PDA

View Full Version : Best meal replacement?

CTD-FAB
07-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Hey guys, just thought I would ask what the best meal replacement out there is.

Most of the time at the shop I can't just run off and eat and its a pain sometimes to prepare stuff. What is cost effective and would provide a some decent nutrition. I don't care about taste and something powdered and ready to mix is cool.

Help please!!!

Spec C
07-25-2011, 06:40 PM
What are your dietary needs? If you can tell me what a typical meal is, I can try and point you in the right direction in the way of a pre-made product that would fit your goals. Ie. I don't want to recommend you something with a ton of carbs, if you are watching your carb intake.

However I would be inclined to say just make your own. This way you can control exactly what is in it, and what quantity.

Preferably start with a good, high quaitly protein powder. I like a blend containing casein as it is more satiating, and gives you a slower release of amino. Some oats(in desired quantity), and desired amount of fat in the form of peanutbutter, almond butter, or EVOO.

For oats you can use straight up rolled oats, or even flavored oats. Something like this is good if you want to keep the sugar low.
http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oatmeal/weight-control/maple-and-brown-sugar.aspx

Or you can use something like this for the carb source.
http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=23&pid=6828

If you have a fridge in the shop, a few cartons of liquid egg whites are always a good addition, to any shake, in order to easily bump protein content from a whole food source.

Very easy to make on the spot at the shop. A good shaker cup/blender bottle, or magic bullet, etc is all that is needed.

Spec C
07-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Some options for the mean time is:

Ultra Peptide 2.0
http://sportsnutritiononline.com/xtreme-formulations-ultra-peptide-2-0-2lb.html
This stuff tastes incredible, and is made with a high quality protein blend.

If more protein is needed just add .25-.5 cup liquid egg whites to this, and you have yourself a great tasting meal replacement. If you need some carbs add some.

I just ordered lemon cream, and cinnamon roll for my night time shake.
---------------------
Core MRP
http://sportsnutritiononline.com/meal-replacements/core-mrp-3lbs-5oz-22-servings.html

Solid ingredient profile. Never tried it.
------------------------------------
SAN Infusion:
http://sportsnutritiononline.com/meal-replacements/san-infusion-15-serving-2-42-lb.html

Also never tried it, but looks good on paper.

rushbuster70
07-25-2011, 07:56 PM
I use Body By Vi.I love it!Milk,Banana & the powder does it for me

taggart_lumpy
07-25-2011, 07:58 PM
a good woman

Spec C
07-25-2011, 08:09 PM
I use Body By Vi.I love it!Milk,Banana & the powder does it for me
What are the ingredients? How much is it? That site looks like another one of those pyramid/MLM schemes.

rushbuster70
07-26-2011, 06:53 AM
What are the ingredients? How much is it? That site looks like another one of those pyramid/MLM schemes.

well people can sell it which is why it looks like that.obivously thats your choice.

i love the stuff though.my buddy actually lost about 60lbs in around 4-5 months using it and still has the weight off.but he replaced every meal daily and was exercising his butt of since he was super heavy.i've lost about 25lbs so far on it replacing 1-2 meals daily and i've been doing it for about 2 months.obviously i've changed the way i eat and i also try to exercise daily(doesnt always happen though) but this stuff cleans you out when you 1st start (doesnt give you the runs lol) and after it obviously will keep you regular.

I bought a package that is about 2 months worth for about 100 bucks.could be pricey.but i saw my friend do it and figured i'd givie it a shot.after the initial 100 for 2 months you can order monthly for 45 bucks.again i figure why not because 45 bucks for around a month of meals is pretty damn cheap.

Overall i'm happy with my results.cant complain.i will definitely continue to use.My goal weight is 185lbs and I started at 275.As of today i'm 250.

Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Calcium
Iron
Vitamin D
Vitamin E
Vitamin K
thiamin
Riboflavin
Niacin
Vitamin B6
Folate
Vitamin B12
Biotin
pantothenic acid
Phosphorus
Iodine
Magnesium
Zinc
Selenium
Copper
Manganese
Chromium
Molybdenum

