PDA

View Full Version : buffing compound removal

Chinky
09-28-2011, 08:27 AM
after paint my car had a cut n buff

the painter told me that the compound would come off as i washed the car, but it hasnt been so easy to get off.

anyone know of anything to remove compound? or and easy way to get it off

thanks

Habmx
09-28-2011, 10:34 AM
In little edges and such I use a soft bristle toothbrush with dishsoap or car wash soap. The longer you let the stuff sit in the sun, the harder it is to get off. It gets to be a real pain after a few weeks.

Chinky
09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
fawk... its been a over a month...

mannys97
09-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Try tr- 3 resin glaze they sale it at napa

EM1 jooowizzzle
09-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a recipe for scratches and swirl marks

Habmx
09-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Try tr- 3 resin glaze they sale it at napa

Hmm. polish to remove polish. interesting idea.

Where is the majority of the compound stuck on?
Moldings, panel gaps, cowl areas?

prelude202
09-28-2011, 01:23 PM
well first of all I hope you clay bar'd first!!

second I use a glaze, ultimate compound, or a ultra polish when I detail customers car who has blemishes. All depends on how the surface looks....

Chinky
09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a recipe for scratches and swirl marks
trying to avoid it

Hmm. polish to remove polish. interesting idea.

Where is the majority of the compound stuck on?
Moldings, panel gaps, cowl areas?
yea molding door handle is where the majority of it is, there is one spot on the lower portion of the door i figured would come out with a couple of washes but i was wrong...

well first of all I hope you clay bar'd first!!

second I use a glaze, ultimate compound, or a ultra polish when I detail customers car who has blemishes. All depends on how the surface looks....

no idea what you just said... clay bar'd the car before the cut n buff or?

i dont know much about detailing to be honest as this is the first car i have painted... everything else was just wash n wax the end

prelude202
09-28-2011, 03:12 PM
you always want to start with a clean surface when detailing.....so wash the car, clay bar it, then grab your orbital polisher (if you have one) as this will enhance your whole detail. since its new paint as you posted use a glaze compound with a polishing pad then switch it to a finishing/wax pad after you have done the whole car with the glaze and polishing pad. Use your favorite wax (me personally I use NXT liquid wax) then your set!!

PM me if you have any questions or need more tips

Habmx
09-28-2011, 04:18 PM
you always want to start with a clean surface when detailing.....so wash the car, clay bar it, then grab your orbital polisher (if you have one) as this will enhance your whole detail. since its new paint as you posted use a glaze compound with a polishing pad then switch it to a finishing/wax pad after you have done the whole car with the glaze and polishing pad. Use your favorite wax (me personally I use NXT liquid wax) then your set!!

PM me if you have any questions or need more tips

He is not asking how to polish his car. He's asking for methods of removing rubbing compound that has dried onto his moldings and such.

prelude202
09-28-2011, 04:24 PM
He is not asking how to polish his car. He's asking for methods of removing rubbing compound that has dried onto his moldings and such.

After re-reading it your correct...but still just take a clay car and it will come off....

EM1 jooowizzzle
09-28-2011, 06:17 PM
clay bar doesnt always reach the tight squeezes.. ive tried and its pretty tough.. im curious myself because i have lots of old wax residue between my molding..
im thinking about re-stirpping all of my polish and wax and redo it all with everything taken apart

Chinky
09-28-2011, 06:51 PM
i will try clay bar...

degreaser or anything of that sort wont take it off without hurting the paint

that one da
09-28-2011, 07:11 PM
swirl remover workks really well actaully you just have to have a buffer and a sponge pad attachment.... where is the compound at exactly? the moldings or inbetween fenders/doors/sideskirts/everyfuckin gap? lol when i get it out of taillight gaps and inbetween my fenders i usually get the car in the shade let it cool down and soak the whole car, wash it/get the gaps with toothpicks and qtips but do it lightly.im doing the same shit as you :'( lol oh and washing it wont get it off you will have to physically touch it with something ex:rag,toothbrush,qtip to get it to come off.

Chinky
09-28-2011, 07:28 PM
its all crunchy n hard now tho...

this is bull shit... i will pay someone to do it.

molding and door handle mostly

that one da
09-28-2011, 08:29 PM
post a pic, mabey swing by one day and ill help you out.

Chinky
09-28-2011, 09:19 PM
i will in the AM its hella dark outside

that one da
09-28-2011, 09:23 PM
wrd

Chinky
09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
its not even that bad, just the car being a dark color it stands out like woah

that one da
09-28-2011, 09:45 PM
yeah i know exactly how you feel i just got done cleaning mine up and its black O.O

Chinky
09-29-2011, 07:14 AM
bout the jist of it, both sides are like this...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/chinkyeyedemcee/bfdf5b4e.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/chinkyeyedemcee/a7460c61.jpg

Habmx
09-29-2011, 10:29 AM
the soapy water and toothbrush idea didn't work? you might have to scrub a bit really carefully.

Chinky
09-29-2011, 10:31 AM
really only have time sunday, i will try a few things suggested in here tho

that one da
09-29-2011, 12:03 PM
just get it wet and use your finger nail or a wipe it gently with a q tip or toothpick, sucks they diddnt take the moldings off to buff :/ just make sure you do it in the shade. it will make it alot easier

Chinky
10-01-2011, 11:25 AM
q tips seems to do good the tight places im a need something smaller sooo much to do tho thanks guys

Habmx
10-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Let us know how it goes

that one da
10-01-2011, 05:11 PM
if you get the rounded tooth picks for like arts and crafts it wont scratch the paint.