PDA

View Full Version : Protein powder/ supplement recommendations

projectaccord
10-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Im aiming to put on some good weight ive lossed over a period of time and figured id ask for some good advice to point me in the right direction. In the period of almost 3 years at my job ive dropped about 35lbs so im looking to get some of it back. Im doing constant repetitive lifting and moving all night and was curious if some sort of weight gain supp. Or protein powder would be a good start. Im 6'2", 175-180lbs at the moment. My metabolism seems to be decently high considering i eat anything and everything whenever im hungry and dont gain any weight. I work overnights so my sleep and eating schedule is never consistant. Any input is much appreciated.

Spec C
10-13-2011, 09:11 AM
This is my preferred protein.. It is a good HIGH quality blend, taste amazing, and you can add anything you want to it to tailor it to your needs.
http://www.bestpricenutrition.com/trutein-protein-5lbs.html

Cinnamon bun is ridiculous..lol

Add peanut butter, almond butter, oats, bananas, etc to increase calories, and make it more of a "meal replacement".

projectaccord
10-13-2011, 09:38 AM
This is my preferred protein.. It is a good HIGH quality blend, taste amazing, and you can add anything you want to it to tailor it to your needs.

Add peanut butter, almond butter, oats, bananas, etc to increase calories, and make it more of a "meal replacement".
Cinnamon bun? I didnt see that flavor listed, but all the others sound tasty lol. Do you know of a place in town that sell the same product, or do i have to order?

Spec C
10-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Cinnamon bun? I didnt see that flavor listed, but all the others sound tasty lol. Do you know of a place in town that sell the same product, or do i have to order?

Huh? It is the first option in the drop down menu on that link..lol

No where in town sells it.

If you want order some samples from their site for like $1 before you buy full tubs. I can't see anyone not liking Cinnamon Bun. Vanilla is killer too.
http://www.truscience.com/samples.html

projectaccord
10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I didnt actually check the drop down box i just read the info. Im definately going to order one of each sample and go from there. A coworker of mine was telling me its a good idea to do some sort of full body cleanse before starting a better diet like im going to attempt. What do you think?

Spec C
10-13-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't personally like those. Once you get a good deit going, with the added fiber, etc you will "cleanse". I typically reccomend atleast a few table spoons of psyllium husk a day. I try and get atleast 15+g a day.

You can get it in bulk at sprouts for cheap, or just buy some sugar free metimucil.

projectaccord
10-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Awesome ill see how this all goes. Im hoping to start everything when i get back from vacation.

Spec C
10-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Good luck

projectaccord
10-14-2011, 07:19 AM
ordered a sample of each flavor :thumbup:

Spec C
10-14-2011, 10:12 AM
I really love both Vanilla, and Cinn. I rarely every "drink" shakes and usually use my powder to make Protein "sludge" or "Fluff". I had some vanilla sludge, with cashew butter last night, it was heavenly..lol

projectaccord
10-14-2011, 03:42 PM
I really love both Vanilla, and Cinn. I rarely every "drink" shakes and usually use my powder to make Protein "sludge" or "Fluff". I had some vanilla sludge, with cashew butter last night, it was heavenly..lol

Im looking forward to trying the cinnabun flavor. Whats the difference between shakes, sludge, and fluff lol? Ive never used any kind of powder or suppliment so this is all kind of new to me.

bb4arson
10-14-2011, 03:56 PM

How much is shipping from trutien?

Spec C
10-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Im looking forward to trying the cinnabun flavor. Whats the difference between shakes, sludge, and fluff lol? Ive never used any kind of powder or suppliment so this is all kind of new to me.
Shake is well, a shake.. You mix it in a cup and drink it.

I find eating it more enjoyable, especially like right now where my calories are low.

Fluff, you whip with a mixer, and it turns into a fluffy concoction. I will freeze it for 10-30min and it is like a frozen treat, that is VERY filling. I will usually use some red raspberries, and/or some almond/cashew butter. I will usually use 1scoop of Ultra Peptide 2.0 in this as it fluffs up a lot more.
http://www.proteinfluff.com/

SLudge is the powder mixed with a very small amount of liquid(water, milk, almond milk) with PB, almond butter, or cashew butter. Throw it back in the freezer for a lil and it is more like a pudding. Vanilla, or Cinn protein with almond or cashew butter is amazing stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3KREjvUTzM

I usually don't use berries in my sluge.