Soy Protein Isolate,
Digestive Resistant
Maltodextrin
Whey Protein Hydrolysate
Whey Protein Concentrate,
DiCalcium Phosphate,
Sunflower Oil,
Medium Chain Triglycerides,
Maltodextrin,
Gum Arabic
Xanthan Gum,
Sodium Caseinate,
DiMagnesium Phosphate,
Magnesium Oxide
Soy Lecithin
Mono and Diglycerides
DiPotassium Phosphate
Sucralose
Ascorbic Acid
Vitamin E Acetate
Chromium Amino Acid Chelate
Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate
Selenium Amino Acid Chelate
Biotin,
Vitamin A Palimate
Niacinamide
Potassium Iodide
Zinc Oxide
Copper Gluconate
Calcium Pantothenate
Cyanocobalamin
Manganese Sulfate
Cholecalciferol
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
Thiamin Mononitrate
Riboflavin,
Phytomenadione
Folic Acid

Spec C
07-26-2011, 08:37 AM
well people can sell it which is why it looks like that.obivously thats your choice.

i love the stuff though.my buddy actually lost about 60lbs in around 4-5 months using it and still has the weight off.but he replaced every meal daily and was exercising his butt of since he was super heavy.i've lost about 25lbs so far on it replacing 1-2 meals daily and i've been doing it for about 2 months.obviously i've changed the way i eat and i also try to exercise daily(doesnt always happen though) but this stuff cleans you out when you 1st start (doesnt give you the runs lol) and after it obviously will keep you regular.

I bought a package that is about 2 months worth for about 100 bucks.could be pricey.but i saw my friend do it and figured i'd givie it a shot.after the initial 100 for 2 months you can order monthly for 45 bucks.again i figure why not because 45 bucks for around a month of meals is pretty damn cheap.

Overall i'm happy with my results.cant complain.i will definitely continue to use.My goal weight is 185lbs and I started at 275.As of today i'm 250.

I am glad you are having good results with it, at the end of the day that is what is important. However you could have the same results, with any protein product, that is likely a fraction of the price. It just comes down to consuming less calories then you are burning. There is nothing really unique here.

My only real issue with most of these types of "companies" is they make everything sound so revolutionary/novel when in fact it is just a basic run of the mill protein shake, often times with cheap forms of protein(ie. Soy based), and fillers(ie. Maltodextrin listed before 2 protein sources), and you are paying more for the MLM aspect of it.

These types of companies play on emotion. You watched your friend lose xx amount of weight, and attribute it to the shake, when in reality he could be drinking chocolate milk, and if it is in the right quantity losing the same amount of weight.

How many servings come in 1 package for $45 ? I would assume 30 by your post.

Don't take this the wrong way, as I am just trying to make you aware of this, and help you out. This is the way the industry works, unfortunately. Again, if you enjoy it, and believe in it, then do whatever it takes for you to reach your goals.

D-

rushbuster70
07-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Its all good...I appreciate your thoughts because your exactly right.I saw it work for him and said well i'm gonna try it and see if it works for me.Emotional buying is a huge factor in certain industries.I know how that works being in sales for years.

I wont lie.I dont know everything that goes into protein shakes.I did try a few after looking into some things but had no luck at all with them.So I was glad this worked for me after trying it.

$45 Package = 60 Servings which I thought was a pretty good price.Maybe its not lol.

Oh this stuff taste bomb by the way.The powder taste like cake mix.Freaking bommb lol.

Spec C
07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
I wont lie.I dont know everything that goes into protein shakes.I did try a few after looking into some things but had no luck at all with them.So I was glad this worked for me after trying it.
Some people just need a little something to believe in, in order to get the ball rolling. And IMO if that is what it takes to get the ball rolling, on changing your life then so be it. The point is you are making a change for the better, and that is a great thing.

In regards to the other products you used, what do you mean by no luck exactly?

How are you using this product? Are you eating a few whole meals, and replacing one with a shake? Or just drinking 2 of these a day?

The price thing comes down to this. Soy protein retail is roughly $3-4 a LB, maltodextrin is roughly $2 a lb. So for example if I go to somewhere like true-protein and make a custom blend similar(not exact) to this it would be roughly $5 a lb, 10lbs is $53(150 servings). Just for a quick example.

Can you tell me how many grams of protein are in 1 serving(ie. to get 60 servings, how many grams of protein are in each)

rushbuster70
07-26-2011, 09:22 AM
In regards to previously I just wasnt dropping weight.I was actually more active before.Exercised more and even was lifting weights then.Now i only do in home stuff.I have the Tower 200,jump rope,stretching,some in home cardio movements.nothing near as much as I use to do.I ate similiar to how I eat now.

I use the product to replace 1 meal or sometimes 2 meals daily.Just depends on my schedule.

