PDA

View Full Version : does this look right???

HEADSHOT
07-22-2011, 07:57 PM
doing valve adjustments and i noticed this. it seemed to run ok like this. im sure one degree off on the intake or exhaust isnt going to have a disastrous effect. but im thinking theres something that could use a quick adjustment.

HEADSHOT
07-24-2011, 02:00 PM
anyone know if, just by looking that those cams are right or wrong?

Dead Bird
07-24-2011, 02:04 PM
judging from the cam caps, I'm guessing it's an LS?

If it is, they should be lined up perfectly.

Was this picture taken with the tdc mark on the crank pulley lined up perfectly? Because if it's not perfect, the cam gears can be slightly off like pictured.

DarkAngel
07-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Look here: http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148691&highlight=timing

If you can mark the notches on the gears for where they line up in the middle. Makes it a whole lot easier for ya. Just use white out or some white paint. Go back to TDC and recheck.

Dead Bird
07-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh actually I wasn't paying enough attention at first glance.

1. Yes they should be perfectly even.

2. Rotate motor until crank marking and cam gear marking are all at top dead center. If the two lines that face eachother on the cam gears aren't aligned perfectly, it should be redone. Depending on miles of everything, would be an opportune time to get a new timing belt and tensioner.

bumpstick
07-24-2011, 02:10 PM
being a tooth off doesn't mean a degree or two, it's more than that. 360/number of teeth = degrees per tooth.

DarkAngel
07-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Oh actually I wasn't paying enough attention at first glance.

1. Yes they should be perfectly even.

2. Rotate motor until crank marking and cam gear marking are all at top dead center. If the two lines that face eachother on the cam gears aren't aligned perfectly, it should be redone. Depending on miles of everything, would be an opportune time to get a new timing belt and tensioner.

A Water pump too maybe......

I remember I went through all the steps and was off by one. Just go back and redo it. Harder if you are alone but I had another helping hand.

Dead Bird
07-24-2011, 04:23 PM
A Water pump too maybe......

I remember I went through all the steps and was off by one. Just go back and redo it. Harder if you are alone but I had another helping hand.

And oil pump and front main seal and ya

HEADSHOT
07-24-2011, 07:30 PM
i didnt do it. just threw this motor in and am doing all the tune up stuff to it. i have a new timing belt just hanging out in the garage.

umm. how hard is it to do all this work without the plastic timing covers? the guy i bought it from didnt have them.

Nachooooosupreme
07-24-2011, 07:47 PM
It looks fine. My dohc zc cam gears looked identical to yours and it ran strong. Is it not idling or are you having any issues?

HEADSHOT
07-24-2011, 08:10 PM
it idles a litth funny. but that could be because i have the d series iacv on it.

Dead Bird
07-24-2011, 08:25 PM
i didnt do it. just threw this motor in and am doing all the tune up stuff to it. i have a new timing belt just hanging out in the garage.

umm. how hard is it to do all this work without the plastic timing covers? the guy i bought it from didnt have them.

There's a mark on your oil pump, and on your crank pulley you line up. Line them up, line up the cam gears like normal, and you're set.

Just as easy, if not easier(plastics outta the way) than if you had the plastics. Only thing is you can't check electrical timing (rotating the dizzy with the service clip in), but usually in the middle should be about fine.

gunsup0331
07-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Cam gear marks should be perfectly aligned with each other AND the plane of the head. Keep in mind your head usually will be a bit canted.

pplh8r
07-24-2011, 10:12 PM
If the car is running on an OBD2 computer and the cam was off by a tooth you would probably end up with a check engine light.

by looking at the picture your in the middle of doing the valve adjustment ? you should finish up with the adjustment and then turn the motor to TDC to check the markings.

BTW you can also turn the motor to TDC and if you look closely you will find some holes on the cam caps which will also line up with holes in the cams. If you turn the motor to TDC and cannot stick a dowl in each cam then you have a problem !

ohh and dont forget to take the dowels out before attempting to move the motor again !!!

HEADSHOT
07-25-2011, 09:34 AM
where is the TDC mark on the ls motor? is it on the crank pulley? or the crank timing belt gear? im trying to figure out if i can do this without taking the pulley off

Dead Bird
07-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Both should have one to be honest....