How much is shipping from trutien?
I dunno. I don't order directly from Tru Nutrition Sciences. I usually get mine from SportsNutritionOnline, but their site is down for a little bit for updates, or GetRippedNutrition, but they are out of Cinn and Vanilla.

If you go on TruNutritionSciences site they have a list of retailers.
http://www.truscience.com/retailers.html

I gotta order some samples of choc banana, and choc strawberry I have had them and they were good but it was a long time ago. I am kinda burned out on Choc flavors, and Vanilla and Cinn are good as hell.

projectaccord
10-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Hmm it sounds enjoyable either way.

Spec C
10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Hmm it sounds enjoyable either way.

Well I have been drinking shakes for like 7+ years, so it is a bit different..lol Much nicer to feel like I am getting something totally different.

Flavor systems have come such a long way over the years it isn't even funny. I remember having to literally POUND a shake down, as they tasted like shit. Now there are so many good tasting powders it isn't even funny. It it actually enjoyable.

projectaccord
10-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Ive been eating protein bars lately to up my intake and ive noticed the flavor thing. Metrxx bars are f'ing horrible. I like the lean protein bars though.

projectaccord
10-19-2011, 05:10 PM
My samples came in the mail today. Is it better to use this stuff pre or post workout? Most of the research ive done said post but figured id ask anyeays.

Spec C
10-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Either is fine. It is a good all around blend. "ideally" you would use a straight whey/isolate post workout, but it isn't an issue, and this contains whey/isolate as well.

I use it anytime.

projectaccord
10-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Awesome. Im gonna try the cinnabun flavor tonight before work.

Spec C
10-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Report back sir. What are you mixing it with, water or milk?

projectaccord
10-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Most likely milk. Ive felt kind of tired lately so the extra calories might help.

Spec C
10-19-2011, 06:02 PM
I just had some vanilla "sludge" with cashew butter, and it was delightful..lol

projectaccord
10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Cinnabon is absolutely delicious!

Spec C
10-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Cinnabon is absolutely delicious!

heh.. told you. It is almost like there is no way there is no sugar/fat in it...lol Shit makes me feel guilty.

projectaccord
10-19-2011, 09:53 PM
heh.. told you. It is almost like there is no way there is no sugar/fat in it...lol Shit makes me feel guilty.

Yeah id rather make a shake with this stuff than actually eat a cinnamon bun. It definately cures cravings for sweets/sugar. Do you use them as meal replacements or just as an added "treat" and a protein boost.

projectaccord
10-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Double post fail

Spec C
10-20-2011, 05:09 AM
Yeah id rather make a shake with this stuff than actually eat a cinnamon bun. It definately cures cravings for sweets/sugar. Do you use them as meal replacements or just as an added "treat" and a protein boost.

I use it as part of, or as the protein content of a meal. Like I said, I will mix it with some sort of nut butter, for fat.

Spec C
10-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Just saw they have a limited run of banana cream. Just ordered 2..

projectaccord
10-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Banana cream sounds good. I had some plain chocolate with some oatmeal this morning and it wasnt bad. In not a big chocolate person though. But i made a chocolate covered banana shake and it was bomb though.

Spec C
10-21-2011, 10:37 AM
I am burned out on chocolate, as it is all I drank FOR EVER as all other flavors back in the day sucked. Just this last couple years did flavorings REALLY start getting on point.

CInnamon with oatmeal is bomb. Just cook the oatmeal as you normally would, so it is dry-ish by the time it is done in the micro. Then add your powder directly into the oatmeal, and stir it up. Add water, almond milk, or milk to the desired "milkyness" and you got a nice lil meal. Even some almond, walnut, cashew pieces in there for some texture, and fat.. bomb.

Can't wait to get this banana cream as Banana Cream proteins, are some of my favorite. I got a sample of the choc banana, and choc strawberry coming with it as well.

projectaccord
10-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Chocolate banana is pretty good. I just had some chocolate strawberry and it wasnt bad. I threw some oats In the shake to fill me up more and i think they were a little undercooked so it was kind of dryish lol, but still good. Im going to trt the vanilla and chocolate peanut butter cup then make my decision on which to order. Im definatelt leaning towards cinnabun though.