There are 12G of protein per scoop.You normally use 2 scoops per shake so I guess 24 plus I use 2% Milk so whatever is included in there.

Spec C
07-26-2011, 09:53 AM
There are 12G of protein per scoop.You normally use 2 scoops per shake so I guess 24 plus I use 2% Milk so whatever is included in there.
ahh see so there is only legitimately 30 servings. 12g of protein is not really a serving.

It is hard to comment on your other experiences as I am not sure exactly what you were using, how much exercise, etc.

One thing to look at for the future is this. Protein per serving x servings so lets say 12g x 60= 720g protein in the entire "container". $45/720g=$.063/G .063 x 450=$28/lb or $1.50 per serving. So $28/lb for very cheap $3-4 protein content. Now obviously you are not paying $28/lb as there are other ingredients, but protein content is typically the majority of the formula, and should be the focus.

Lets take one of the above products for a quick comparison, and I will use one of the most expensive ones.

Ultra Peptide: 18g per servings, 24 servings, $25
18 x 24= 432g $25/432= .058 .058 x 450= $26.1/lb So roughly $2 cheaper per lb. However, the sources of protein are literally 2-3x more expensive. Micellar casein(the main source) is $11/lb, and most isolates are 9-10. Both forms are FAR superior to soy, and concentrate.

You can see that both of these products share damn near almost the same ingredients other then the most costly ones.

Soy Protein Isolate, Digestive Resistant, Maltodextrin, Whey Protein Hydrolysate
Whey Protein Concentrate, DiCalcium Phosphate, Sunflower Oil, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Maltodextrin, Gum Arabic, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Caseinate, DiMagnesium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Soy Lecithin, Mono and Diglycerides, DiPotassium Phosphate, Sucralose, Ascorbic Acid
Protein Blend: (Pure Undenatured Low Temperature Processed Micellar Casein, Whey Protein Isolate), Sunflower Oil, Sodium Caseinate, Mono And Diglycerides, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Silicon Dioxide, Fructose, Rice Oligodextrins, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Maltodextrin, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Modified Food Starch, Creatine Monohydrate, Potassium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin, Acesulfame-K, Sucralose So very similar, FAR better, more costly forms of protein, and $31 dollars(calculated off $25 for 24 servings) for the same 30 servings. And I would wager tastes better.

Over all the body by Vi shake isn't bad, just wish they used some better protein sources. It is like the difference between eating a mcdonalds hamburger, and a filet mignon.

Funny thing is the way the supplement industry works is most "brands" are nothing more then marketing companies. They aren't involved in the production. They take care of the advertising, and marketing of their products. There are a few production facilities that handle a large percentage of the manufacturing for the whole industry. They manufacturer it, slap a shiny label on it, and send it out to distributors. These 2 products could easily be made in the same facility..lol

rushbuster70
07-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Absolutely man...I bet most of these things are made in the same place lol.Its all about selling it to the public & there marketing to people.

I thought the average protein needed was 12-25G daily?Maybe I'm way off.That was just info I had read.

How many products have you tried & tasted? I've tried a few and really didnt have good luck with taste with no matter what I put in them.At least with Body By Vi I can throw some milk & the powder and be on my way.Dont always have to mix in any sort of fruit.

Spec C
07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Absolutely man...I bet most of these things are made in the same place lol.Its all about selling it to the public & there marketing to people.

I thought the average protein needed was 12-25G daily?Maybe I'm way off.That was just info I had read.

How many products have you tried & tasted? I've tried a few and really didnt have good luck with taste with no matter what I put in them.At least with Body By Vi I can throw some milk & the powder and be on my way.Dont always have to mix in any sort of fruit.
I have been lifting for about a decade off and on, so I have tried probably damn near every protein on the market be it in sample, or over the course of the years. The flavor systems have come a long way in recent times, everything used to taste like shit back then..lol

Taste is not as important to me as what is inside of it, but some products contain crap, and taste like crap too...lol Ultra Peptide, is probably one of if not the best tasting proteins out there IMO. I haven't tried these 2 flavors yet(cinnamon roll/lemon cream), but the banana cream is ridiculous.

I just mix my shakes in water most of the time, or almond milk/egg whites lately. And don't really consume many shakes anyway, usually just at night as almost a treat.

12-25g of protein a day is SUPER low. Unless you are a toddler..lol Protein when compared to the other macros, has a high thermal effect, and will in turn help burn fat.

