk2 intake mani for the 06+si, I'm looking into getting one along with the dbw sk2 72mm sk2 throttlebody. Any major gains? Is it worth the money? I'm buying it from corsportusa its coming to a total of 949.99 w/ free shipping :bigsmile:

freakin_elrod
03-31-2011, 09:04 AM
i hope you have flash pro before taking on those mods

aflo026
03-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Ya I have flashpro, One of the first things i bought 300$

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth
03-31-2011, 11:43 AM
where did you get flashpro for 300$??????? ill buy it RIGHT now at 300

freakin_elrod
03-31-2011, 11:49 AM
yeah seriously 300 bucks is a steal!! but any how, from what i've seen on 8th civic you must retune with some kind of management i.e. flash pro to take advantage of the manifold and throttle body upgrade. a user on that forum got the manifold and dbw throttle body along with the other bolt ons with no tune and gained no hp, so it would suck to spend all that money and get nothing out of it.

Jason.AZ1
03-31-2011, 11:58 AM
$300 sounds more like he has reflash then flashpro.

So, we with all the talk over the release of Skunk2's intake manifold along with our ported RRC intake manifold lying around, we decided to test them against the proven almighty RBC.

The engine we're testing on is a k24/k20 frank. 12.5:1 stock bore, rcrew header, 3" exhaust, 70mm TB, IPS K2 iron core cams.

The manifolds

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/pb16b/k2.jpg

The car with the RBC

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/pb16b/k1.jpg

The car with the RRC

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/pb16b/k3.jpg

The car with the Skunk2

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/pb16b/k4.jpg

The graph with all 3 tuned best runs overlayed.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/pb16b/k5.jpg

all in all, these 3 manifolds seemed to make about the same power. RBC/RRC made most peak. RRC lost a little on the midrange. RBC/Skunk2 tied in the midrange. This only happened after cam angle changes were made. The Skunk2 manifold wanted more cam angle down low and little less in the middle, up top, same as RBC.

lagachette
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5585/intakescompress.png

I didn't have had the same results with my k24 set up...

HI, doted pink=Skunk2, dark blue=RBC, pale blue=RRC, pink=RAA ported. All the tests have been made with Skunk2 70mm TB. The Skunk2 was the deception. But we think that the S2 was not a good combination with my set up and we didn't work a lot on the tables for this one.

The RAA ported is really fun to drive in the street.

I don't undrestand the peak at high RPM on this dynapack dyno. The owner of the dyno said that it was true HP...

My set up for this test was

- TSX head ported at 310cfm
- Skunk2 stage 2 cams
- Pro series Skunk2 springs
- Titanium Skunk2 retainers
- 2.5 inches exaust with catalyst (weak point for this set up)
- DC sport header
- K pro
- CP pistons 11.5/1
- Brian Crower rods ultralight
- Balanced Crank
- 2.4 TSX block with Type S oil pump and Type S oil coller
- 410cc injectors
- Hybrid Racing Tensionner

I figured I'd post these up incase it helps in some way.

But anyways instead of buying a IM/TB for $950. I'm pretty sure you have I/H/E since you said you have flashpro.
I'll sell you a complete wet nitrous kit for alot less money and it'll show better gains then the IM/TB and you'll have money left in your pocket.

aflo026
03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Ya its Flashpro, my brother bought it a few months back he bought an evo sold me the flashpro for 3 bills. It is indeed a steal.

aflo026
03-31-2011, 04:55 PM
I was planning on going forced induction when i get back from deployment in 2 months, Would it be ideal to go with forced induction rather than Nos kit? I was looking into going the Full-race turbo set up. But I'm also looking for the best interest in the long run too.

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth
03-31-2011, 11:36 PM
edited cuz i was wrong apparently

aflo026
04-01-2011, 01:12 AM
I was looking more into it due to the fact, that i saved a lot of money from being overseas. What i don't want to do is put money into a nitro kit and risk the chance of something going wrong. I read up a lot about the k20z3 being able to do a lot with the stock internals

Jason.AZ1
04-01-2011, 02:19 AM
if you want it to last long id suggest turbo kit,
If a motor was suppose to be NA without rebuilding it for F/I any F/I will cause a stock motor risk if something messes up with the bottle or turbo or S/C or if the owner just beats the living crap out of the motor and doesnt keep up with maintenance.

So saying if you want it to last long buy a turbo atleast a nitrous kit has a off switch.

nitrous is cheap bang for the buck and if its tuned right it works GREAT but it cant add the power a turbo kit can. PLUS if most anything fails in the nitrous system you could have a catastrophic failure. Only way to have that with a turbo kit is to have the wastegate or BOV stick open or closed. OR if the turbo burns all your oil and causes your sump to go dry.

Again, If anything on the turbo kit really fucks up it can cause problems just like nitrous. There's also alot more parts for a turbo kit to get messed up As for power sure he can buy a fullrace kit and get tune he's probably going to be at like
400-500 whp on 91 but he also just spent close to 6k
He can throw a bottle in the car go get tune and hit atleast 280-350whp depending on the shot. for less the 1k and still drive the car na every day until he wants to spray...

If your on a budget a good nitrous kit with all the goodies and a tune will probably tank out around 2k id guess?

Hmm not really. He has flash pro and I/h/e I assume. All he needs is a Nitrous kit and new spark plugs and a tune. $300 for a nitrous kit and about $3-400 for a tune and what $30 for plugs so at most $730 to be tuned on bottle.
Hell even if he has a shop install it for him most shops only charge
$1-200 to install a nitrous kit. So again at most $930. less the 1k and be able to hit 280-350whp on the dyno isnt bad at all in my eyes.

How ever I know everyone is different and people give nitrous a bad rep or say its cheating but who care's same can be said about a turbo kit on a na car

If I was looking to make cheap power and still have a reliable motor to drive everyday Id throw my car on bottle. like I mention before off switch.

However if money isnt the problem and got 6-10k to spend fuck yeah boost that bitch and maybe build the motor a little. make 500+whp

Also that $950 he was thinking about spending on a IM/TB he could buy a bottle and tune and be alot faster and be about the same amount of money.

aflo026
04-01-2011, 04:48 AM
I'm still leaning both ways with where I want to go, There is both pros and cons to having a turbo and nitro kit. I know for a fact I don't want to go near S/C just for the simple fact that i would be paying roughly around 3-4k for a little gain.

Do you know what would cost more in the long run, turbo kit or nitro? With having to change the plugs so often refilling the n20 tanks and other miscellaneous items. I guess im really trying to get my money worth

Jermey1
04-02-2011, 06:30 PM
just by my nitrous kit and you will be good.

Bruticus
04-05-2011, 07:47 PM

$300 is WAY below dealer cost, No even Joe at LoCash, the original Hondata dealer could get them for that.

Bruticus
04-05-2011, 07:53 PM
I would go RRC and Hybrid-Racing 70mm DBW throttle body. I had a local customer swap out his RBC for an RRC and picked up 7 whp peak with no power loss anywhere in the power band.

I can get you a deal on either the Skunk2 manifold and throttle body or a RRC manifold and HR throttle body. BTW, you will have to use some of the components from your stock throttle body on the Skunk2 and Hybrid-Racing DBW throttle bodies.