PDA

View Full Version : Tv gurus help

vtakdis
04-04-2011, 11:57 PM
so not even sure if this is the right section but i upgraded my 50" samsung 720p plasma to a 55" sony bravia 240hz 1080p led this weekend. My question is I have HDMI cables for everything but wondering if cheap hdmis arent enough for this TV, would using a higher quality cable help put the picture a noticeable amount(its amazing now)?

so are good HDMI cables worth the money?

nelsmar
04-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Good HDMI cables are not worth the money. www.monoprice.com. HDMI is a digital cable with a specific standard to the actual HDMI standard. There is a version number for each cable (such as version 1.3). Each cable must be able to sustain specific specifications to be a standard cable.

This is digital, not analog, if a bit of information is wrong, it is sent a second time thru an ack request. Cheap cables are just fine.

The only time you need anything other than a bare minimal bargain bin HDMI cable is if you are going to be installing in a wall or rendering at a high frame rate, most of which is never happening. Blue Ray commonly runs @ 24fps, which is in the HDMI 1.0 specification if i recall. You actually need more bandwidth for ameture video commonly filmed @ 30FPS. As it has 25% more FPS, requiring 25% more bandwidth (not specifically but you get the idea). Video games also commonly run at 30FPS for tv based consoles.

Short story, dont wory about it. Go to frys and get the bargain bin, or get the mono price cables. :) Monster actually has some of the crappiest cables I have had in a while. I cant believe how many of their connectors just fall apart.

H22apower
04-06-2011, 11:57 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^this. I've bought hdmi cables just to see what the difference was between a cheap one and a expensive one(monster) not a difference I actually like the cheaper one I got at marshalls general electronic 17 dollar hdmi cable. Don't believe all the crap they say about "injected gases" just look at what they support and make sure its kinda modern as some can't handle the 3d g. Just adjust all the settings for the hdmi so it looks really crisp.

nelsmar
04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah I prefer the build quality of my 7$ mono price cable over a family members monster cable. His HDMI head fell apart, seriously utter crap. To make a HDMI cable you have to make it to specification, which makes all cables the same.

YuckerDisMe
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I agree with Nelsmar. I only use monoprice HDMI cables. They are alot better quality than you will find at big box stores.

vtakdis
04-12-2011, 09:26 PM
thanks for the input guys i only asked cause i have like 3 dollar ones of amazon