A fairly traditional macro spit would be 40% pro/40% carbs/ 20% fat so figure if you are eating 1500 calories(just an example) 600 calories, or 150grams should come from protein following this logic.

I typically aim for 50% protein, as I typically eat lower carb. Probably closer to 50p/15c/35f

rushbuster70
07-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Whoops...I think I was looking at the protein intake for kids then.I was looking at some food site stuff for my son.Probably where that came from.

Maybe i'll look into check into Ulta Peptide.How much is it?Where do you buy it?

Spec C
07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Whoops...I think I was looking at the protein intake for kids then.I was looking at some food site stuff for my son.Probably where that came from.

Maybe i'll look into check into Ulta Peptide.How much is it?Where do you buy it?

Can you tell me how many calories your shake has in 1 serving? I cant really find the label for it.

All i can find is this, which says it has 12g protein for 2 scoops, and 90 cal. But you has said 2 scoops is 12g protein each= 24g pro? If it really only has 12g per 2 scoops, and 60 servings, that is worse then I thought in terms of "rape-age"..lol
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/body-by-vi-protein-shake-4884136
http://dailyburn.com/nutrition/visalus_sciences_body_by_vi_calories

If you are replacing 2 meals a day for example with 2, 90 calorie shakes, it is no wonder why you guys are losing a tremendous amount of weight.

rushbuster70
07-26-2011, 12:40 PM
I might have been wrong about the protein intake.i'll look at the bag when I get home...

8-10 ounces of 2% milk so about 130-150 calories there
1 banana so anywhere from 100-150 calories i believe.

Spec C
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
I might have been wrong about the protein intake.i'll look at the bag when I get home...

8-10 ounces of 2% milk so about 130-150 calories there
1 banana so anywhere from 100-150 calories i believe.
Cool, post when you get home, as I am curious now..lol

rushbuster70
07-26-2011, 12:47 PM
im also going to look deeper into the ingredients because something makes me feel full.well not full.but like i dont need more food.i'm assuming something in there does that and that obviously has something to do with the weight loss considering i'm kind of a big guy lol.

Spec C
07-26-2011, 01:28 PM
im also going to look deeper into the ingredients because something makes me feel full.well not full.but like i dont need more food.i'm assuming something in there does that and that obviously has something to do with the weight loss considering i'm kind of a big guy lol.
Fiber will help with this to some degree.

You can add 5g or so of psyllium husk to your shakes, for the same effect. It is DIRT cheap.
http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=23&pid=6808
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/now-foods/whole-psyllium-husk-24-oz.html

They use "fibersol"
http://www.amazon.com/Twinlab-FiberSol-Powder-10-Ounces/dp/B0009KMI1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311711985&sr=8-1

In Ultra peptide the addition of a bit more fats, and micellar casein will also help increase satiety.

LiLinsane
07-26-2011, 02:43 PM
make a protein shake, get your powder and mix all your other nuts in there, drop a bananna and some milk a few berrys in a blender good to go.

LiLinsane
07-26-2011, 02:44 PM
its thick, and takes a few glasses to get used to, but super healthy - and when i drink one of those i can last like 4+ hours.

j-dizzle
07-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Theres like 30I walls-o-text in here so im not even gonna try to read it all just gonna throw out my meal replacement idea.

Pussy...

/thread!

rushbuster70
07-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Can you tell me how many calories your shake has in 1 serving? I cant really find the label for it.

If you are replacing 2 meals a day for example with 2, 90 calorie shakes, it is no wonder why you guys are losing a tremendous amount of weight.

looks like this is correct...45 per scoop.so its 6g of protein per scoop

Spec C
07-26-2011, 09:15 PM
looks like this is correct...45 per scoop.so its 6g of protein per scoop
Got ya. Crikey.

rushbuster70
07-27-2011, 06:16 AM
so whats the prob with it?

Spec C
07-27-2011, 07:23 AM
so whats the prob with it?

No real problem other then being extremely over priced for what it is. Even more so then my initial calculations.

rushbuster70
07-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Lol gotcha...Any place locally to but the stuff you use?

Spec C
07-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Lol gotcha...Any place locally to but the stuff you use?

I'm not sure honestly.

You could make an awesome blend at truprotein for that kind of money. With super high quality protein.

