PDA

View Full Version : just bought 98 civic coupe d16y8.HELP!:D

Brian Earl Spilner
04-26-2011, 01:24 PM
like title says
unfamiliar with d series, coming from all b series but anyways wanted to know perks of this engine(d16y8) 60k on stock jdm swap w/5spd
-what would be best tranny fluid?(heard syncromesh,oem honda new fluid,and lucas are best???what do you guys recomend?
-common problems?/easy fixes
-what fluids/treatments; do you use?
-oem upgrades?

will have pics soon!
thanks guys:)

nelsmar
04-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Its an OEM 98 civic engine, just drive it like an OEM civic. I use honda tranny fluid on my car, i use whatever oil on the civic, upgrades? Meh its a D series, enjoy the part where you drive an eco box! Gas gets expensive :D

No need to over complicated the oil situation.

rOkaZ
04-26-2011, 01:51 PM
sell me that engine if you ever decide to go B-series. :)

civic nerd
04-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Its an OEM 98 civic engine, just drive it like an OEM civic. I use honda tranny fluid on my car, i use whatever oil on the civic, upgrades? Meh its a D series, enjoy the part where you drive an eco box! Gas gets expensive :D

Agreed. I used nothing but oem Honda fluids in my Ex and she ran perfectly fine. I miss that car. It saved me so much money in gas!

nyenye09
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Agreed. I used nothing but oem Honda fluids in my Ex and she ran perfectly fine. I miss that car. It saved me so much money in gas!

All this^

OEM honda fluids is the way to go!

in 4 pics...

Mop
04-26-2011, 05:06 PM
jdm y8 bro? sick

RHDavid
04-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Jdm y8s also come stamped "d16a"

gunsup0331
04-27-2011, 11:02 PM
who cares. its pretty hard to fuck up a manual Honda tranny unless you are abusing it

Brian Earl Spilner
04-28-2011, 12:29 AM
for sure

nelsmar
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
who cares. its pretty hard to fuck up a manual Honda tranny unless you are abusing it

Amen, and we tried to blow up a 4 speed once. Fucker still runs. lol. My friend drove w/o using the clutch for like a week straight, still rarely ever grinds. HAHA. The old EF 4 speeds were literally bullet proof.

SlowLS
04-28-2011, 03:14 PM

until your in my shoes.....my axel seal broke, i let it go for a couple weeks(very slow looking leak, boy was i wrong), well apparently i leaked a lot of tranny fluid and now it pops out of 2nd at low RPM's and grinds into 3rd.

nelsmar
04-28-2011, 03:55 PM
until your in my shoes.....my axel seal broke, i let it go for a couple weeks(very slow looking leak, boy was i wrong), well apparently i leaked a lot of tranny fluid and now it pops out of 2nd at low RPM's and grinds into 3rd.

that happened to me once lol... I couldnt get it out of third. Pulled the tranny and the input shaft was at 45 degree's. I ran that sucker for ages without that axle seal. I didn't know it was broken until i pulled the tranny and there was no fluid. I wondered why it felt rugged