PDA

View Full Version : Gaskets..

taketurns
06-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Doing head gaskets on a 96 TL 3.2 for a customer, who is actually a friend. Trying to do it as cheap ass possible, the parts are adding up and he's starting to panic.

Questions are;

Opinions on Multilayer steel HG's vs the one's that are like perforated paper/metal? I've always used the multi layer steel ones, only used the other type on exhaust manifolds. The perforated ones are what were on the car when I pulled the heads off, only one let go, got kinda spongy and deteriorated between the jacket and cylinder which is usually where they fail anyway.

I also had a very hard time finding IM gaskets, when I did only napa could track them down and wanted $120 for the set (2 gaskets). Pretty insane.

I found this kit on ebay, again not my first choice just trying to save him money and I figured since the only head gaskets I could find (beck arnley, fel-pro) were also perforated material type it wouldn't matter.

Here's the kit;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-TL-RL-Legend-V6-3-2L-Head-Gasket-Kit-C35A1-C32A6-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aTLQQhashZitem56413 cb321QQitemZ370461684513QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ 5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3270wt_831

I also broke one of those god damn brittle ass knock sensors in the valley, cheapest I could find was $90, B series looks the same in pictures, however part numbers are slightly different. Any input?

Thanks guys.

Chuck Chainz
06-09-2011, 11:41 PM
well, how much are the oem hg's compared to the others? i dont think i'd play russian roulette with hg's especially on a v6 like that

taketurns
06-09-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm asking about experiences with certain types of gaskets, not prices.

Chuck Chainz
06-10-2011, 12:01 AM
oh, well then on a ford 390 i've used fel-pro with out a hitch, and i believe those where the paper like material, now for my old single cam i just used honda metal hg.

Experience; both

problems; none

Mr.Burner
06-10-2011, 12:25 AM
I'd have to say honda headgaskets on that. Deff dont want to be diving into that project again cause then the guy is really going to freak out...

Parts are parts man, if he cant hang with the price, then tell him to take it to a dealer and really watch him freak.

Like i said. Parts are Parts good quality goes a long way and he should understand that or he needs a bicycle.

On the other hand. I've used cheap Napa 3 layer steel gaskets on b series and d series that were not worth putting any money into and they worked just fine.

ILIKETODRIVE
06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
I'd have to say honda headgaskets on that. Deff dont want to be diving into that project again cause then the guy is really going to freak out...

Parts are parts man, if he cant hang with the price, then tell him to take it to a dealer and really watch him freak.

Like i said. Parts are Parts good quality goes a long way and he should understand that or he needs a bicycle.

All of this.

taketurns
06-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I ordered it, even if I don't use the hg's out of it still saved him about $100.