Trutein is another good premade option. For $45 you would get 67 servings containing 25g of protein. So it would last 67 days at 1 serving/day or 134 days only using 12g servings a day.
http://sportsnutritiononline.com/tns-trutein-5-lb.html

rushbuster70
07-27-2011, 09:34 AM
so if all im doing is trying to lose weight does more protein matter? i dont exactly understand how that works

Spec C
07-27-2011, 09:40 AM
so if all im oing is trying to lose weight does more protein matter? i dont exactly understand how that works

Well it is more per serving but you can use a half serving.

And yes it does matter. Protein has a high thermal effect, it also has 4 calories per gram to fats 9.

Protein is also muscle sparing.

Ideally you want more calories coming from protein then carbs or fat. over all calorie intake/control is going to be the main thing, then dividing that into a preferable ratio of macros.

rushbuster70
07-27-2011, 09:57 AM
wow...now i'm thinking about trying a different type and see if it helps me drop more weight.the 1-2 meals i eat are usually fairly balanced meals.but basically continue to drop the calories i'm getting in fat & carbs and up the protein a bit.

Spec C
07-27-2011, 12:27 PM
wow...now i'm thinking about trying a different type and see if it helps me drop more weight.the 1-2 meals i eat are usually fairly balanced meals.but basically continue to drop the calories i'm getting in fat & carbs and up the protein a bit.
What do you eat in a typical day?

How has fat loss been? Roughly how many lbs/wk?

rushbuster70
07-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Just depends on the day...

Some days I eat 2 meals some days 1.

Breakfast is usually is either the body by vi shake or oatmeal

lunch either body by vi shake,leftovers.,subway

dinner,this usually balanced,usually chicken/veggies & sometimes a side of carbs such as potato/mac n cheese (my sons fav) occasionally hot dogs/hamburgers/burrito's,nothing too exciting.i'm not the best cook lol...

i drink tons of water.usually at least 64 ounces minimum daily and no soda...gave it a few months back

CTD-FAB
07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info! quite a bit of reading,haha

Guess its time to do some online shopping

rushbuster70
08-02-2011, 01:44 PM
^yea me too man...i'm about to go full meal replacements on shakes only for a week and see how much weight i drop with that & just fruit.damn this is gonna be hard lol.i've lost 25lbs using 1-2 per day though in about 2 months

Spec C
08-02-2011, 03:18 PM
^yea me too man...i'm about to go full meal replacements on shakes only for a week and see how much weight i drop with that & just fruit.damn this is gonna be hard lol.i've lost 25lbs using 1-2 per day though in about 2 months
Just make sure that you are eating the same, or less calories. You could drink all shakes but if it is more calories then you are burning, you won't lose weight.

Are you giving yourself 1 cheat meal a week?

Broskiballa
08-02-2011, 03:27 PM
I drink nothing but water. Give or a take a few glasses of oj/milk. I drink absolutely no soda. I have been like this since I was young. I was really picky with soda and fake juices and candy (Never had a cavity). I've noticed that with meals that I make at home. Usually pasta, beans, rice, tortilla, with the occasional splurging with snacks and pizza all that bs. I have been able to always stay very fit. I work out every other day and keep it that way. I also have a full time job and I play drums. I have never been more fit in my entire life. I have 0 health issues except for 1 bad ear from tubes as a child.

Little info:
I have always lived in AZ.
22 years old
Male
half Greek/ half Hispanic
6'0 tall.
Never played any sports before or during highschool.
I have a office job. So I indeed do sit alot.

I think that anyone can have a balanced healthy lifestyle if they don't over eat and attempt to stay active some how.
People with health issues are all tied to lifestyle. End of story.

P.S. bored at work. Im probably off topic. However thought i would toss a comment up in here. Cheers!

Broskiballa
08-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Oh and as another thing. Calorie counting is bogus. Think of this. You reduce the amount of calories you take in right?
Sounds like you will loose weight. WRONG. If you reduce the amount. Your body will indeed start to store more fat to ensure that you will not starve if you take more away.

In addition, being physical will bring the most change. Slowly change your eating habits to eat more in the mornings and way less in the evenings (depending your schedule).

Also. cholesterol being bad. Fat being bad, sugar being bad. Bogus!

Your brain is made up of a huge percentage of cholesterol. So reducing your intake on it would be stupid. Who's idea was that? Your body runs off the energy provided in sugar and fats.

Calories, People think its fat. Its not. Calories are points of measurement of energy. The less calories you take in the less energy you will have. You will fill tired and fatigue. You need to eat as much as you need to when its necessary as you go through out the day.

