PDA

View Full Version : weird idle problem

civicarlos
04-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Ok heres the deal, i did look on google before post this and i didnt find anything about it, so a few days ago i notice that my car idles weird when i have the a/c on and hit the brake because when i turn it off immediately the idle goes, but today with the a/c did the same thing but not so weird and strong, another thing when i turn off my car some gas smells comes out? any ideas of what could it be? maybe somebody in here have or had the same problem that i....

oh btw the idles only comes when i hit the brake in neutral

hotwheelcivic
04-02-2011, 11:52 AM
When you hit the brake in neutral? That's odd...

The whole a/c thing just could be as simple as a vacuum leak. And when you run your a/c you can will idle different cause its trying harder to run the fans to cool your motor down. Its pushing air through the vents and it working harder. You'll know when the fans kick on cause it will get louder and your idle will go up.

And with the gas smell... Maybe your gas cap isn't tight enough. Has a small leak and vapors are getting out. It could also be your fuel pump doing something its not suppose too.

luis8585
04-02-2011, 02:12 PM
true your weak d17 motor work harder on summer espeacialy with the a/c on and sometimes your low horse power with the a/c on and make sure everything is maintenance right and have everything clean and good tires and pressure and watch that you dont overload the trunk and if its possible make a tune up

hotwheelcivic
04-02-2011, 02:33 PM
^^^ what does over loading the trunk have to do with his idle? Nothing at all! And the d17 isn't a bad motor at all. Ya it doesn't have a lot of hp, but it is still a strong motor. Compared to a k series its a weak motor. But who in there right mind would compare the 2. That's like comparing milk to water. There completely different.

luis8585
04-02-2011, 03:39 PM
im not talking about the idle i was telling you to keep the car well maintained especially in the summer when all the cars are more forced .... i know that d17 are strong motor tell me about it

hotwheelcivic
04-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Well this thread isn't about maintaining your car in the summer... Its about his idle problem.

luis8585
04-02-2011, 04:43 PM
i nowwwwwwwwwwww

hotwheelcivic
04-02-2011, 04:48 PM
So why did you say it? It has nothing to do with this thread.

luis8585
04-02-2011, 05:06 PM
i am talking about the A/C cuz when i turn on my a/c it goes up and down my idle too so thats why telling you a advise:smackself:

hotwheelcivic
04-02-2011, 05:08 PM
That's what I said. And you didn't have to add in all the bashing on the "weak" motor. Just say it will idle different with the a/c on.

luis8585
04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
:smackself:

civicarlos
04-02-2011, 07:40 PM
i know what happens when ac its on, but the thing is the car does like when your taking your feet out the clutch pedal like the feeling thats about to turn off the car that kind of idle i mean, a strong vibration that moves the whole car

hotwheelcivic
04-02-2011, 07:44 PM
i-ack valve is bad! Mine is too. Its very common on out cars. It makes the car not idle correctly. Is your head still stock? Or have you done any work to your head?

hotwheelcivic
04-02-2011, 07:46 PM
But the whole thing with the whole car shaking like its going to blow up... You got me on that. Unless there's something wrong with your suspension that's affecting the whole picture.

luis8585
04-02-2011, 11:54 PM
i know what happens when ac its on, but the thing is the car does like when your taking your feet out the clutch pedal like the feeling thats about to turn off the car that kind of idle i mean, a strong vibration that moves the whole car

it happen to me since i washed the motor sometimes it happens i think water got in the idle

hotwheelcivic
04-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Hopefully your motor doesn't seize from getting the water in the intake. That's no good at all. It could also be your timing belt advancing a tooth If there's water in there.

civicarlos
04-03-2011, 01:33 AM
i-ack valve is bad! Mine is too. Its very common on out cars. It makes the car not idle correctly. Is your head still stock? Or have you done any work to your head?

honestly i dont know if its stock gasket my car has 18X XXX miles, how can i know if my gasket is the stock one?

civicarlos
04-03-2011, 01:48 AM
btw last thursday i fill the tank with gas additive does it have anything to do with this?

hotwheelcivic
04-03-2011, 02:03 AM
honestly i dont know if its stock gasket my car has 18X XXX miles, how can i know if my gasket is the stock one?

Well if you haven't had any head work done than yes you have a stock gasket. Which means your valves are most likely bad. And you probably have the stock timing belt. And if that's the case than your timing belt is getting worn and lose and its slipping teeth and advancing your timing and that's not good at all!!! That could be the loud clunk your feel. If it gets bad and you snap your timing belt than there goes your motor! You need to look into getting a new one or at least taking your head off and getting it machined and pressure tested.

Cause I thought mine was fine until I went to get a valve adjustment and my buddy couldn't get the specs right... All because all 8 of my exhaust valves were bad. See...

