PDA

View Full Version : d17 turbo question

USDM_Boobies
07-16-2011, 05:03 AM
im looking for more power out of my engine its a non vtec d17 i have about 1500 to spend and from searching on the web bolt ons such as intake and exhast won't give me that much. If i bought a ebay turbo and put it on the one im looking at says 7psi stock. can i run rsx-s injecters and a fuel pump with out a fuel managment system or will it not work? from what i see so far i think i need one and arp head studs. if im looking at all that stuff i need im looking at over 1500 i think but not by much. any help would be great let me know. oh yeah id prob need a tune on top which would def push it past 1500 i think

failedabortion
07-16-2011, 04:36 PM
You need kpro which is $1k by itself new...

Rufus
07-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Agreed. I had about 3k into mine when my 03EX was boosted. Kpro being the most expensive as you need the cam
gear too

USDM_Boobies
07-16-2011, 06:26 PM
what would u suggest if i have a 1500 ish budget with out going nos? pls keep in mind i do not know how to work on cars very well

failedabortion
07-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Keeping the drivetrain stock and dropping the car or selling it and adding the 1500 towards another vehicle.

USDM_Boobies
07-16-2011, 06:49 PM
my car is prob only worth 5k trade in tops. and 6k private sale tops id like to keep it now that ive bought a few things for it but i want a lil more power outa it. anyone else got any suggestions if im going the route of keeping the car if nos and turbo are not options

failedabortion
07-16-2011, 10:08 PM
You wont get any more power out of it without kpro...there are ghetto ways around kpro when turboing but have proven to be unreliable. Pretty sure infracted has ran a turbo d17, and my car was turboed before I bought it.

You are going to have to spend more then 1500 to get any power out of this engine. Then comes the problems with the trans...I myslef have been through two and I think infracted mentioned going through more than two. If you have an auto good luck...manual will last longer but I toasted my second one in 12k miles.

I've spent over 20 hours probably researching ways to get more power out of it...and don't even want to know how much infracted has.

Throw an ex trans in if you're manual...should be a little peppier(sp).

Maybe someone else has some better info for you.

USDM_Boobies
07-18-2011, 10:45 AM
would a vtec a2 head help since mine is non vtec and can i bypass getting a ecu with a vafc controller? when i purchuse a a2 head on ebay or craigslist what do i need to make sure it has?

Rufus
07-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Allow me to be the definitive answer. I spent 6 years with that platform before mine burnt down.

The only "safe" way to get more power is boost or swap. Even boost is tough as you basically have the shittiest econobox Honda ever put out. Even with thousands into my setup, I was still popping headgaskets on headstuds. It's a headache. I killed 3 motors and 2 trannies before mine burnt down at 185K miles. Thankfully the turbo was long gone by that point.

If this is your daily driver, buy another car to play with. You will absolutely want to kill yourself dealing with problems, especially if you're not great working on cars.

The pics are gone now but here was a thread I made when I did one of many HG replacements:

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-gen/308762-headgasket-replacement-some-peekchurs.html

Rufus
07-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Here's a parts list from when I was boosted. I'm sure I added more before the fire..

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/22-site-news/308825-winner-rotm-june-rufus.html