My suggestion is to eat 5 times a day. With enough food that will fit in one of your hands. You will not starve, and do not count calories. At the same time. I wouldn't suggest eating a handful of fries. Do more food research :P

Spec C
08-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Oh and as another thing. Calorie counting is bogus. Think of this. You reduce the amount of calories you take in right?
Sounds like you will loose weight. WRONG. If you reduce the amount. Your body will indeed start to store more fat to ensure that you will not starve if you take more away.

LOL.. It doesn't work this way.. Especially in someone who is overweight. Your body doesn't see a reduction in calories and all of a sudden think it is starving...Sorry.

Have you ever seen countries where people are legitimately starving? Do they have an obesity problem?

But that is besides the point. We not talking about starving, we are talking about a reduction in calories to bring you 500calories(for ex) under your RMR + exercise. This is not starving.

In addition, being physical will bring the most change. Slowly change your eating habits to eat more in the mornings and way less in the evenings (depending your schedule).

Diet is much more important then physical activity/cardio when we are talking about fat loss. But it all comes down to calories. You could run 10 miles a day, and burn 2000 calories through running, with an RMR of 3000 calories(2000+3000=5000calories to maintain weight), but if you are eating 10k calories you are going to gain fat.

All physical activity is doing is increasing your expenditure, it effectively does the same thing as reducing calories that you eat.

Both together, are the best, obviously.

Also. cholesterol being bad. Fat being bad, sugar being bad. Bogus!

Your brain is made up of a huge percentage of cholesterol. So reducing your intake on it would be stupid. Who's idea was that? Your body runs off the energy provided in sugar and fats.

You are speaking in generalities. "reducing" is relative, to what you are eating before. If you are eating 5k calories a day of nothing but sugar and fat, you certainly can reduce both, in lieu of more protein, and to bring total calories down. Ideally you wouldn't want to eat 50 grams of protein a day, while consuming 300g of carbs, and 200g of fat.

I do agree you can eat sugar if everything is in check. And you certainly don't want to eliminate all fat from your diet, but I would typically try and get fat from good sources. I generally FEEL better when I am eating a lot of EFA's

I am more concerned with nutrient timing, and hitting certain macros for optimal fat-loss/muscle gain, personally.

Calories, People think its fat. Its not. Calories are points of measurement of energy. The less calories you take in the less energy you will have. You will fill tired and fatigue. You need to eat as much as you need to when its necessary as you go through out the day.

Not true. Calories are a unit of measure, yes. But as for the tired and fatigued comment, that is how you burn fat(ie. taking in less then you burn).. You are taking in less energy then you are expending so your body dips into your fat stores, and glycogen, for energy. You can be on reduced calories, and have a ton of energy. You still have energy reserves, it is just not coming from food. Reduced calories doesn't mean starving yourself!

My suggestion is to eat 5 times a day. With enough food that will fit in one of your hands. You will not starve, and do not count calories. At the same time. I wouldn't suggest eating a handful of fries. Do more food research :P

rushbuster70
08-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Just make sure that you are eating the same, or less calories. You could drink all shakes but if it is more calories then you are burning, you won't lose weight.

Are you giving yourself 1 cheat meal a week?

yup i know.i'll be burning calories like a mofo...no cheat meal that week.LOL I know its gonna be hard but I want to push myself and see how my body reacts.I'll have a bomb cheat meal before I start & a quiznos sub after its over lol

Spec C
08-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Keep in mind periodic "cheat" meals keep metabolism humming. If you are being good all week, take 1 meal(saturday night for instance) and enjoy it.. And after that meal kill it.

The leaner you get, the more important this meal is, and can even morph into a full day "refeed". For now going 1 every two weeks or so is probably fine.

Good luck!

BTW I tried that Lemon Cream Ultra Peptide last night. Holy shit is it good..lol I was a little worried about it, because "lemon" but it was like eating a piece of pie..lol Probably the best tasting protein I have had to date.

Cinnamon roll, tonight.

rushbuster70
08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
where do you get these taster ones?i'm gonna try that stuff you were talking about it but i want to be able to mix in some fruits for extra calories

Spec C
08-02-2011, 08:15 PM

You can add fruit, or fats(pb, evoo, etc) Honestly this shit tastes so good I would just eat my fruit, or nuts, and drink it straight up..lol

Cinnamon roll, is delicious too. Just drank 1 serving, in almond milk...mmm

Diamond08
08-03-2011, 08:47 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/coolgirl20007000/IMG01600-20110803-0746.jpg

started using these last week. Meal replacement shakes. Im using vanilla, it taste really good. My mom gave them too me because my work schedule changed, and its nearly impossible to get food on lunch. And my sleep schedule is really messed up. So its alot more convenient to take a packet and my protein shaker right before I leave to work.