Spec C
10-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Imo Vanilla, CInn bun, for sure. Vanilla is so versatile for mixing with cereal, oats, etc. Choc Pb is ok, but def. no where near my favorite.

bseries1320
10-21-2011, 09:09 PM
i go to tommys on 35th and union.i get the bucket of protein for $59.99.(vanilla)

& yes i mean BUCKET.handle and all..

every scoop is 63g of protein.i manage to get 25-30 shakes per bucket.worth the buy IMO.if your gonna spend $6 on 1 shake from a protein shop,might as well buy it by the bucket

Spec C
10-21-2011, 09:18 PM
i go to tommys on 35th and union.i get the bucket of protein for $59.99.(vanilla)

every scoop is 63g of protein.i manage to get 25-30 shakes per bucket.worth the buy IMO.if your gonna spend $6 on 1 shake from a protein shop,might as well buy it by the bucket

How many lb, and what brand/product is it?

That must be huge ass scoops if one scoop has 63g of protein in it..lol

Dsquared Upholstery
10-22-2011, 12:52 AM

Been there. I used to train at the fitness one that was over there. I like the shakes at Tommy's but the dude is a bit of a doucher.

projectaccord
10-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Wow 63g per scoop is crazy lol

Spec C
10-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Wow 63g per scoop is crazy lol

I don't buy it..lol Unless the scoop is ginormous. Maybe 63g per SERVING.

Curious as to what brand it is.

projectaccord
10-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Me too. For a huge tub to make 25-30 shakes seems like it uses alot of powder, but maybe im wrong.

On another note choc peanutbutter cup tastes like blended reeses cup. Im debating on ordering a smaller tub of this and waiting to be able to order a smaller tub of cinnabun.

Spec C
10-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Me too. For a huge tub to make 25-30 shakes seems like it uses alot of powder, but maybe im wrong.

On another note choc peanutbutter cup tastes like blended reeses cup. Im debating on ordering a smaller tub of this and waiting to be able to order a smaller tub of cinnabun.

You should order ASAP as they are on sale right now until tomorrow on their site.

Id get the large, as they are quite a bit "cheaper" per serving. Pay a lil more up front, but it is worth it. Shit I usually order like 30+lbs at a time, just so I don't have to keep ordering for 3-4 months.

projectaccord
10-22-2011, 03:08 PM
You should order ASAP as they are on sale right now until tomorrow on their site.

Id get the large, as they are quite a bit "cheaper" per serving. Pay a lil more up front, but it is worth it. Shit I usually order like 30+lbs at a time, just so I don't have to keep ordering for 3-4 months.

Damn Id like to do that but financea wont allow it right now after my vacation last week :/ im going to place my order right now since i just finished my last flavor sample.

projectaccord
10-22-2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3017358

any input on the gnc brand whey? the wife said shed rather me save $25 with our gold card and not have to wait for my order to come in lol.

bseries1320
10-25-2011, 11:49 AM
How many lb, and what brand/product is it?

That must be huge ass scoops if one scoop has 63g of protein in it..lol

10lbs?not sure.next time I'm in there ill chime in and tell ya.
As for the scoop size,I would say its normal sized compared to others.

bseries1320
10-25-2011, 11:51 AM

Yes it is per serving.the serving size is 1.so I weight 125,I put 2 in.

Spec C
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
10lbs?not sure.next time I'm in there ill chime in and tell ya.
As for the scoop size,I would say its normal sized compared to others.

If 1 scoop holds 63g worth of protein it has to be enormous..lol

Most scoops dole out like 25g of protein, which is like 30-35g of actual powder(flavoring, etc)

Something is not adding up.

Def. let me know what brand it is the next time you go in there. Just curious.

bb4arson
10-25-2011, 04:41 PM

any input on the gnc brand whey? the wife said shed rather me save $25 with our gold card and not have to wait for my order to come in lol.

that taste like dump bro.

Spec C
10-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Plus it is probably 90% concentrate.. Not really comparable.

taggart_lumpy
10-25-2011, 05:46 PM
currently using gold standard white chocolate mixed with powdered milk

works for me

projectaccord
10-26-2011, 02:00 AM
i ended up trying to take advantage of my gnc gold card and bought some to try it out. its definately not amazing tasting but i seem to be able to stomach it ok lol.

Plus it is probably 90% concentrate.. Not really comparable.concentrate being bad i take it? im beginning to think i made a mistake in purchasing it :/

currently using gold standard white chocolate mixed with powdered milk

works for me
is there a difference from powered milk and normal liquid milk?

Spec C
10-26-2011, 06:21 AM
concentrate being bad i take it? im beginning to think i made a mistake in purchasing it :/

"Bad" depends on how you look at it.. It is CHEAP as shit, it is typically higher in lactose and will bother people who are more sensitive to it. ETC.

Additionally "whey" is used rapidly, and really most idea pre/intra/post workout IMO.