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/dprespect/Mobile%20Uploads/2010-01-14145721.jpg
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/dprespect/Mobile%20Uploads/2010-01-14145622.jpg
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/dprespect/Mobile%20Uploads/2010-01-14145615.jpg

After I got the head off and machined and pressure tested and I got all 8 valves replaced and it put it all back on my idle was fixed! It took a while to get used to new valves, but after those few miles of running it she seemed like a whole new motor! and now my car doesn't sound like a subaru when I'm driving it. (Which I miss dearly). Now the head is in working condition the way its suppose to be! See

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/dprespect/Mobile%20Uploads/2010-01-15155912.jpg

btw last thursday i fill the tank with gas additive does it have anything to do with this?

And I don't think that adding that stuff will help your idle or make it worse. I've never used it and don't know awhole lot about it. To my understanding it just helps your motor and cleans everything and makes it run smoother.

civicarlos
04-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info ill make an appoiment with the mechanic to get full inspection and a quote i may change the water pump as well

hotwheelcivic
04-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Yes change the water pump! You might as well since its right there!!! I did.

*From honda it was like $150 I think.
*Timing belt from honda $28.
*Head stud bolts from honda $45.

Its not that expensive.

The most you'll have to pay is the head work. I think mine was $350 for everything.
Machined, pressure tested, new valves, re-setting and aligning the valves.

And for sure that will make your car idle better. But maybe you just need a
valve job and it it will idle better. Lmk what your mechanic says.

GOTRICEAZ
04-19-2011, 11:32 AM
The same thing just happened to me the other day if you find out the problem let me know please i have a 02 civic

hotwheelcivic
04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
The same thing just happened to me the other day if you find out the problem let me know please i have a 02 civic

what happened to you? you had a weird idle?

GOTRICEAZ
04-20-2011, 08:09 PM
yeah some times when my ac is on an ill be sitting at a stop it will bog out

luis8585
04-20-2011, 08:15 PM
yeah some times when my ac is on an ill be sitting at a stop it will bog out
my too does the same problem

hotwheelcivic
04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
With manual cars if you let the clutch out to fast with out giving it enough gas it will bog. It just does it worse when the ac is on cause your compressor is working and the fans are going and it takes away your hp.

luis8585
04-20-2011, 09:03 PM
With manual cars if you let the clutch out to fast with out giving it enough gas it will bog. It just does it worse when the ac is on cause your compressor is working and the fans are going and it takes away your hp.

probable you right........but i think is Fuel Filter or the Fuel pump

GOTRICEAZ
04-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Haha i know that lol i can drive manual perfectly fine lol, but my car could be sitting in neutral and it will do it. It mainly does it in neutral its wack idk

hotwheelcivic
04-20-2011, 11:06 PM
probable you right........but i think is Fuel Filter or the Fuel pump
The filter wouldn't have anything to do with the idle... And the fuel pump doesn't really have anything to do with idle either. Fuel pump regulates how much gas is getting put in the motor when you step on the gas. If you didn't have one it would be pouring fuel in your motor and it would be running really rich. Not enough it goes lean.

Haha i know that lol i can drive manual perfectly fine lol, but my
car could be sitting in neutral and it will do it. It mainly does it in neutral its wack idk
Than if its in neutral it might be your valves. You might just need a valve job and have them tuned again. Cause it does have a lot of chatter under there and it can get moved over time. it could also be your iack valve. It has a lot to do with your idle. And its common that those go bad on our cars.

GOTRICEAZ
04-20-2011, 11:16 PM
ok cool thanks

hotwheelcivic
04-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Np. Were all here to learn a few things.

GOTRICEAZ
04-21-2011, 10:51 AM
yeah haha this web site helps me out a lot and ive only been on it for about a week haha but dang its great

civicarlos
04-22-2011, 03:35 PM
i been searching in the web how to clean the IAC valve but i only found for the 6th and 5h gen, but nothing for 7th i dont even know where is or how it looks if somebody could tell me ill do this , i hope with this idles desapear

civicarlos
04-24-2011, 01:50 PM
nobody?

civicarlos
04-24-2011, 11:58 PM
nevermind i found one with pics im doing this whenever i had the chance..

hotwheelcivic
04-25-2011, 09:55 AM
i been searching in the web how to clean the IAC valve but i only found for the 6th and 5h gen, but nothing for 7th i dont even know where is or how it looks if somebody could tell me ill do this , i hope with this idles desapear

check out the 7th gen forum... that might be of some assistance...

civicarlos
05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Fixed!

SoJDM
05-20-2011, 09:49 AM
nevermind i found one with pics im doing this whenever i had the chance..

Share please?

And Hotwheelcivic are you on 7thgen?

civicarlos
05-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Share please?

And Hotwheelcivic are you on 7thgen?

what i found its how to take all the air intake system and you will see the IAC valve just take it off and clean it with carb remover

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/115-engine/154965-diy-installing-aem-cai.html

http://www.torontocivics.com/showthread.php?t=8576

how to clean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-mwd5VJKt8

SoJDM
05-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Awesome, so did you feel a difference?

civicarlos
06-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Awesome, so did you feel a difference?

i did at first now is getting back :pissed:

civicarlos
06-01-2011, 10:24 PM
i dont know where to look now, i heard the iac valve has some kind of screw and can be adjusted so rev go back to normal, its this true? if so where is it

civicarlos
06-08-2011, 12:17 AM
could be bad ignition coils?