Spec C
08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/coolgirl20007000/IMG01600-20110803-0746.jpg

started using these last week. Meal replacement shakes. Im using vanilla, it taste really good. My mom gave them too me because my work schedule changed, and its nearly impossible to get food on lunch. And my sleep schedule is really messed up. So its alot more convenient to take a packet and my protein shaker right before I leave to work.
What product is it? Can't really see the ingredients. Looks like I see a few free form BCAA's in the ingredients, which is good.

1badLst
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Oh Spec. Ya gotta love the NEWB's who start spouting crap like its gospel and those of us who have been training hard for a while must have been doing it wrong all this time. lol

Diamond08
08-03-2011, 11:57 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/coolgirl20007000/IMG01606-20110803-2336-1.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/coolgirl20007000/IMG01602-20110803-2328.jpg

I read somewhere a small comment about food not being what it used to somewhere in here. My mom had me watch this documentary called Food Matters. Im not sure if any of you on here have seen it. But they have it on Netflix avaliable to play instantly.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Food-Matters/70123196

fucubic
08-04-2011, 02:05 AM
i heard advocare was over priced

Diamond08
08-04-2011, 06:51 AM
https://www.advocare.com/11076216/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=T1251&id=A&flavor=B

the prices can be high. But you can get a membership like cosco for a year and you get 20% discount on all the products. I have a membership.

Spec C
08-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Even at 20% off that is still expensive for what it is.

Concentrate is not what you want to see as the first ingredient of an expensive protein product, a cheaper product sure, but not one at that price point. $30 for 14 servings. For $30 you could get something like this and it is 80 servings. lol No membership required.
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/muscle-gauge-nutrition/american-iso-5-lb.html?sel=4107

Even TruTein is almost 3-4x less expensive and the blend is FAR superior.
http://sportsnutritiononline.com/tns-trutein-5-lb.html

Not to mention it looks like it's main carb source is fructose, which is not really what you want to see.

It doesn't look like a terrible product, just expensive for what it is. I would put that more in the $30 for 60-80 serving range.

Diamond08
08-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah retail price is pretty pricey. My mom is more into fitness, muscle building, going to the gym so she buys alot of products for both her and my step dad. You start off at 20% but my mom just got to a 40% discount.

If it was me buying the products id probably still be a 20%. Im not too much into building muscle. Or going to the gym, maybe 1 day ill start up again. But I guess to give you an idea of my body type im female and 5'3 and weight 110. So im not looking for anything really spcefic. My mom gave them to me because she says im malnourished which is probably true.

Spec C
08-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah retail price is pretty pricey. My mom is more into fitness, muscle building, going to the gym so she buys alot of products for both her and my step dad. You start off at 20% but my mom just got to a 40% discount.

If it was me buying the products id probably still be a 20%. Im not too much into building muscle. Or going to the gym, maybe 1 day ill start up again. But I guess to give you an idea of my body type im female and 5'3 and weight 110. So im not looking for anything really spcefic. My mom gave them to me because she says im malnourished which is probably true.
Even at 40% it is expensive(that product, haven't looked at anything else).

I am just not a fan of these types of companies in general. They are usually overpriced, low quality, or regular every day products, sold at ridiculous prices.

But hey if it works for you!

1badLst
08-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Even at 40% it is expensive(that product, haven't looked at anything else).

I am just not a fan of these types of companies in general. They are usually overpriced, low quality, or regular every day products, sold at ridiculous prices.

But hey if it works for you!

AGREED! I'll stick with what I know works and isn't an arm a nd a leg for price with garbage ingredients. They push advocare at metrogym on the westside. It makes sense seeing how the owners of that gym are completely out of shape and no nothing of fitness nor does their staff.

1badLst
08-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Diamond08 I think is the only female in this forum. Props for even coming in here lol.