Click on the link that dark angel provided.

Has perfect directions on how to properly do timing including pictures of where all the marks are and torque specs

DarkAngel
07-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Both should have one to be honest....

Click on the link that dark angel provided.

Has perfect directions on how to properly do timing including pictures of where all the marks are and torque specs

X2...... Comes directly from the PDF Manual's that are floating around for all 3rd Gen Tegs.

Go here for directions on what to do to download the Honda/Acura Manual/s. Never know you may find another you are looking for as well.

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=147400

DarkAngel
07-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Cam gear marks should be perfectly aligned with each other AND the plane of the head. Keep in mind your head usually will be a bit canted.

Thats what threw me off the first time but the second time was a charm.

where is the TDC mark on the ls motor? is it on the crank pulley? or the crank timing belt gear? im trying to figure out if i can do this without taking the pulley off

Hmmm I don't think so. It will be very hard to tell with the pulley on.

Wait I just realized this isn't a B Series is it..... If it isn't then download the correct manual from what I provided up top.

HEADSHOT
07-25-2011, 02:22 PM
yeah its a b series. i got the whole thing corrected. took less time to do it then to read about it.

im guessing the engine was driven like this for a while because once i set the timing back to correct, i hear this metallic noise from the engine that wasnt there before. so i thinking i have a few bad valves.

would a compression test be the next thing to do??

pplh8r
07-26-2011, 12:07 AM
If you are missing the bottom plastic cover it will be nearly impossible to tell if you are lined up on TDC if you still have the pulley on .

Both the pulley and the timing belt drive pulley have marks. The outer belt pulley is meant to be used with the plastic cover mark and the timing belt drive pulley is meant to be used with the mark on the oil pump.
does that make sense ?

wiith the outer belt pulley on I dont think you would be able to even see the mark on the oil pump.

HEADSHOT
07-26-2011, 08:04 AM
yeah i had never taken one off before so i was a little hesitant. but its done now. HOWEVER. now that its timed correctly i seed to have a metallic noise around my low to mid range throttle. im gonna pull the plugs and check timing again. but i think im going to proceed with a compression check. hopefully its just some bent valves.

HEADSHOT
07-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Update!!!!

compression test readings are in

cyl.
1 -------------------190
2 -------------------190
3 -------------------188
4 -------------------200

other then cylinder 4 being 1 psi over spec. im gonna assume that the gauge has a small margin of error.

so it would appear that ominous sound is coming from something else. any suggestions?

taketurns
08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Dude..you're asking someone to diagnose a noise without hearing it? Haha, do you also use telepathy to communicate? Come on dude.

As far as the cam timing, the head may have been resurfaced. Check the timing gear with the oil pump, get it dead on balls then check the cams again.

Acurazor
08-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Looks like it might be ok. Rotate crank till "UP" arrows are pointing up and see if the two lines line up that face inward. Post another pic. If it is off it's very easy to fix.

taketurns
08-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Looks like it might be ok. Rotate crank till "UP" arrows are pointing up and see if the two lines line up that face inward. Post another pic. If it is off it's very easy to fix.

The up arrows are meaningless, they just let you know which way tdc is. Line up the crank at tdc, then look at the lines. If its a half tooth, the head has been machined, if its a full tooth its off.

HEADSHOT
08-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Dude..you're asking someone to diagnose a noise without hearing it? Haha, do you also use telepathy to communicate? Come on dude.

As far as the cam timing, the head may have been resurfaced. Check the timing gear with the oil pump, get it dead on balls then check the cams again.

wow, thanks for the sarcasm. i need to be reminded often that i chose to be associated with soooo many people that would rather be an assclown to make themselves feel the superior over a person in need. But hey you are doing better then they guy who has to bum rides to work, so you got that going for ya.

taketurns
08-04-2011, 12:39 AM
wow, thanks for the sarcasm. i need to be reminded often that i chose to be associated with soooo many people that would rather be an assclown to make themselves feel the superior over a person in need. But hey you are doing better then they guy who has to bum rides to work, so you got that going for ya.

Lighten up man it was a joke holy shit.