PDA

View Full Version : exhaust question

89civicdx
06-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Ok I got an 89 civic dx I put 4-2-1 header an 2 1/2" test pipe an a 20" muffler its all free flow my question is it has a raspy sound or as this guy called it a "drone" sound an smokes when reved to high rpms not while driving racin or idling its white ish my oil an coolant are all normal an show no signs of losing any is this normal??

Mr.Burner
06-29-2011, 06:21 PM
From the first thread you made.

Wrong section to be posting this. This should be more of a "hi im new to the site" shit...

As for rasp or "drone" sound, its probably design, muffler choice and back pressure amount.

If its blue out the tail pipe its oil. White could be steam or coolant. Black is fuel.

You need to move this to the tech section homie.

But welcome to the site anyway.

Put a cat back on it and it will kill some of your drone. As for the smoking. Take a small vid or something smoking.

When does it smoke? First start up? All the time? During cruise conditions? High rpm? Hard acceleration?

89civicdx
06-29-2011, 06:33 PM
No doesn't smoke at all unless its reved up to high rpms or after lettin off gas after about 75mph than stops instantly an as for puttin the cat on its to long to put back on would have to cut an weld it shorter due to the header set up an test pipe an I like the drone sound it sounds kinda good that way ya know an I can hear noise in the test pipe but that's normal I'm told an I dunno how to put vids on here if u got a cell I could send u a vid an pic of the exhuast set up just pm me ur num I really appreciate your help wish ya lived closer to kingman

Mr.Burner
06-29-2011, 06:40 PM
What about just getting a smaller magnaflow high flow cat?? there not that expensive...

How many miles are on this so called smoking engine?

Mr.Burner
06-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Ok after seeing the vid you sent me this is what i want you to do.

Replay your vid and at the 11 second mark you see how it starts to just poor smoke? Start it up give it the same rev's till she smokes then shut the car off and quickly pull all the spark plugs, disconnect your distributor (this is a must) and have someone crank the engine and see which hole the smoke pumps out of.

This will give you a quicker direction as to what cyl its coming from. Maybe take a vid of that to.

89civicdx
06-30-2011, 12:27 AM
So ur thinkin I have a bad piston ring? An ok I'll do it first thing tomorrow mornin

Mr.Burner
07-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Could be a ring or ringlang, valve seals, valve guides.
post it up!!

89civicdx
07-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Well I took the intake gasket off an it showed signs of blowin right where the inlet for the intake was an that bolt next to it had water rust on it so it was leakin cooloant into my intake so I replaced it with a new one an gonna check tomorrow by revin it up to see if that cured my problem if not ima run some head an coolant system shit into it till I replace the head with a vtec one