Broskiballa
08-05-2011, 01:45 PM

From my above spam wall.
Calorie counting*

How do you think your body starts to retain stored fat? Due to improper eating habits. If you reduce the way you eat all of a sudden and try eating healthy. Your body will not take this kindly. It will do what it has been doing and store the fat because you all of a sudden changed the input of it. Diet Is a huge part of your body's health no doubt. However, PHYSICAL work is 65% *(if not more) of whats needed. If you are over weight the last thing you should be worried about is your muscle gain. Retaining a healthy cardiovascular system is probably higher priority, along with corrective eating (reducing the total amount you eat, and the bullshit you eat..).

If you completely change your diet, your body will not react to this change positively all the time. Staying on a diet is permanent. If you plan on making a change, be dedicated to your health. That doesn't mean you have to spend 2 hours a day thinking about your weight and what you eat. Do it as you go. Take notice at what you're putting into your body (keep a journal if that helps). People are quick to say that its easy for me to say because im fit. Well im 23, yeah my metabolism maybe be in good standing shape. Buts that's because I choose to stay extremely active and don't eat fast food. Its cheap sure, guaranteed anyone can eat something better than some powder that you add water and eggs to and replace that as a meal. Go to walmart, find alternatives and solutions for cooking. There are plenty of ideas online.

Buy any additives you please. I have stayed healthy and grown a well amount of muscle naturally and so can anyone else. It takes just as long for you to gain all that weight as it will loosing it and correcting what you're not pleased with. Fast health is not possible.

idk 2 cents of mine. (sorry for typo's/spam/ mistakes in wording)

1badLst
08-05-2011, 02:09 PM
did you seriously just say that it will take you just as long to lose weight as it will to gain muscle??????????

1badLst
08-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Diamond when are you gonna come lift with us?

Spec C
08-05-2011, 03:15 PM
From my above spam wall.
Calorie counting*

How do you think your body starts to retain stored fat? Due to improper eating habits. If you reduce the way you eat all of a sudden and try eating healthy. Your body will not take this kindly. It will do what it has been doing and store the fat because you all of a sudden changed the input of it. Diet Is a huge part of your body's health no doubt. However, PHYSICAL work is 65% *(if not more) of whats needed. If you are over weight the last thing you should be worried about is your muscle gain. Retaining a healthy cardiovascular system is probably higher priority, along with corrective eating (reducing the total amount you eat, and the bullshit you eat..).

If you completely change your diet, your body will not react to this change positively all the time. Staying on a diet is permanent. If you plan on making a change, be dedicated to your health. That doesn't mean you have to spend 2 hours a day thinking about your weight and what you eat. Do it as you go. Take notice at what you're putting into your body (keep a journal if that helps). People are quick to say that its easy for me to say because im fit. Well im 23, yeah my metabolism maybe be in good standing shape. Buts that's because I choose to stay extremely active and don't eat fast food. Its cheap sure, guaranteed anyone can eat something better than some powder that you add water and eggs to and replace that as a meal. Go to walmart, find alternatives and solutions for cooking. There are plenty of ideas online.

Buy any additives you please. I have stayed healthy and grown a well amount of muscle naturally and so can anyone else. It takes just as long for you to gain all that weight as it will loosing it and correcting what you're not pleased with. Fast health is not possible.

idk 2 cents of mine. (sorry for typo's/spam/ mistakes in wording)
Holy hell, I can't even respond to this, as there is just so much that is wrong..LOL I mean not even a little incorrect, just flat out WRONG...

This one is really a gem.
How do you think your body starts to retain stored fat? Due to improper eating habits. If you reduce the way you eat all of a sudden and try eating healthy. Your body will not take this kindly. It will do what it has been doing and store the fat because you all of a sudden changed the input of itI mean, I can't stress to you how wrong this is. It is like "the world is flat" wrong..haha

did you seriously just say that it will take you just as long to lose weight as it will to gain muscle??????????
ahhaha

rushbuster70
08-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Alright...Here we go.nothing but shakes all week for me.I'll update my weight & progress throughout the week

Spec C
08-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Alright...Here we go.nothing but shakes all week for me.I'll update my weight & progress throughout the week
lol.. good luck with that. Keep us updated.

rushbuster70
08-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Day 1 is done...Weighed in at 252.So far so good on shakes & just fruit :)

fivesfe
08-09-2011, 10:01 PM
a good woman

This!

rushbuster70
08-14-2011, 09:09 PM
After the long hard week I lost roughly 8lbs...Went good.It was hella hard but definitely neat to try.Although I wont try it again lol.Looks like i'm just going to start running more now lol.