I mean you could "make gains" eating cheese burgers from McDonalds, or filet mignon it doesn't make them comparable in terms of quality however.

Trutein also has free form Leucine added which is a big plus IMO.

Not to mention it has 175g less protein per 5lb jug, so if you paid say $39 after tax, and there is 75 x 20g servings in it..... $39/75= $.52 cents per serving, to make up that 175 of protein difference you need 8.75 servings extra, 8.75 x .52= $4.55. So you paid $43.55 for an inferior product, and that is assuming you only paid $39 for it.

projectaccord
10-26-2011, 06:51 AM
The total came out to $32 and some change i believe. I still intend on ordering some trutein, hopefully with this weeks paycheck. I can definately tell a differnece between the two. Trutein doesnt make my stomach feel miserably full after using it, and i feel like my body recouporates(?) faster.

Spec C
10-26-2011, 09:38 AM
$32 out the door is pretty cheap. That would probably be the most I would ever pay for that kind of product. Even then I was getting myofusion for $30 before this damn protein price hike, which IMO is better then that.

Personally, I am just not a fan of GNC in general...lol

Trutein isn't the only good product out there FWIW. There are a lot of decent products.

projectaccord
10-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah ive been looking into some of the other products i can buy from them. Like syntha6 and muscle tech. Its just easier for me to be able to just go to a store than order. It sucks having to order trutein cuz it tastes amazing lol. Its not too pricey either its just the whole waiting for a shipment thing.

taggart_lumpy
10-26-2011, 02:38 PM
is there a difference from powered milk and normal liquid milk?

i can carry it premixed in a ziplock bag

nelsmar
10-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Ew on taste, gave me gas, made me nauseated. I got it as a temp protein while i waited for my order to come in the mail... Waiting isn't that bad, just make sure you order 1-2 weeks before you run out. I Just buy multiple jugs at once.

Spec C
10-26-2011, 03:42 PM
My buddy got his Banana Cream Trutein and said it is amazing.

Somehow even though I ordered mine the first day of the sale, it didn't ship..lol Glad I got 2 though.

Ew on taste, gave me gas, made me nauseated. I got it as a temp protein while i waited for my order to come in the mail... Waiting isn't that bad, just make sure you order 1-2 weeks before you run out. I Just buy multiple jugs at once.
heh.. not surprising.

What do you use regularly?

Spec C
10-27-2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/vpx-sports/syngex-5-lbs.html?sel=3191

Cheap...

projectaccord
10-28-2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/vpx-sports/syngex-5-lbs.html?sel=3191

Cheap...

not bad. they sell this brand at gnc so id be able to pick it up at my expense. whats the difference between a straight whey and a whey isolate?

also would a weight/mass gainer be worth using?

Spec C
10-28-2011, 04:24 PM
not bad. they sell this brand at gnc so id be able to pick it up at my expense. whats the difference between a straight whey and a whey isolate?

also would a weight/mass gainer be worth using?

I wouldn't even get that product unless it was under $30 like that sale.

No need for a mass gainer really.. You can just add your own fats/carbs for WAY cheaper. Just throw in some evoo, evco, mac oil, almond butter, PB, cashew butter, etc, etc for fats.. Some oats, cereal, or whatever you want for carbs.

Isolate is typically of higher quality, less fat, less lactose, etc.

nelsmar
10-28-2011, 04:32 PM
My buddy got his Banana Cream Trutein and said it is amazing.

Somehow even though I ordered mine the first day of the sale, it didn't ship..lol Glad I got 2 though.

heh.. not surprising.

What do you use regularly?

Commonly Gold Standard Whey Isolate / Casein. Though for a little bit i was using syntha6 for my night time shake as it tastes damn good ai was wanting something as a treat. I just ordered 2 jugs of Trutein to give it a try as you recommended. We already had this conversation remember? :P I only have ~3-5 days of Casein left so i figured i would give that a shot.

Just can't stand that GNC generic stuff, there is still a smaller jug of it in a cupboard somewhere in my house.

Spec C
10-28-2011, 04:59 PM
What Trutein did you roll with?

Lol my memory is bad as I talk diet with about 25 people a day.

nelsmar
10-29-2011, 06:14 AM
What Trutein did you roll with?

Lol my memory is bad as I talk diet with about 25 people a day.

rofl understood. I grabbed a tin of chocolate banana, and chocolate peanuts butter. They didn't have a 2.5lb tin of the cinnabun from the shop i ordered from. I'll give it a try next month when i restock. I didn't wanna order 5lb of it and be "meh" on it. Then again... I've never wasted protein. I don't really bother with samples these days they are all good enough flavor / texture that i just order 2-3lb and go for it, even if its "meh".

