PDA

View Full Version : need to get a crank pulley off

jdmman
10-17-2011, 12:05 AM
looking for someone with an impact gun to help me get the crank pulley off an ls. you won't have to travel, I'll just load the block on the back of a truck and drive to you.

crxhfb16
10-17-2011, 07:20 AM
by the tool it will come in handy more times then you think. this is the 1 i got.
http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ

jdmman
10-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Hmm for 16 bucks it might not be a bad investment at all, how does that tool work?

DarkAngel
10-17-2011, 11:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CridrQKj3E&feature=fvwrel

This is overkill but sometimes you have to do what you gotta do. This at least shows you how the tool works.

I used a Vise Grip Chain wrench and worked perfectly for me.

http://images.shopletcdn.com/productimages/300x300/585-20R.EPS.JPG

jdmman
10-17-2011, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CridrQKj3E&feature=fvwrel

This is overkill but sometimes you have to do what you gotta do. This at least shows you how the tool works.

I used a Vise Grip Chain wrench and worked perfectly for me.

http://images.shopletcdn.com/productimages/300x300/585-20R.EPS.JPG
the problem is that the motor is not in the car , its actually jst the block...

DarkAngel
10-17-2011, 09:53 PM
the problem is that the motor is not in the car , its actually jst the block...

As to why I posted just so you can see how the tool works. Just position the block in a way that you can get leverage. You are going to be going in opposite directions anyways with the tool. The tool is holding the crank pulley so you can turn the bolt. Or if someone is available, use an impact gun.

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/16589.jpg

Dead Bird
10-17-2011, 10:15 PM
You can also rent that tool that goes inside it at checker or autozone for free....

DarkAngel
10-17-2011, 10:23 PM
^^^^ He speaks of the truth! Of course you put down the deposit but you get it back.

jdmman
10-18-2011, 12:29 AM
right but doing it that way will probably be more of a pain in the ass

onefst91hatch
10-18-2011, 01:16 AM
i have the tool man. where about you stay?

dsack
10-18-2011, 04:33 AM
lol i used that chain before and a1/2 inch breaker bar 8 feet long..

i have a compressor and air 1/2 gun
pm you

jdmman
10-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Appreciate the responses, ill get back to u guys when i get off work.

Dual_Air_Bag
10-18-2011, 02:21 PM
When we took mine off, we use a breaker bar and extended the bar with a 10 footer over it. Broke two breaker bar in the processes, but they had life time warranty.

#@©|<£°\

THE Slow 5.oh?
10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I had my dad hold the pulley with his hands while I hit it with a 3/4 drive IR impact.....once the bolt was out it came off easy...whats all the fuss over? The bolt? Hit it with a friggin impact with more then 500 ft/lbs an that shit will come right off...

jdmman
10-18-2011, 05:37 PM
I had my dad hold the pulley with his hands while I hit it with a 3/4 drive IR impact.....once the bolt was out it came off easy...whats all the fuss over? The bolt? Hit it with a friggin impact with more then 500 ft/lbs an that shit will come right off...

Read my first post...that was kinda the idea

taggart_lumpy
10-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Bfh

THE Slow 5.oh?
10-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Read my first post...that was kinda the idea

where you located? if your close to my pops an i got the gas ill meet you there with my impact....

Mr.Burner
10-18-2011, 10:43 PM
I've had some where i had to get a n 1in impact to get the fucker loose. But for the most part my electric impact works fine.

Although the special tool is nice to have. GL hope you got taken care of.

jdmman
10-19-2011, 12:23 AM
where you located? if your close to my pops an i got the gas ill meet you there with my impact....

pmed

jdmman
10-19-2011, 09:38 PM
bump...i pmed a few people and no ones gotten back to me
i still need to get this thing off...anyone?

EJ8_CIVIC
10-19-2011, 10:01 PM
lol you shud try the mexican tire shops im sure there down to do it

Boorder
10-20-2011, 03:36 AM
I'm no expert but I would suggest that you use an air gun with the proper sized socket.You have to still remove the inner wheel well cover and the drivers side tire though .A breaker bar can be difficult, sometimes impossible if you have never broken it loose before.

And be extra careful not to pry and damage the main seal, don't try to dig the pulley off. Hope it helps.

EJ8_CIVIC
10-20-2011, 09:08 AM
^ the motor is it out of the car its just a block.

jdmman
10-20-2011, 03:31 PM
lol you shud try the mexican tire shops im sure there down to do it
Lol how much would they charge?

I'm no expert but I would suggest that you use an air gun with the proper sized socket.You have to still remove the inner wheel well cover and the drivers side tire though .A breaker bar can be difficult, sometimes impossible if you have never broken it loose before.

And be extra careful not to pry and damage the main seal, don't try to dig the pulley off. Hope it helps.
Def useful info, thnx

DarkAngel
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM

Def useful info, thnx

Just tell them you will give them a six pack or something. That has worked in the past for me LOL. Maybe they will do it for free? IDK just take the motor with you since its out. They should be able to remove it while in your trunk or something. Try Pepboys or any tire shop. They all have impact guns in their shops.

EJ8_CIVIC
10-20-2011, 07:34 PM

just tell them how much they would charge some are cool and do it for free but dont pay anything more then 5 bucks lol it takes less then a min of there time

jdmman
10-20-2011, 10:18 PM
alright i'll give it a shot and see wsup

C.R.A.Y.
10-20-2011, 10:39 PM
motor have the flywheel on it?
if so, old school trick, put a bolt in below the head that holds the tranny to the block, then get another bolt that bolts the tranny to the block and set the head of said bolt to wedge in the tooth of the flywheel and the other bolt you put in the block. That will prevent the crank from turning, breaker bar or breaker bar with a jack handle on the end of it will break it loose if you dont have a vagina.

jdmman
10-22-2011, 06:52 PM
motor have the flywheel on it?
if so, old school trick, put a bolt in below the head that holds the tranny to the block, then get another bolt that bolts the tranny to the block and set the head of said bolt to wedge in the tooth of the flywheel and the other bolt you put in the block. That will prevent the crank from turning, breaker bar or breaker bar with a jack handle on the end of it will break it loose if you dont have a vagina.
haha well tomorrow i have nothing to do all day so im gonna start messing with it. can you explain a little more on where exactly do i put the bolts? :biggrin:
anyway if this doesn't work then i'll start hitting up tire shops lol

jdmman
10-24-2011, 07:33 PM
finally got the bolt loose. took it down to pepboys and got taken care of for free. :biggrin: