PDA

View Full Version : Copper Head Gasket Install Question

Rzarectah
07-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I just purchased a copper head gasket from CGU in Peoria and I installed it lastnight with no success. The engine is an F22B2 and the standard thickness is .026, I opted for a .050 copper one as I am building the engine for boost. I had my head milled down flat and sprayed permatex copper sealer on both sides of the gasket before the install. My question is, has anyone here built an engine using copper head gaskets? And if so, did you use the same ft/lbs as with a regular gasket?

Mr.Burner
07-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Why the fuck are you using a copper gasket and not a factory honda one? I know you got if for a thickness difference but you coulda just bought a cometic MLS. And copper spray is a waste of time aswell. If your trying to drop compression just replace the pistons.

And the place you got it from should be able to tell you if torquing load changes.

A good tune will work just fine with a factory oem gasket....

Rzarectah
07-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I can worry about the pistons when I build my block, I know that's the main way of changing the comp on engines and the gasket is just another way to do it. But unfortunately the company I got it from doesn't really give advice on the torque specs due to liability issues. What I do know is that many drag V8s use these with no problems. I ought to be able to too.

DOHCTUNER
07-07-2011, 09:35 PM
If i remember right the reason they use Copper gaskets is if they are having problems with sealing the cooling system.. or if the head is a different thickness on each side of the block... I could be wrong but I think thats what i read in a muscle car mag. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Rzarectah
07-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Makes sense now that you mention it, sounds pretty logical. Either way the damn things are supposed to work lol. I'm gonna crank down on it some more and see if that helps out. If not, then I'll take the head back off and start from square one..

DOHCTUNER
07-07-2011, 10:05 PM
I wouldnt just crank down on it. I would see if the company that makes the head gasket can provide you with torque specs or just use a OEM one. The OEM will hold up fine to boost.

Mr.Burner
07-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Not sealing possibly do to the block being a free floating sleeve? The gasket has more work to do trying to seal up shifting cylinders. GL with it.

Also cranking down past the recommended 70ft lbs will eventually pull the threads out of the block.

DOHCTUNER
07-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Not sealing possibly do to the block being a free floating sleeve? The gasket has more work to do trying to seal up shifting cylinders. GL with it.

Also cranking down past the recommended 70ft lbs will eventually pull the threads out of the block.

Thanks Learned something...Thought it had something to do with the coolant system.

Rzarectah
07-08-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm gonna take the time this weekend to find out. I'll let you guys know what I find.