Spec C
10-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Ahh got ya. Choc Pb is probably my least favorite flavor. It is still good, but I am just burned out on Choc. Vanilla, and Cinn for me is where it is at. And I can't wait for my damn Banana Cream to come, as my friend who got his already, said it is killer.

I have a sample of the Choc Banana coming, I am curious to try it/hear your thoughts on it.

nelsmar
10-29-2011, 07:27 AM
i'll post back here when i get it, i think it comes in Monday. And I feel you, I'm pretty burnt on Choc. but Choc + Peanut butter mmm thats what i have richt now in syntha6 i just love how it tastes so i ended up ordering a5lb tin a while back (back when i used to be active lifting) as more of a treat based protein.

Spec C
10-29-2011, 09:10 AM
You want some awesome "treat" protein look into UltraPeptide 2.0. Shit is amazing..lol

but the trutein cinnamon bun, is actually better then theirs.

rosspetersonn
05-18-2012, 11:57 PM
As per my overview, Banana cream sounds good. I had some plain chocolate with some oatmeal this morning and it wasnt bad. In not a big chocolate person though. But i made a chocolate covered banana shake and it was bomb though.

Waffle_Taco
05-22-2012, 09:29 PM
take protien and eat lots of chicken and did i say more protien

skar1.0
05-26-2012, 06:06 PM
So I am unsure as to how much protein I should be taking in and before I adjust my diet I want to be sure I am on point as far as protein intake, is it one gram per pound of body weight? Or body mass? I currently have a shake with approximately 50g of protein after working out. Breakfast consists of cereal, yogurt cup, bottle of water before school around 8am, granola bar, water or iced tea at 10am, then big gap before I eat on my break at work around 6-7pm which is usually a turkey sandwich or tuna sandwich with iced tea or water. Off to the gym after work get there around 10pm take a pre-wo drink if needed.
Ok so I know I'm not taking in enough calories to get the gains I want, on days I don't work and just have class I have another meal in the afternoon around 3pm which is usually pasta, steamed vegetables, and chicken or tuna. My main question is would it be ok to add a shake after class around 2pm on the days I head straight to work after class? Certain days I leave my house at 8am and don't get home till 1 or 2am after I leave the gym, I don't want to go back to eating fast food because it's more convenient on those long days, aside from precooking my food and taking it with me in the morning would it be ok to have a shake or two, one in the afternoon and another an hour before I hit the gym? Thanks for any advice.
Sorry for the long post just making sure I give more info behind the question.

Spec C
05-27-2012, 09:06 AM
1g/lb is on the low end. I would probably go with at least 1.25g/lb.

No issues with a couple shakes a day IMO. People make too big a deal of shakes. Whey is loaded with leucine/aminos.

Just get the calories in one way or another. If you have no choice but to drink a few shakes a day do it.

A blend like "Trutein" might be a better choice then straight whey as it contains cassein(and egg white) which tends to keep people a bit fuller for longer.

neveragain
05-27-2012, 12:16 PM
I did the GNC generic whey for a while. The only one I could stand was vanilla. You could throw anything in there and it would taste okay.

I'm going to order some samples from trutein, though. It sounds awesome. Spec sold me on it.

Spec C
05-27-2012, 12:20 PM
I did the GNC generic whey for a while. The only one I could stand was vanilla. You could throw anything in there and it would taste okay.

I'm going to order some samples from trutein, though. It sounds awesome. Spec sold me on it.

Typically vanilla, and cinn bun are crowd favorites..heh

skar1.0
05-27-2012, 02:14 PM
1g/lb is on the low end. I would probably go with at least 1.25g/lb.

No issues with a couple shakes a day IMO. People make too big a deal of shakes. Whey is loaded with leucine/aminos.

Just get the calories in one way or another. If you have no choice but to drink a few shakes a day do it.

A blend like "Trutein" might be a better choice then straight whey as it contains cassein(and egg white) which tends to keep people a bit fuller for longer.

Thanks for the reply man

Spec C
05-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Oh additionally if you're trying to grow and are short on calories you want to be adding fat(or carbs) to those shake meals. Bring a few zipoloc bags with almonds in them, or add evoo/evco to your shakes. Whatever you gotta do. I'd try and not have protein only meals.

skar1.0
05-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Definitely will man thank you